Monday, September 28, 2020

Man finds Viking treasure with metal detector

Posted on Sunday, 21 May, 2017 | Comment icon 20 comments

The treasure dates back over 1,000 years. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Wolfmann
Derek McLennan earned almost $2.6 million after unearthing a horde of 10th-century Viking artefacts.
The metal detector enthusiast had been scanning a field in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland back in 2014 when he happened across one of the most significant British archaeological finds in years.

The treasure trove, which consisted of around 100 items, included silver brooches, gold rings and a host of other valuables believed to date back more than 1,000 years to the time of the Vikings.

Now, more than three years on, the Queen's and Lord Treasurer's Remembrancer - which rules on found goods which do not have an owner - has determined that the collection should go to Scotland's National Museum in exchange for paying McLennan £1.98 ($2.58) million.
Not bad for a day spent wandering around a field with a metal detector.

"We are honoured and feel privileged to have saved this internationally significant treasure and we look forward to the many exciting discoveries that will be further revealed," the museum wrote.

"We cannot wait for its eventual display in Scotland's National Museum."

Source: Independent | Comments (20)

Tags: Viking, Treasure

Comment icon #11 Posted by TheSpoonyOne on 13 October, 2014, 21:43
Weird, I just happened to be reading about the Staffordshire horde today... These coincidences seem to happen to me way too often, I'll be wishing an obscure film appear on television and low and behold it will the same day, okay so that's not quite a coincidence as it could be, but the weirdest one so far that I've encountered was me going on Google Maps one day, out of boredom/interest I suppose, and looking for the most remote place I could see on the globe to try and do a street view, I ended up on somewhere unknown to me called Wrangel Island, that afternoon I'm watching a game show or so... [More]
Comment icon #12 Posted by theotherguy on 13 October, 2014, 23:13
Between the Vikings, the Romans, the Angles, the Saxons, the Celts, and pretty much every other European culture, there has got to be tons--literally tons--of valuables buried around the British Isles. If I was any sort of collector, that's where I would start.
Comment icon #13 Posted by tipotep on 14 October, 2014, 0:50
Arch Stanton? LOL it was the grave marked unknown next to it " Unk , Unk , Unk ... it has no name on it "
Comment icon #14 Posted by Hammerclaw on 14 October, 2014, 0:51
That gold pin in the article... By the shape of it's beak it's a flamingo.Where the heck did a Norse craftsman see a flamingo? There are two species native to the old world, one to southern Iberia.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Thorvir Hrothgaard on 14 October, 2014, 16:18
Arch Stanton? I got that reference. Thanks.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Aisling on 22 October, 2014, 18:33
And this is exactly why I want to go to the British Isles lol.
Comment icon #17 Posted by seeder on 14 May, 2017, 8:26
UPDATE:
Comment icon #18 Posted by Gingitsune on 14 May, 2017, 19:24
About anywhere around the Mediterranean Sea + Portugal. I had the same though.
Comment icon #19 Posted by seanjo on 21 May, 2017, 23:37
They were more well travelled than is credited them.
Comment icon #20 Posted by coolguy on 22 May, 2017, 3:41
Awesome its like hiting the lotto

Physicist solves time travel paradox problem
9-28-2020
Physics student Germain Tobar has come up with the mathematics for what he calls 'paradox-free' time travel.
'Spooky' moving curtain goes viral on TikTok
9-28-2020
A clip that some have attributed to a ghostly visitor has received over 8 million views on the video sharing site.
Doctors discover needles in woman's brain
9-27-2020
A woman who underwent a CT scan in China was inexplicably found to have two needles in her head.
Man dies after eating too much black licorice
9-27-2020
The popular sweet treat may seem harmless enough, but eating too much of it can literally prove fatal.
Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball