Saturday, March 24, 2018

UFO enthusiasts are flocking to Devils Tower

Posted on Sunday, 3 September, 2017 | Comment icon 31 comments

Devils Tower is the solidified core of an ancient volcano. Image Credit: Public Domain
The iconic monument was featured prominently in the 1977 movie 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'.
Rising 386 meters above the Belle Fourche River, the Devils Tower in northeastern Wyoming was declared a United States National Monument by Theodore Roosevelt all the way back in 1906.

Now in honor of its connection to the UFO phenomenon, enthusiasts from all across the country will be making their way there for the first ever Devils Tower UFO Rendezvous from September 14th-16th.

The event marks the 40th anniversary of the movie that helped to make it famous.

"There is a scientific side of it, there's a lot of people that are taking it very seriously and they're the ones that are more interested in the convention," said organizer Brian Olson.

The event will see talks from a number of UFO researchers as well as a UFO-themed parade.

"This is the 40th anniversary of Close Encounters of the Third Kind," said organizer Laurie Tucker.

"I'd like to think that that movie put Devils Tower and our community on the map so we're also celebrating that as well."

Source: TIME Magazine | Comments (31)

Tags: Devils Tower, UFO

Comment icon #22 Posted by CeresExpo2000 on 5 September, 2017, 14:12
The Grays show up at the end.
Comment icon #23 Posted by badeskov on 5 September, 2017, 15:39
Amazing movie. Cheers, Badeskov
Comment icon #24 Posted by stereologist on 5 September, 2017, 15:40
Neither Old Faithful nor Devil's Tower were in the path of totality. The Grand Tetons were in the path of totality. The Grand Teton is famous. It is one of the most photgraphed mountains in the world.
Comment icon #25 Posted by brizink on 6 September, 2017, 5:23
So I'm gonna ruin the movie... A ship arrives at the end and sings a cover of 'hallelujah' in it's best Ronnie James Dio voice. Rad movie, only watch it on acid. That's what I do and it's like the first time I heard Guns 'N' Roses \m/
Comment icon #26 Posted by The Silver Thong on 7 September, 2017, 2:40
could you please pass the potatoes. I have a mountain to build
Comment icon #27 Posted by Merc14 on 7 September, 2017, 3:02
LMAO HS, Terry Garr just left with my kids! Better grab the hose and get the ridges right. Movie drove me nuts the first time but the pay off was great, hope to see it at the theater with my young son.
Comment icon #28 Posted by DieChecker on 7 September, 2017, 12:46
As long as they don't let Spielburg change all the police and military into guys holding walkie talkies, rather then guns.... (a la ET...)
Comment icon #29 Posted by preacherman76 on 7 September, 2017, 13:23
Hey Hammer. Please understand, I take no offense to what you said here. In fact I'm sure I'd be among you as a skeptic. I cant help but to think though, what about us folks who never cared, let alone imagined such things to be real, yet were forced to confront this reality? Now don't get me wrong, Im not saying ET's have visited us. I can say for certain that there are flying saucers though. If this is a religion, then I'm saint Paul who was struck down on the road to Damascus. I didn'tseek to land on Plymouth rock. Plymouth rock landed on me. lol
Comment icon #30 Posted by Hammerclaw on 9 September, 2017, 2:45
No worries. I accept without reservation you believe you saw flying saucers. Question is, can you prove it? The sky is full of things the average joe can't identify or misidentifies. Without contextual supporting evidence it takes a leap of faith to conclude they could never be identified as something mundane. So, at the gathering at Devil's Tower there'll be dozens or more, such as you, swapping accounts, each sincerely believing he saw something extraordinary and each reinforcing the other's belief that they did, too.
Comment icon #31 Posted by Hammerclaw on 9 September, 2017, 4:33
I'm a wistful skeptic or sceptic, as they say in the rest of the British diaspora. I want U.F.O.s to be something fantastic, something extraordinary, be it ET's or natural phenomena. I cut my teeth on Ufology when I was twelve with Frank Edward's Flying Saucers, Serious Business. However, after half a century since, there's been no hard science confirmation, at all. I'm a willing believer, with factual evidence to support that belief, but anecdotal tales, how ever sincere, just won't cut it, anymore. I want proof.

Curiosity rover celebrates 2,000 days on Mars
NASA's flagship rover has now been trundling across the surface of the Red Planet for more than five years.
Wreck of the USS Juneau found after 75 years
The World War II-era vessel went down in 1942 after being hit by Japanese torpedoes in the Pacific.
Tiangong-1 space station to crash over Easter
China's out-of-control Tiangong-1 space lab is now expected to fall to Earth over the Easter weekend.
Mystery of lioness with a mane has been solved
Researchers have finally determined why a zoo lioness has mysteriously sprouted mane-like head and neck hair.
How smart are you ?
Posted 3-23-2018 | 1 comment
Does an IQ test really offer an accurate measure of a person's intelligence ?
Posted 3-22-2018 | 1 comment
A look at words that sound alike and are spelt the same, but that have different meanings.
Monkeys learn to socialize
Posted 3-18-2018 | 0 comments
These young vervet monkeys must learn to socialize before being released in to the wild.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA