Friday, July 20, 2018

World's darkest material is now even darker

Posted on Tuesday, 8 March, 2016 | Comment icon 17 comments

Just how black is it possible for something to be ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Surrey NanoSystems
Known as Vantablack, the extremely dark material was invented by a team of British researchers in 2014.
The material, which is so dark that looking at it is like staring in to an abyss of infinite nothingness, has now been made even darker thanks to the continued efforts of Surrey NanoSystems, a company that specializes in the production of nanomaterials at low temperatures.

The original incarnation of Vantablack was dark enough to absorb all but 0.035 percent of visible light meaning that to the naked eye it barely registered as a physical material at all.

The new version of the material however is now so completely and utterly dark that there is no spectrometer on Earth that can accurately measure exactly how much light it absorbs.

Originally developed to enhance the performance of sensitive electro-optical imaging systems in satellites, Vantablack is made up of millions of tiny carbon nanotubes which are each 3,500 times smaller than the diameter of a human hair.

Light hitting the material enters in to the gaps between the nanotubes and bounces back and forth between them, unable to escape.

"Even running a high power laser pointer across it barely reflects anything back to the viewer," the team explained. "We have never before made a material so 'black' that it can't be picked up on our spectrometers in the infrared."

Source: Science Alert | Comments (17)

Tags: Vantablack

Comment icon #8 Posted by NoNickname90 on 8 March, 2016, 20:37
Comment icon #9 Posted by Buzz_Light_Year on 8 March, 2016, 22:21
I wonder how a room would 'feel' if I was standing in it, and the walls were lined with this vantablack. I wonder if it would feel 'eerie'. That's the feel I'm imagining. I wonder if it would feel like you're standing in a different 'place' that doesn't 'feel' like Earth. I know the human mind is capable of 'playing tricks' on itself. I'm just imagining another mind hack. I like calling things you do to 'play tricks on yourself' as a 'mind hack'. Just sounds cool. LoL!! Tests conducted in the fifties in total darkness the subjects were only able to endure total blackness for less than 48 hours... [More]
Comment icon #10 Posted by Torchwood on 8 March, 2016, 22:50
Basically somebody just wanted to build Hotblack Desiato's stuntship....
Comment icon #11 Posted by Wreck7 on 8 March, 2016, 23:34
If you form it into a circle and lay it on the road it becomes a coyote trap.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Infernal Gnu on 8 March, 2016, 23:42
Create an android completely coated with Vantablack, that would be awesome for some Sci-Fi movie.
Comment icon #13 Posted by pallidin on 9 March, 2016, 5:19
Comment icon #14 Posted by pallidin on 9 March, 2016, 5:22
Comment icon #15 Posted by Use your brain on 9 March, 2016, 16:44
I want my walls lined with a wallpaper made out of this. Hopefully they find a way to make this semi affordable for commercial sale.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Gingitsune on 9 March, 2016, 20:21
Looking at the videos, the thing's appearance remind me of bad photoshop jobs. It's like someone just cut a form and we see the black background layer. It must be even more weird in real life.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Zalmoxis on 10 March, 2016, 6:06
Kudos to the English. I wonder how much this material is priced per square foot.

Real-life 'Iron Man' suit has gone on sale
7-19-2018
Inventor Richard Browning's impressive flight suit is now available to purchase for a whopping $440,000.
Sunken warship may contain gold worth $133bn
7-19-2018
The wreck of a Russian ship thought to contain 5,500 boxes of gold bars has been found off South Korea.
Prehistoric baby snake found trapped in amber
7-19-2018
Scientists have discovered the well-preserved remains of a jeuvenile snake dating back 99 million years.
Telescope receives upgrade, exceeds Hubble
7-18-2018
Adaptive optics technology has now made it possible for ground telescopes to take extremely sharp images.
Why do bandaids glow ?
Posted 7-19-2018 | 1 comment
Dianna Cowern investigates why some bandaids produce a blue glow when they are opened.

Spinning a record to pieces
Posted 7-15-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment with old vinyl records.

Pearlfish's gross hiding spot
Posted 7-8-2018 | 1 comment
A pearlfish finds a particularly unappealing place to hide on the ocean floor.

What jobs will flourish in the future ?
Posted 7-5-2018 | 2 comments
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku predicts which jobs will be important in the future.

Skunked
Posted 7-1-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson meets a rather adorable skunk - but can he avoid getting sprayed ?

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA