Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Burial chamber of Egyptian princess found

Posted on Sunday, 14 May, 2017 | Comment icon 15 comments

Hatshepset was the daughter of Ameny Qemau. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Jerzy Strzelecki
Archaeologists have made a fascinating discovery inside a 3,800-year-old pyramid in Dahshur, Egypt.
A wooden box found inside the chamber bears the name 'Hatshepset' and is thought to have belonged to an Egyptian princess who was the daughter of the pharaoh Ameny Qemau.

The discovery was made within one of two pyramids built for Qemau and it is thought that his daughter's untimely death may account for why more than one had been constructed.

The box, which had been looted long ago, once contained canopic jars - special containers used to store individual internal organs removed from the deceased during the mummification process.

"The pyramid is not of a type appropriate to a princess," said Aidan Dodson of the University of Bristol. "It must therefore have been built for a king, but then usurped for her burial."

"There is no reason why he should have built two pyramids of his own."

A poorly preserved sarcophagus is also believed to be among the finds within the chamber.

Source: Live Science | Comments (15)

Tags: Egypt, Mummy, Pyramid

Comment icon #6 Posted by kmt_sesh on 14 May, 2017, 3:51
Think Game of Thrones. Each of Egypt's three intermediate periods as well as swaths of the Late Period were a lot like the books and the TV show which came from the books: the original kingdom broke into regional territories up ad dow the Nile Valley, and rival dynasties competed for supremacy. Most of the kings from the major kingdoms—Old, Middle, and New—are well documented and understood. It's the intermediate periods in between and the LatePeriod after where we still have blanks. And every once in a while a king might be discovered about whom we knew nothing. This was the case several year... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by kmt_sesh on 14 May, 2017, 3:52
That's very helpful. Thanks. Now I feel kind of silly. Where on earth did they come up with Emnikamaw? LOL Ouija board?
Comment icon #8 Posted by Tatetopa on 14 May, 2017, 6:54
I just read your blog!  That is awesome.  Thanks so much.  I hope  I don' t offend, but this makes Egypt seem even more interesting and approachable somehow.  I guess in my mind, Egypt was pretty cut and dried with  temples, gods, and divine right god-kings.  Lots of structure and only disturbances from outside forces.   I knew about the Hittites and the battle of Kadesh, but not much else.  I have caught a couple of BBC shows moderated by Bettany Hughes who claims to be a historian.  Do you know that program?   Any thought about accuracy.  I got on to it because we were talking about trading,... [More]
Comment icon #9 Posted by Tatetopa on 14 May, 2017, 7:01
I read some more of your blog.  All I can say is that I salute you as an honorable and worthy scholar. Spreading knowledge is a service.  You would have been at home in the Library of Alexandria I think.
Comment icon #10 Posted by kmt_sesh on 15 May, 2017, 0:18
Nothing to take offense to. I usually find ancient history to be fascinating enough without the need for fictional embellishment.  Like any part of ancient history, the Egyptian civilization was more complex and varied than it might seem on the surface. The major kingdom periods may have seen a stable and prosperous Egypt, but especially during the intermediate periods Egypt tended to be a muddled mess. A lot more research is still needed for those periods because there's still so much more to learn. The Hittites came along on the Egyptian scope later in the Bronze Age, and they never even suc... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by kmt_sesh on 15 May, 2017, 0:19
Wow, thanks so much! Those are indeed high words of praise. I'm glad you explored my blog.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Peter Cox on 16 May, 2017, 7:51
Well I gave it a read too and can attest to that it is AWESOME well done Sir.
Comment icon #13 Posted by kmt_sesh on 17 May, 2017, 3:28
Thanks so much, Peter! I'm glad you enjoyed my blog. As it happens, I have a comment waiting for my approval for an article I wrote about circumcision in ancient Egypt. It's actually a fairly popular article, but this guy is fishing for advice on whether he should have his newborn son circumcised. LOL I get some weird comments. Like this one, I don't always approve them.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Frank Merton on 17 May, 2017, 3:34
My view of circumcision -- it was very selfish of both Jehovah and Allah to demand it -- it reduces male pleasure in copulation a lot. Of course in some cases the boy needs something done, but it doesn't have to be full circumcision. I understand that men who are circumcised are less likely to get infected with AIDS than those who aren't after normal copulation -- I don't know -- I guess that makes some sense with all VDs since there is more membrane there for the virus to attack.  So, I guess these things have their pluses and minuses.  Still, if God had wanted us to be circumcised he would h... [More]
Comment icon #15 Posted by Peter Cox on 18 May, 2017, 16:54
Well that is just madness - Tell him if his son was born +-5000 years ago you could comment however he was not so it is not your game of expertise lol.. There are a lot of odd folks out there. Ill keep my eye on the blog really tip top information you have put up there.

Is lab-grown meat environmentally friendly ?
2-19-2019
A new study has indicated that growing meat in a laboratory may actually make global warming worse.
Mutant mosquitoes could wipe out malaria
2-18-2019
Two geneticists have been working on a plan to use genetic modification to stop the disease from spreading.
Flat Earth belief linked to online video sharing
2-18-2019
Conspiracy theory videos on YouTube may be playing a significant role in convincing people that the Earth is flat.
Prehistoric spider fossils' eyes still glow
2-18-2019
Fossil spiders discovered in South Korea still have glowing eyes despite being over 110 million years old.
Why do blind people wear sunglasses ?
Posted 2-19-2019 | 0 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why blind people are often seen wearing sunglasses, even indoors.

How will humans evolve ?
Posted 2-12-2019 | 2 comments
What's next for our species - what will a human of the future be like ?

Why do mirrors only flip horizontally?
Posted 2-6-2019 | 3 comments
When you look in the mirror, why is your image only flipped horizontally and not vertically ?

The quest for a superbug cure
Posted 1-31-2019 | 0 comments
Does the key to dealing with superbug infections lie deep underground in a cave ?

Round Earth vs flat Earth
Posted 1-18-2019 | 6 comments
Why do some people believe that the Earth is as flat as a pancake?

My skinless demon