Monday, October 14, 2019

Rare blood moon eclipse to occur tonight

Posted on Sunday, 27 September, 2015 | Comment icon 28 comments

The rare event only happens once every few decades. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Peter Gaylard
An impressive astronomical event is set to take place tonight for the first time in more than 30 years.
The unusual combination of both a supermoon and a lunar eclipse will offer a rare opportunity for people around the world to look to the skies as the moon's white glow turns a distinct shade of red.

"A supermoon occurs when the full moon happens at the point in the orbit when the moon is closest to us," said Astronomer Steve Owens of the Glasgow Science Centre. "So this moon is a full moon, a lunar eclipse and the closest approach of the moon in this cycle."

The last time this event occurred was 33 years ago and another won't happen until the year 2033.

"It is hard to predict what color it will go or how dark it will get - in some cases of lunar eclipses, the moon can go so dark it almost vanishes, while in other cases you get a very coppery tinge to it," said Owens. "But it will certainly be a dramatic display whatever happens."

Those looking to catch a glimpse of the spectacle should set their alarm clocks to be up at around 2am in the UK or venture outside at around 10pm EDT / 7pm PDT if you are in North America.

Source: Herald Scotland | Comments (28)

Tags: Blood Moon, Eclipse

Comment icon #19 Posted by Lilly on 28 September, 2015, 12:17
I was able to see it "ok" (a bit cloudy) but the reddish tone was obvious.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Thorvir Hrothgaard on 28 September, 2015, 13:39
As per my link above, possibly some variety of mormon preppers...? Okay, I understand that, and am not that surprised, but: Oh the preppers will be going nuts tonight! You aren't Immune to Beiberfever and I wanted to know which preppers, specifically he/she is referring to. I know that some preppers would do such a thing, but not all. Thanks, though!
Comment icon #21 Posted by Thorvir Hrothgaard on 28 September, 2015, 13:40
It's usually cloudy here when something like this happens...but the clouds cleared just when it started and we got a good show. Used the telescope and binoculars and cameras to get some photos. Didn't turn out as well as they usually do, probably because the lens of the telescope needed cleaning.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Immune to Bieberfever on 28 September, 2015, 16:25
Comment icon #23 Posted by BlackBearWolf on 28 September, 2015, 16:35
Saw the eclipse from California. Looked beautiful and brought out my apartment neighbors and we all had a nice chat. Also witnessed some odd animal behavior. I saw hundreds of pill bugs and ad thousands of ants all going wild in a planter. I have never seen anything like it. They were just swarming all over. Maybe because of full moon?
Comment icon #24 Posted by Thorvir Hrothgaard on 28 September, 2015, 17:22
@thorvir: i guess the ones i saw on discovery probably, they seem to take every newsitem as evidence for the endtimes, whaever the so called "endtimes" mean! Bah, I'm sure they ham it up for TV and the ratings. But, I'm also just as sure that some preppers might actually be batshit crazy. Others, not so much.
Comment icon #25 Posted by AZDZ on 28 September, 2015, 19:05
We too had great visibility, and the neighbors came out for a viewing.
Comment icon #26 Posted by toast on 28 September, 2015, 20:11
Comment icon #27 Posted by Codenwarra on 28 September, 2015, 22:01
The religious nuts seem to be unaware (or prefer to ignore) that the eclipse could not be seen by anyone between the longitudes of western India and New Zealand, accounting for far more than half the population of the Earth. As a sign of the end of the world, that's pretty useless.
Comment icon #28 Posted by Thorvir Hrothgaard on 29 September, 2015, 1:32
Yesterday there where 2 funny comments in the forum of one of the biggest online newspapers here: 1.) "Can someone explain me where the moon is at the time of the eclipse?" 2.) "Can I use sun eclipse googles to protect my eyes from the additional neutrino rays coming from space and reflected by the Moon?" Unbelievable, but true. I agree..."googles". That's just completely unbelievable.

World's largest Ouija board unveiled in Salem
10-14-2019
A gigantic record-breaking version of the infamous spirit board has been set up on the historic Salem Common.
Scientists discover prehistoric 'mold pigs'
10-14-2019
A previously unknown species of microscopic creature has been discovered perfectly preserved in amber.
Arachnophobe finds a live spider in his ear
10-13-2019
When Liam Gomez felt a peculiar sensation in his ear, it signalled the beginning of his worst nightmare.
Analyst: 'US needs to investigate Navy UFOs'
10-13-2019
Marik Von Rennenkampff maintains that it's important for the US to investigate recent pilot accounts of UFOs.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ