Wednesday, May 27, 2020
  Bizarre

Creepy clowns appear across Bakersfield

Posted on Tuesday, 14 October, 2014 | Comment icon 36 comments

A creepy clown was photographed in Northamption back in 2013. Image Credit: Twitter / @jogo78
Police have launched an investigation after people in clown costumes started showing up around the city.
Over the last two years creepy clowns have been turning up everywhere from Northampton in England to Staten Island in New York, but in this latest string of sightings in California the phenomenon seems to have been taken to a whole new level with multiple sightings across the city of Bakersfield.

Pranksters, some brandishing weapons, have taken to dressing up as clowns and posting photographs on social media of themselves hanging around street corners and next to local landmarks.
"There's a natural phobia of clowns," said Sgt. Joe Grubbs. "And, clearly, if someone is dressed up as a clown and holding a weapon in a threatening manner, that's going to frighten people."

Authorities believe that the most recent run of reports, which have totalled 20 within a weeek, can be attributed to other people copying the idea after hearing about it on the Internet.

It is thought that the bizarre phenomenon may have started with a couple who had been photographed in full clown costumes as part of an art project.

Source: ABC News | Comments (36)

Tags: California, Bakersfield, Clowns

Comment icon #27 Posted by Hammerclaw on 15 October, 2014, 21:28
I live with clowns in a lovely wooded area. You might know them as squirrels. Natures delightful little comedians. Except of course when they invade the attic and make a nest out of sweaters you really love. Time to go shopping. A curse and blessing then! Enjoy!
Comment icon #28 Posted by TrvlRN on 17 October, 2014, 3:53
I had a clown doll as a child. Why my mother thought I would enjoy this was a mystery to me. There was nothing comforting about it. It wasn't even colorful. It's costume was gray with odd yellow blobs all over it. What child do you know tells you that their favorite color is gray? Who Wednesday Thursday Addams? No I expect she was more goth and painted everything black. That by the way might have been an improvement as it would have blended into the darkness. I used to take something and cover it up at night. When Poltergeist arrived in the theaters it thrilled me what I wasn't the only one la... [More]
Comment icon #29 Posted by Still Waters on 17 October, 2014, 10:56
There's a guy lives along the road from us who's a professional clown. He performs at kid's parties etc., sometimes we see him drive along the road with his clown costume on. It's quite funny to see that. I had a clown doll as a child. I've got a clown puppet which I've had since I was a child. It's wooden and stringed and is in perfect condition since I didn't use it much, I could never quite get the hang of it. It's in its original box and from doing an online search I found it's a limited edition and probably worth something. I've no desires to part with it though, it's a keepsake.
Comment icon #30 Posted by MidnightLady on 18 October, 2014, 19:49
A curse and blessing then! Enjoy! Yes. Now if I could just afford the new fall line.
Comment icon #31 Posted by MidnightLady on 18 October, 2014, 19:55
U don't like your mother do u? To be honest there were times when I thought it was the other way around. Hey, she made me dress in pink until I was old enough to defend myself. For a spell I went goth in high school before dressing in black became a major fashion statement.
Comment icon #32 Posted by MidnightLady on 18 October, 2014, 19:58
There's a guy lives along the road from us who's a professional clown. He performs at kid's parties etc., sometimes we see him drive along the road with his clown costume on. It's quite funny to see that. I've got a clown puppet which I've had since I was a child. It's wooden and stringed and is in perfect condition since I didn't use it much, I could never quite get the hang of it. It's in its original box and from doing an online search I found it's a limited edition and probably worth something. I've no desires to part with it though, it's a keepsake. We had a collection of puppets and a st... [More]
Comment icon #33 Posted by HvUSeen Wrinkles on 13 November, 2014, 3:16
Hey guys I'm new to the forum.. dunno if anybody has heard of this guy yet but he's looks like he will be joining the ranks in creepy clowns across the world. Meet Wrinkles The Clown.. https://plus.google.com/111472735399106216972/posts
Comment icon #34 Posted by SpiritWalker7 on 13 November, 2014, 3:58
Comment icon #35 Posted by MidnightLady on 13 November, 2014, 4:17
I'm not scared of clowns but I blatantly distrust them, even in places where it is expected to see them. It's been explained on here before that the paint and lack of human-like behavior is the cause of this and I can truly relate. If someone in a clown suit with that weird paint chased after me in the darkness I'd have to knock them out, it'd be a reflex. Ah, wasn't there some serial killer that dressed as a clown? Now what does that say?
Comment icon #36 Posted by DieChecker on 13 November, 2014, 4:32
I think the white face paint makes them appear more similar to a zombie, or a vampire, then a regular human. White face paint = Bad

Virgin Orbit debut rocket launch ends in failure
5-26-2020
Sir Richard Branson's new satellite launching company didn't have much luck with its debut flight yesterday.
Mystery big cats reported across Scotland
5-26-2020
Recent accounts have indicated that the Loch Ness Monster is not the only thing lurking in the Scottish wilds.
Super-rare white grizzly bear spotted in Canada
5-26-2020
A very unusual bear has been captured on film in Banff National Park in Canada's Rocky Mountains.
Blind 'see' letters delivered to their brains
5-25-2020
Scientists have found a way to communicate letters and shapes by 'tracing' them directly into the brain.
Orb of light in room
5-9-2020 | USA/Texas/Waco

Not sleeping alone
5-9-2020 | Los Angeles

Glowing red eyes
5-9-2020 | Fields, Louisiana

Two creature sightings
5-1-2020 | Augusta and Louisana

My haunted home
5-1-2020 | Rainham, Essex, UK

In over my head
3-3-2020 | CA

Stranger at night
3-3-2020 | Merritt Island, FL, U.S.

The babysitter