Sunday, January 16, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Science & Technology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Science & Technology

New battery can recharge within two minutes

October 14, 2014 | Comment icon 14 comments

Charging up a phone may soon take only a couple of minutes. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 VisualBeo
Researchers in Singapore have come up with a battery that can recharge within the space of a few minutes.
Waiting hours for your mobile phone to recharge could soon be a thing of the past thanks to a remarkable new breakthrough in lithium-ion battery technology.

The new rapid-charging batteries can charge up to 70 percent of their capacity within the space of two minutes and will continue to operate for up to two decades. The key lies in the use of special titanium dioxide nanotubes within the battery's anode.
"With our nanotechnology, electric cars would be able to increase their range dramatically with just five minutes of charging, which is on par with the time needed to pump petrol for current cars," said Associate Professor Chen Xiaodong in a press release.

The new batteries are expected to be available on the market within two years.

Source: Gizmodo | Comments (14)

Comment icon #5 Posted by Sir Smoke aLot 7 years ago
That phone is from '89. They could've come up with a better picture. This must be a joke lol hehe Nokia 6310 ( legendary business phone ), released in 2001 i think and that phone had something great - long lasting battery ( one of best, maybe best ). Suitable phone for article with batteries. One more thing, you could transfer contacts via bluetooth, that was incredible.
Comment icon #6 Posted by bobb73 7 years ago
Comment icon #7 Posted by Merc14 7 years ago
Here is another article on this battery design http://www.extremetech.com/computing/191924-your-next-smartphone-or-ev-will-recharge-to-70-in-just-two-minutes-thanks-to-new-lithium-ion-battery-tech They seem pretty bullish on this tech . I guess we'll know in a couple of years
Comment icon #8 Posted by GreenmansGod 7 years ago
Comment icon #9 Posted by skookum 7 years ago
We hear about these major breakthroughs so often that it is hard to get excited any longer until the battery is actually in production. Yes I agree, what kind of power can it produce etc. It may be able to power very low powered phones, and phones now require a minuscule amount of power nowadays. How well will it up scale?
Comment icon #10 Posted by Merc14 7 years ago
Yes I agree, what kind of power can it produce etc. It may be able to power very low powered phones, and phones now require a minuscule amount of power nowadays. How well will it up scale? I so want it to pan out though, it would be huge.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Sir Smoke aLot 7 years ago
Sir Smoke aLot....I didn't Knowkia (haha) about that. I still have one perfect cond. and in the box. I should put it on eBay. Here they sell for about 50€ if in good shape, which is great price considering its age. If its the one with blue LCD, 6310i - it can sell for more. That is great, as long as it doesn't burst into flame. I have a Samsung tablet that worries me, because it gets kind of hot when I charge it. Yeah its reality lately, no need to worry about heat. Devices will get hotter if you are using them while charging and can get really, really hot. Since mid 2013, i guess because high... [More]
Comment icon #12 Posted by GreenmansGod 7 years ago
Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind when I use it. I don't use it that much. I have a Kindle Fire and I like much better. It does all the things the Samsung does, but doesn't lock up or get hot. I won the Samsung. I keep it, so if I go to hospital or into rehab I take that, because if someone took it I wouldn't be all that upset. If someone took my Kindle I would be heart broken.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Calibeliever 7 years ago
That phone is from '89. They could've come up with a better picture. This must be a joke lol I still have one or two of those in a junk box somewhere. Great phones. I don't think they came out until 2000 or so, but your point is valid. Why use such a dated photo
Comment icon #14 Posted by zeek wulfe 7 years ago
These wonderful "breakthroughs" we keep reading about...whether cold fusion, lifetime auto tyres, miracle cancer cures, or now, remarkable new battery technology, always seem to be two to ten years in the future. We can't be given instant gratification because because proponents are always looking for investors, or in the recent case of Lockheed/fusion research, 'partners.' Assume this is another example of rubbish and you'll be on the path of wisdom.

Total Posts: 7,210,781    Topics: 295,724    Members: 195,194