Tuesday, March 26, 2019

UFO enthusiasts are flocking to Devils Tower

Posted on Sunday, 3 September, 2017 | Comment icon 31 comments

Devils Tower is the solidified core of an ancient volcano. Image Credit: Public Domain
The iconic monument was featured prominently in the 1977 movie 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'.
Rising 386 meters above the Belle Fourche River, the Devils Tower in northeastern Wyoming was declared a United States National Monument by Theodore Roosevelt all the way back in 1906.

Now in honor of its connection to the UFO phenomenon, enthusiasts from all across the country will be making their way there for the first ever Devils Tower UFO Rendezvous from September 14th-16th.

The event marks the 40th anniversary of the movie that helped to make it famous.

"There is a scientific side of it, there's a lot of people that are taking it very seriously and they're the ones that are more interested in the convention," said organizer Brian Olson.

The event will see talks from a number of UFO researchers as well as a UFO-themed parade.

"This is the 40th anniversary of Close Encounters of the Third Kind," said organizer Laurie Tucker.

"I'd like to think that that movie put Devils Tower and our community on the map so we're also celebrating that as well."

Source: TIME Magazine | Comments (31)

Tags: Devils Tower, UFO

Comment icon #22 Posted by CeresExpo2000 on 5 September, 2017, 14:12
The Grays show up at the end.
Comment icon #23 Posted by badeskov on 5 September, 2017, 15:39
Amazing movie.  Cheers, Badeskov
Comment icon #24 Posted by stereologist on 5 September, 2017, 15:40
Neither Old Faithful nor Devil's Tower were in the path of totality. The Grand Tetons were in the path of totality. The Grand Teton is famous. It is one of the most photgraphed mountains in the world.
Comment icon #25 Posted by brizink on 6 September, 2017, 5:23
So I'm gonna ruin the movie... A ship arrives at the end and sings a cover of 'hallelujah' in it's best Ronnie James Dio voice. Rad movie, only watch it on acid. That's what I do and it's like the first time I heard Guns 'N' Roses \m/
Comment icon #26 Posted by The Silver Thong on 7 September, 2017, 2:40
could you please pass the potatoes. I have a mountain to build
Comment icon #27 Posted by Merc14 on 7 September, 2017, 3:02
LMAO    HS, Terry Garr just left with my kids!  Better grab the hose and get  the ridges right.  Movie drove me nuts the first time but the pay off was great, hope to see it at the theater with my young son.
Comment icon #28 Posted by DieChecker on 7 September, 2017, 12:46
As long as they don't let Spielburg change all the police and military into guys holding walkie talkies, rather then guns.... (a la ET...)
Comment icon #29 Posted by preacherman76 on 7 September, 2017, 13:23
Hey Hammer. Please understand, I take no offense to what you said here. In fact I'm sure I'd be among you as a skeptic. I cant help but to think though, what about us folks who never cared, let alone imagined such things to be real, yet were forced to confront this reality? Now don't get me wrong, Im not saying ET's have visited us. I can say for certain that there are flying saucers though. If this is a religion, then I'm saint Paul who was struck down on the road to Damascus. I didn't seek to land on Plymouth rock. Plymouth rock landed on me. lol
Comment icon #30 Posted by Hammerclaw on 9 September, 2017, 2:45
No worries. I accept without reservation you believe you saw flying saucers. Question is, can you prove it? The sky is full of things the average joe can't identify or misidentifies. Without contextual supporting evidence it takes a leap of faith to conclude they could never be identified as something mundane. So, at the gathering at Devil's Tower there'll be dozens or more, such as you, swapping accounts, each sincerely believing he saw something extraordinary and each reinforcing the other's belief that they did, too.
Comment icon #31 Posted by Hammerclaw on 9 September, 2017, 4:33
I'm a wistful skeptic or sceptic, as they say in the rest of the British diaspora. I want U.F.O.s to be something fantastic, something extraordinary, be it ET's or natural phenomena. I cut my teeth on Ufology when I was twelve with Frank Edward's Flying Saucers, Serious Business. However, after half a century since, there's been no hard science confirmation, at all.  I'm a willing believer, with factual evidence to support that belief, but anecdotal tales, how ever sincere, just won't cut it, anymore. I want proof.

'Sleeping Beauty' naps for weeks at a time
3-25-2019
A woman with a rare sleeping disorder can sometimes spend weeks sleeping up to 22 hours a day.
NASA reveals details of Mars 2020 helicopter
3-25-2019
The tiny chopper is set to become the first man-made aerial vehicle to fly through the skies of another world.
Earth could be under 'galactic quarantine'
3-25-2019
An international group of scientists met in Paris last week to discuss why we have yet to encounter alien life.
Fridge full of beer found in field after flood
3-24-2019
Two men who had been cleaning up after a flood couldn't believe their luck when they found a fully stocked fridge.
Latin America's most dangerous snake
Posted 3-24-2019 | 1 comment
Coyote Peterson comes face to face with an extremely dangerous reptile.

Squaring a doughnut
Posted 3-12-2019 | 1 comment
Michael returns with another mind-bending problem - this time concerning squares.

Shells of cosmic time
Posted 3-3-2019 | 0 comments
A look at how observations of distant objects enable us to see back in time.

Thailand's snake village
Posted 2-26-2019 | 2 comments
Steve Backshall visits a village where the inhabitants live alongside dangerous snakes.

Why do blind people wear sunglasses ?
Posted 2-19-2019 | 2 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why blind people are often seen wearing sunglasses, even indoors.

Winter solstice hooded figures