Sunday, August 9, 2020

Greenpeace submarine attacked by squids

Posted on Tuesday, 14 October, 2014 | Comment icon 24 comments

Humboldt squids have a reputation for being aggressive. Image Credit: Greenpeace / Vine
A two-man submersible was attacked by a pair of the invertebrates during an expedition in the Bering Sea.
In a scene reminiscent of the Jules Verne classic '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea', the crew of a Greenpeace submarine known as Dual Deep Worker found themselves under attack by a pair of Humboldt squids in the waters between North America and Asia.

Despite being much smaller than the enigmatic and elusive giant squid, the two 6ft invertebrates wasted no time going on the offensive and managed to give the divers quite a scare.
A video clip posted to Vine shows the moment that the attack happened.

Source: CNET.com | Comments (24)

Tags: Squid, Greenpeace

Comment icon #15 Posted by MidnightLady on 15 October, 2014, 18:50
Greenpeace owns a submarine ? Yes, and they keep it in a goldfish bowl with very small squids.
Comment icon #16 Posted by MidnightLady on 15 October, 2014, 19:00
Well what do you expect! It's a friggin' giant squid attacking a submarine and no one's made a Captain Nemo and the Nautilus reference yet! It's like a killer rabbit attacking a group of medieval recreationalists - and no one makes a Monty Python reference! Jeez guys! I once saw a movie about killer bunnies. Janet Leigh was in it. It was called "Night of the Lepus". Okay, so what do you expect from someone who would stay in an out of the way motel owned by Mr. Bates?
Comment icon #17 Posted by Pendekar Timur on 27 October, 2014, 18:42
i think they defense themselves...
Comment icon #18 Posted by MidnightLady on 27 October, 2014, 19:10
i think they defense themselves... I think the squirrels made them do it.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Hammerclaw on 28 October, 2014, 5:35
The greenpeace sub is manned by squirrels? Sounds plausible.
Comment icon #20 Posted by MidnightLady on 28 October, 2014, 5:42
The greenpeace sub is manned by squirrels? Sounds plausible. I really shouldn't read post late at night. My laughter might wake up the whole house. Then I will loose my witching hour computer privileges. OMG, this post sounds like one of my remarks in the Community Lounge. I have to go join the squirrels in the play room now!
Comment icon #21 Posted by Hammerclaw on 28 October, 2014, 6:09
I really shouldn't read post late at night. My laughter might wake up the whole house. Then I will loose my witching hour computer privileges. OMG, this post sounds like one of my remarks in the Community Lounge. I have to go join the squirrels in the play room now! Dang! I didn't even mention they had a white bunny for a skipper.
Comment icon #22 Posted by MidnightLady on 28 October, 2014, 17:38
Dang! I didn't even mention they had a white bunny for a skipper. You have a white rabbit? Are they on Grace Slick's Christmas Card list?
Comment icon #23 Posted by Hammerclaw on 28 October, 2014, 17:45
You have a white rabbit? Are they on Grace Slick's Christmas Card list? Humboldt Squid are large and dangerous--as for your question, I'll have to dive down the rabbit hole. Now which pill makes you little and which one makes you tall? Rats! Nothing but Tylenol.
Comment icon #24 Posted by MidnightLady on 28 October, 2014, 18:05
Humboldt Squid are large and dangerous--as for your question, I'll have to dive down the rabbit hole. Now which pill makes you little and which one makes you tall? Rats! Nothing but Tylenol. This is good as too much waffling at small and tall can give you a headache.

Woman digs 35ft tunnel to rescue son from jail
8-8-2020
A mother in Ukraine attempted to break her son out of jail by single-handedly digging an escape tunnel.
Prehistoric 'hell ant' found trapped in amber
8-8-2020
An ancient species of ant has been found frozen in time while right in the middle of devouring another insect.
'Knife-wielding baboons' seen at safari park
8-7-2020
Baboons at Knowsley Safari Park in Merseyside have reportedly taken to wielding knives and sharp tools.
What will happen at the end of the universe ?
8-7-2020
The Big Bang may have brought the universe into existence, but will a similar event bring about its demise?
Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball