Thursday, August 18, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Cryptozoology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Cryptozoology

The hunt for a live Tasmanian tiger continues

July 12, 2015 | Comment icon 24 comments

The last known captive thylacine before its death in 1936. Image Credit: Benjamin A. Sheppard
Michael Moss has spent the last two decades hunting for surviving members of the long extinct species.
Despite the fact that the last known living specimen died in Hobart Zoo back in 1936, sightings of Tasmanian tigers have continued in parts of Australia right up until the present day.

Famed thylacine hunter Michael Moss has spent the better part of 20 years attempting to locate evidence that the species, having gone extinct in Tasmania, has since managed to eke out an existence in the mainland state of Victoria.

"They were hunted relentlessly in Tasmania because they were a threat to sheep graziers," he said.
"But research I have undertaken through government records shows there were shipments of Tasmanian native animals to Wilsons Promontory between 1910 and 1915. I believe these shipments may have included tigers and the sightings people now report are of their descendants."

Moss maintains that he encountered a thylacine himself while working as an assistant lighthouse keeper at Cape Otway in 1973 and has since investigated dozens of other sightings.

"There has already been a claimed sighting of one in Fisheries Rd, Devon Meadows, a few years ago," he said. "And Iíve got footage of what I believe is one crossing a paddock in the Strezlecki Ranges, near Wilsons Promontory."

"Most reports to date have been of animals near or crossing roads - with the advent of dashboard cameras in cars, I think we will see some concrete evidence before much longer."

Source: Herald Sun | Comments (24)

Comment icon #15 Posted by Reilly. 7 years ago
The last known thylacine died in a zoo in 1933. If you have photos that can be verified to have been from after that fact, you should submit them to Australian conservation officials. That would be quite the find. I will when my grandmother passes away.
Comment icon #16 Posted by obscurepanda 7 years ago
I will when my grandmother passes away. Why wait? Does she have some kind of issue with you submitting photos that can prove the thylacine was still alive and kicking after it's supposed extinction?
Comment icon #17 Posted by Jarocal 7 years ago
Why wait? Does she have some kind of issue with you submitting photos that can prove the thylacine was still alive and kicking after it's supposed extinction? Probably if the picture is of her or her family having poached them.
Comment icon #18 Posted by DieChecker 7 years ago
Being the last known person to put a entire species into extinction might be a bit of a family albatross...... Still, I'd like to see the pictures. For Rick Dyer....
Comment icon #19 Posted by Reilly. 7 years ago
Being the last known person to put a entire species into extinction might be a bit of a family albatross...... I don't think that is the case, I'm pretty sure there are other people. These were just photos of her folks from the old farm. I just know that Nan didn't want to give up the original photos because she only has like 3 photos of her rents and she'd have to give up the originals. The way her and my pop tell it, they were pretty common back then, but they're certainly not going to be here now. lol
Comment icon #20 Posted by Barkinghorse 7 years ago
There is a dairy farmer who is now very ill and is in his 80's. He lives on his 3rd generation dairy farm in the Nanup area or thereabouts in WA. This elderly gentleman has dedicated portion of his life to the thylacine. He has his own museum on the farm, and its totally free to visit. I have met him and also stayed on the farm, a wonderful family. He has seen the thylacine quite a few times from his youth till present Even a dead one on the local road in the late 50's.... in those days they thought nothing of it. He has a low set brick house, which has a mound of earth at the back. one mornin... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by Yes_Man 7 years ago
Comment icon #22 Posted by Yes_Man 7 years ago
I don't think that is the case, I'm pretty sure there are other people. These were just photos of her folks from the old farm. I just know that Nan didn't want to give up the original photos because she only has like 3 photos of her rents and she'd have to give up the originals. The way her and my pop tell it, they were pretty common back then, but they're certainly not going to be here now. lol Still an investigation will be conducted by thyclaine hunters now that you have said these things
Comment icon #23 Posted by DieChecker 7 years ago
Still an investigation will be conducted by thyclaine hunters now that you have said these things Are there many.... thylacine hunters?
Comment icon #24 Posted by SSilhouette 7 years ago
maybe someone should spread the word that Chinese nuts are an aphrodisiac Now that is funny. Sick, but funny. Over a billion people and they're worried about men getting it up? Seriously? I think they're not having any trouble with that at all.

Total Posts: 7,315,246    Topics: 301,005    Members: 198,031