Monday, March 19, 2018

Dream Chaser test succeeds despite glitch

Posted on Wednesday, 30 October, 2013 | Comment icon 15 comments

The Dream Chaser's design is very similar to NASA's space shuttles. Image Credit: NASA / Ken Ulbrich
The first test flight of a new prototype space plane went according to plan aside from a slight mishap.
Developed by Sierra Nevada Corp in partnership with NASA, the Dream Chaser is intended to act as a replacement to the retired space shuttle fleet by providing a way for astronauts to fly back and forth from the International Space Station.

The vehicle, which resembles a miniature space shuttle, took a big step forwards on Saturday when a successful glide test was conducted at Edwards Air Force Base in California. The plane was lifted to a height of 12,500ft before being released and took one minute to glide back down to the runway.

The flight went almost perfectly except for a problem with one of the landing gears which did not deploy, resulting in the plane skidding on to the sand. Despite the setback however the test was deemed a success.

When completed, the Dream Chaser will be capable of taking off vertically on an Atlas V rocket and carrying up to seven astronauts to the space station before returning to the Earth.

Source: Sky News | Comments (15)

Tags: Dream Chaser

Comment icon #6 Posted by pallidin on 30 October, 2013, 21:38
I would agree. A "glitch" is considered semi non-cosequential unless on a hard level, but a failure on landing gear deployment is potentially fatal. Waspie, please do not try to refute that. I know you will try, as the craft "slided"
Comment icon #7 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 30 October, 2013, 23:16
Waspie, please do not try to refute that. I know you will try, as the craft "slided" Don't tell me what I (or anyone else ) can or can't say. Not only is it annoying it is also against the rules of this site: 5. Etiquette In the interests of maintaining constructive and friendly discussions:5f. Balanced debate: Do not make posts forbidding opposing viewpoints or make derogatory personal observations designed to dismiss or belittle another member's opinion ( such as accusing them of being mentally ill or being paid to post. ) All sides of a debate should be represented. Besides I don't need to ... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by pallidin on 31 October, 2013, 1:46
OK, so how exactly is a "glitch" in a failure of the landing gear be considered other than a MAJOR potentially catastrophic event? I do not view that as a "glitch", rather a substantial concern. That's my view anyway. Thank you, and sorry for my previous perceived attack.
Comment icon #9 Posted by DONTEATUS on 31 October, 2013, 3:32
Is there any footage of the Dream Chaser going off the end ?
Comment icon #10 Posted by seeder on 31 October, 2013, 7:42
Is there any footage of the Dream Chaser going off the end ? No I already looked, they said they are holding that footage back for 'analysis' etc
Comment icon #11 Posted by Uncle Sam on 31 October, 2013, 8:05
And I thought NASA wasn't going to get a replacement for the space shuttle. I thought for sure that the space shuttle would be the last of its kind, leaving NASA unable to repair any equipment that they have up there that is not connected directly to the space station. This is very good news! ... Obama better not kill this shuttle before it gets a chance to shine or I will be extremely p***ed. I would agree. A "glitch" is considered semi non-cosequential unless on a hard level, but a failure on landing gear deployment is potentially fatal. Waspie, please do not try to refute that. I know you w... [More]
Comment icon #12 Posted by Leonardo on 31 October, 2013, 12:05
Fluffy dice in the cockpit!
Comment icon #13 Posted by skookum on 31 October, 2013, 15:52
The wheel failure may have actually done them a favour in a strange sort of way. I understand it survived the incident very well and all onboard equipment was unscathed.
Comment icon #14 Posted by seeder on 1 November, 2013, 11:59
Heres a quote: "Everything worked well for the automated Dream Chaser model until the end, when the left landing gear deployed too late and the test vehicle skidded off the runway". Company space systems chief Mark Sirangelo said Tuesday that damage was minor. "The left gear was still attached and the tire wasn't even shredded, he said. The crew cabin area was unscathed and astronauts would have been uninjured, he said.
Comment icon #15 Posted by DONTEATUS on 3 November, 2013, 23:45
ITs still a Step into the Right Directions ! Keep-em-Flying !

Giant yellow inflatable duck goes missing
A swimming club in Australia has appealed for ships to keep a look out for its recently escaped mascot.
Could 'super corals' repopulate coral reefs ?
Scientists are attempting to create a breed of coral that is more resistant to the effects of global warming.
Did cold weather really kill the president ?
In 1841, ninth US President William Henry Harrison died of pneumonia after a mere 31 days in office.
Flying drone could launch to Mars in 2020
NASA scientists are considering whether or not to send their lightweight robotic helicopter drone to Mars.
Monkeys learn to socialize
Posted 3-18-2018 | 0 comments
These young vervet monkeys must learn to socialize before being released in to the wild.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Michio Kaku on asteroid mining
Posted 3-13-2018 | 1 comment
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku discusses the possibility of mining asteroids in space.
Fastest people in slow motion
Posted 3-12-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the world's fastest card thrower and an amazing fast draw world champion.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA