Tuesday, January 23, 2018

World's darkest material is now even darker

Posted on Tuesday, 8 March, 2016 | Comment icon 17 comments

Just how black is it possible for something to be ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Surrey NanoSystems
Known as Vantablack, the extremely dark material was invented by a team of British researchers in 2014.
The material, which is so dark that looking at it is like staring in to an abyss of infinite nothingness, has now been made even darker thanks to the continued efforts of Surrey NanoSystems, a company that specializes in the production of nanomaterials at low temperatures.

The original incarnation of Vantablack was dark enough to absorb all but 0.035 percent of visible light meaning that to the naked eye it barely registered as a physical material at all.

The new version of the material however is now so completely and utterly dark that there is no spectrometer on Earth that can accurately measure exactly how much light it absorbs.

Originally developed to enhance the performance of sensitive electro-optical imaging systems in satellites, Vantablack is made up of millions of tiny carbon nanotubes which are each 3,500 times smaller than the diameter of a human hair.

Light hitting the material enters in to the gaps between the nanotubes and bounces back and forth between them, unable to escape.

"Even running a high power laser pointer across it barely reflects anything back to the viewer," the team explained. "We have never before made a material so 'black' that it can't be picked up on our spectrometers in the infrared."

Source: Science Alert | Comments (17)

Tags: Vantablack

Comment icon #8 Posted by NoNickname90 on 8 March, 2016, 20:37
Comment icon #9 Posted by Buzz_Light_Year on 8 March, 2016, 22:21
I wonder how a room would 'feel' if I was standing in it, and the walls were lined with this vantablack. I wonder if it would feel 'eerie'. That's the feel I'm imagining. I wonder if it would feel like you're standing in a different 'place' that doesn't 'feel' like Earth. I know the human mind is capable of 'playing tricks' on itself. I'm just imagining another mind hack. I like calling things you do to 'play tricks on yourself' as a 'mind hack'. Just sounds cool. LoL!! Tests conducted in the fifties in total darkness the subjects were only able to endure total blackness for less than 48 hours... [More]
Comment icon #10 Posted by Torchwood on 8 March, 2016, 22:50
Basically somebody just wanted to build Hotblack Desiato's stuntship....
Comment icon #11 Posted by Wreck7 on 8 March, 2016, 23:34
If you form it into a circle and lay it on the road it becomes a coyote trap.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Infernal Gnu on 8 March, 2016, 23:42
Create an android completely coated with Vantablack, that would be awesome for some Sci-Fi movie.
Comment icon #13 Posted by pallidin on 9 March, 2016, 5:19
Comment icon #14 Posted by pallidin on 9 March, 2016, 5:22
Comment icon #15 Posted by Use your brain on 9 March, 2016, 16:44
I want my walls lined with a wallpaper made out of this. Hopefully they find a way to make this semi affordable for commercial sale.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Gingitsune on 9 March, 2016, 20:21
Looking at the videos, the thing's appearance remind me of bad photoshop jobs. It's like someone just cut a form and we see the black background layer. It must be even more weird in real life.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Zalmoxis on 10 March, 2016, 6:06
Kudos to the English. I wonder how much this material is priced per square foot.

Study shows cats can be right or left-pawed
1-22-2018
It's not only humans who favor one hand over the other - cats seem to share this preference as well.
Man dies after dog accidentally shoots him
1-22-2018
An experienced hunter from Russia has died in a freak accident involving one of his own hunting dogs.
Scientists make tractor beam breakthrough
1-22-2018
An acoustic tractor beam could make it possible to levitate large objects within the not-too-distant future.
Weather blamed for 200,000 antelope deaths
1-21-2018
Scientists may have finally determined what caused vast numbers of saiga antelopes to die back in 2015.
Brian Cox talks to Buzz Aldrin
Posted 1-18-2018 | 1 comment
Professor Brian Cox discusses space travel with legendary astronaut Buzz Aldrin.

Typing vs handwriting
Posted 1-16-2018 | 2 comments
Is typing on a computer better or worse for your memory then writing on paper ?

Can coding help avoid job automation ?
Posted 1-12-2018 | 0 comments
Taking up coding and technical skills to avoid automation may be counter-productive.

Dinosaur death match
Posted 1-8-2018 | 0 comments
A look at how various dinosaurs might have fared against the predators of their day.

Best records of 2017
Posted 1-4-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at some of the most bizarre and amazing world records of the last year.

Strange feeling
1-18-2018 | Different places

Unexplained voices
1-18-2018 | United States

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States