Thursday, May 28, 2020

New battery can recharge within two minutes

Posted on Tuesday, 14 October, 2014 | Comment icon 14 comments

Charging up a phone may soon take only a couple of minutes. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 VisualBeo
Researchers in Singapore have come up with a battery that can recharge within the space of a few minutes.
Waiting hours for your mobile phone to recharge could soon be a thing of the past thanks to a remarkable new breakthrough in lithium-ion battery technology.

The new rapid-charging batteries can charge up to 70 percent of their capacity within the space of two minutes and will continue to operate for up to two decades. The key lies in the use of special titanium dioxide nanotubes within the battery's anode.
"With our nanotechnology, electric cars would be able to increase their range dramatically with just five minutes of charging, which is on par with the time needed to pump petrol for current cars," said Associate Professor Chen Xiaodong in a press release.

The new batteries are expected to be available on the market within two years.

Source: Gizmodo | Comments (14)

Tags: Battery

Comment icon #5 Posted by Sir Smoke aLot on 14 October, 2014, 14:13
That phone is from '89. They could've come up with a better picture. This must be a joke lol hehe Nokia 6310 ( legendary business phone ), released in 2001 i think and that phone had something great - long lasting battery ( one of best, maybe best ). Suitable phone for article with batteries. One more thing, you could transfer contacts via bluetooth, that was incredible.
Comment icon #6 Posted by bobb73 on 14 October, 2014, 16:15
Comment icon #7 Posted by Merc14 on 14 October, 2014, 17:58
Here is another article on this battery design http://www.extremetech.com/computing/191924-your-next-smartphone-or-ev-will-recharge-to-70-in-just-two-minutes-thanks-to-new-lithium-ion-battery-tech They seem pretty bullish on this tech . I guess we'll know in a couple of years
Comment icon #8 Posted by GreenmansGod on 14 October, 2014, 19:45
Comment icon #9 Posted by skookum on 14 October, 2014, 22:10
We hear about these major breakthroughs so often that it is hard to get excited any longer until the battery is actually in production. Yes I agree, what kind of power can it produce etc. It may be able to power very low powered phones, and phones now require a minuscule amount of power nowadays. How well will it up scale?
Comment icon #10 Posted by Merc14 on 15 October, 2014, 1:20
Yes I agree, what kind of power can it produce etc. It may be able to power very low powered phones, and phones now require a minuscule amount of power nowadays. How well will it up scale? I so want it to pan out though, it would be huge.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Sir Smoke aLot on 15 October, 2014, 9:04
Sir Smoke aLot....I didn't Knowkia (haha) about that. I still have one perfect cond. and in the box. I should put it on eBay. Here they sell for about 50 if in good shape, which is great price considering its age. If its the one with blue LCD, 6310i - it can sell for more. That is great, as long as it doesn't burst into flame. I have a Samsung tablet that worries me, because it gets kind of hot when I charge it. Yeah its reality lately, no need to worry about heat. Devices will get hotter if you are using them while charging and can get really, really hot. Since mid 2013, i guess because high... [More]
Comment icon #12 Posted by GreenmansGod on 15 October, 2014, 11:14
Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind when I use it. I don't use it that much. I have a Kindle Fire and I like much better. It does all the things the Samsung does, but doesn't lock up or get hot. I won the Samsung. I keep it, so if I go to hospital or into rehab I take that, because if someone took it I wouldn't be all that upset. If someone took my Kindle I would be heart broken.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Calibeliever on 15 October, 2014, 13:03
That phone is from '89. They could've come up with a better picture. This must be a joke lol I still have one or two of those in a junk box somewhere. Great phones. I don't think they came out until 2000 or so, but your point is valid. Why use such a dated photo
Comment icon #14 Posted by zeek wulfe on 22 October, 2014, 16:46
These wonderful "breakthroughs" we keep reading about...whether cold fusion, lifetime auto tyres, miracle cancer cures, or now, remarkable new battery technology, always seem to be two to ten years in the future. We can't be given instant gratification because because proponents are always looking for investors, or in the recent case of Lockheed/fusion research, 'partners.' Assume this is another example of rubbish and you'll be on the path of wisdom.

Scientists solve 'missing matter' mystery
5-28-2020
New light has been shone on the whereabouts of a large percentage of the universe's missing baryonic matter.
Live: SpaceX Crew Dragon launch to the ISS
5-27-2020
Join the livestream as Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken launch from US soil aboard a SpaceX Crew Dragon.
Chimp lip-smacking hints at origin of speech
5-27-2020
A new study has revealed that chimp lip-smacking could be a clue to the ancient origins of human speech.
'Giant' allegedly captured on camera in Mexico
5-27-2020
Residents of Mexico's San Luis Potosi region reportedly claim to have witnessed a very large humanoid creature.
Orb of light in room
5-9-2020 | USA/Texas/Waco

Not sleeping alone
5-9-2020 | Los Angeles

Glowing red eyes
5-9-2020 | Fields, Louisiana

Two creature sightings
5-1-2020 | Augusta and Louisana

My haunted home
5-1-2020 | Rainham, Essex, UK

In over my head
3-3-2020 | CA

Stranger at night
3-3-2020 | Merritt Island, FL, U.S.

The babysitter