Saturday, August 8, 2020

Man-eating Leopard is 'targeting drunks'

Posted on Sunday, 14 September, 2014 | Comment icon 46 comments

Leopards do attack humans on rare occasions. Image Credit: CC BY 3.0 Karamash
A particularly deadly big cat is thought to have killed 12 people from remote Himalayan villages.
The large feline has been terrorizing villagers for more than two years and all attempts to hunt it down have failed.

Since January 2012 it is believed to have feasted upon a dozen people from the villages of Simar, Badeth and Kotali with the last victim being a 44-year-old man who was killed earlier this year.

The animal seems to be primarily targeting people who are drunk or who are traveling alone during the night.
"Villagers are terrorised by the wild animals and it's almost impossible to venture out after dark," said Kotali villager Madan Paneru. "People carry sticks with them and remain alert all the time."

Wildlife conservationist Belinda Wright doesn't believe that the leopard is targetting drunk people as such but rather that inebriated villagers are perhaps an easier target in general.

"Quite frankly when people are drunk and weave their way back home to the village they are easy prey," she said. "I don't think the leopard is targeting drunk people, just people stumbling along the path at night. I'm sure you won't taste any better because you've consumed liquor."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (46)

Tags: Leopard, Himalayas

Comment icon #37 Posted by quiXilver on 15 September, 2014, 23:10
In the mangrove swamps in parts of India where man-eating tigers prowl and frequently kill humans, they have learned that a simple plastic mask that looks like a human face worn on the back of head, will stop most of the tiger attacks, because as you have said, the cats will attack from behind, and this confuses them as to which way the prey is facing. while I like the idea, how do they know it prevents attacks? it's tough to prove a negative.
Comment icon #38 Posted by Sundew on 16 September, 2014, 0:33
while I like the idea, how do they know it prevents attacks? it's tough to prove a negative. I think it's a matter of numbers: attacks with, and without, using the masks. Seems like the numbers dropped off with use. It in the area of India called the Sundarbands, the largest mangrove forest in the world. Mangroves are trees that grow in and around sea water, so you have in the Sundarbands a huge tidal flooded forest. I think the local are going in for fish, crabs, firewood, etcetera but the area is full of Bengal Tigers and prey items must be rather few and far between, so many have turned to ... [More]
Comment icon #39 Posted by Lilly on 16 September, 2014, 9:16
I find that being **** faced drunk often dulls the pain of being mauled by large animals. Yeah, but do this with a leopard and you'll do it only once.
Comment icon #40 Posted by regeneratia on 17 September, 2014, 4:16
But I could really go off on this one, but I won't. Just know I am biting my tongue (or my typing fingers),
Comment icon #41 Posted by DefenceMinisterMishkin on 17 September, 2014, 4:53
You talkin bout me?
Comment icon #42 Posted by ozman on 20 September, 2014, 6:12
Maybe the sweaty smell of alcohol draws the cats in? Cata have high senses and they can smell and see better than humans.
Comment icon #43 Posted by Hawkin on 21 September, 2014, 14:23
I wonder if the leopard gets drunk after it eats the drunk.
Comment icon #44 Posted by EllJay on 22 September, 2014, 16:42
I wonder if the leopard gets drunk after it eats the drunk. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the leopard is a drunk, and this is the only way he can get hold of alcohol - eating a drunk prey. If I were them I should have bought me an extra bottle of booze with me when I walked home from the bar, so I could offer the leopard a drink. He might not be such a bad pal if you get to know him over a drink, or two.
Comment icon #45 Posted by skeff on 3 October, 2014, 6:45
well if we wasn't encroaching on every wild habitat on earth, this sort of wouldn't happen. all power to the leopard, may he/she be free and seemingly merry in its hunting..
Comment icon #46 Posted by Lilly on 3 October, 2014, 9:30
I wonder if the leopard gets drunk after it eats the drunk. Now that's an interesting idea. This could explain why Mr Leopard is a repeat offender (he likes the buzz?).

Woman digs 35ft tunnel to rescue son from jail
8-8-2020
A mother in Ukraine attempted to break her son out of jail by single-handedly digging an escape tunnel.
Prehistoric 'hell ant' found trapped in amber
8-8-2020
An ancient species of ant has been found frozen in time while right in the middle of devouring another insect.
'Knife-wielding baboons' seen at safari park
8-7-2020
Baboons at Knowsley Safari Park in Merseyside have reportedly taken to wielding knives and sharp tools.
What will happen at the end of the universe ?
8-7-2020
The Big Bang may have brought the universe into existence, but will a similar event bring about its demise?
Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball