We are now on Patreon! Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site.

Saturday, December 4, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Natural World > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Natural World

Greenpeace submarine attacked by squids

October 14, 2014 | Comment icon 24 comments

Humboldt squids have a reputation for being aggressive. Image Credit: Greenpeace / Vine
A two-man submersible was attacked by a pair of the invertebrates during an expedition in the Bering Sea.
In a scene reminiscent of the Jules Verne classic '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea', the crew of a Greenpeace submarine known as Dual Deep Worker found themselves under attack by a pair of Humboldt squids in the waters between North America and Asia.

Despite being much smaller than the enigmatic and elusive giant squid, the two 6ft invertebrates wasted no time going on the offensive and managed to give the divers quite a scare.
A video clip posted to Vine shows the moment that the attack happened.

Source: CNET.com | Comments (24)

Unexplained Mysteries is now on Patreon!

Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site and gain access to a range of perks including a subscriber badge, ad-free browsing, an exclusive weekly newsletter, sneak peaks of upcoming features and more.
23 / 25
We are 92% of the way to our second Patreon subscriber target - thank you!
Comment icon #15 Posted by MidnightLady 7 years ago
Greenpeace owns a submarine ? Yes, and they keep it in a goldfish bowl with very small squids.
Comment icon #16 Posted by MidnightLady 7 years ago
Well what do you expect! It's a friggin' giant squid attacking a submarine and no one's made a Captain Nemo and the Nautilus reference yet! It's like a killer rabbit attacking a group of medieval recreationalists - and no one makes a Monty Python reference! Jeez guys! I once saw a movie about killer bunnies. Janet Leigh was in it. It was called "Night of the Lepus". Okay, so what do you expect from someone who would stay in an out of the way motel owned by Mr. Bates?
Comment icon #17 Posted by Pendekar Timur 7 years ago
i think they defense themselves...
Comment icon #18 Posted by MidnightLady 7 years ago
i think they defense themselves... I think the squirrels made them do it.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Hammerclaw 7 years ago
The greenpeace sub is manned by squirrels? Sounds plausible.
Comment icon #20 Posted by MidnightLady 7 years ago
The greenpeace sub is manned by squirrels? Sounds plausible. I really shouldn't read post late at night. My laughter might wake up the whole house. Then I will loose my witching hour computer privileges. OMG, this post sounds like one of my remarks in the Community Lounge. I have to go join the squirrels in the play room now!
Comment icon #21 Posted by Hammerclaw 7 years ago
I really shouldn't read post late at night. My laughter might wake up the whole house. Then I will loose my witching hour computer privileges. OMG, this post sounds like one of my remarks in the Community Lounge. I have to go join the squirrels in the play room now! Dang! I didn't even mention they had a white bunny for a skipper.
Comment icon #22 Posted by MidnightLady 7 years ago
Dang! I didn't even mention they had a white bunny for a skipper. You have a white rabbit? Are they on Grace Slick's Christmas Card list?
Comment icon #23 Posted by Hammerclaw 7 years ago
You have a white rabbit? Are they on Grace Slick's Christmas Card list? Humboldt Squid are large and dangerous--as for your question, I'll have to dive down the rabbit hole. Now which pill makes you little and which one makes you tall? Rats! Nothing but Tylenol.
Comment icon #24 Posted by MidnightLady 7 years ago
Humboldt Squid are large and dangerous--as for your question, I'll have to dive down the rabbit hole. Now which pill makes you little and which one makes you tall? Rats! Nothing but Tylenol. This is good as too much waffling at small and tall can give you a headache.