Monday, January 22, 2018

UFO enthusiasts are flocking to Devils Tower

Posted on Sunday, 3 September, 2017 | Comment icon 31 comments

Devils Tower is the solidified core of an ancient volcano. Image Credit: Public Domain
The iconic monument was featured prominently in the 1977 movie 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'.
Rising 386 meters above the Belle Fourche River, the Devils Tower in northeastern Wyoming was declared a United States National Monument by Theodore Roosevelt all the way back in 1906.

Now in honor of its connection to the UFO phenomenon, enthusiasts from all across the country will be making their way there for the first ever Devils Tower UFO Rendezvous from September 14th-16th.

The event marks the 40th anniversary of the movie that helped to make it famous.

"There is a scientific side of it, there's a lot of people that are taking it very seriously and they're the ones that are more interested in the convention," said organizer Brian Olson.

The event will see talks from a number of UFO researchers as well as a UFO-themed parade.

"This is the 40th anniversary of Close Encounters of the Third Kind," said organizer Laurie Tucker.

"I'd like to think that that movie put Devils Tower and our community on the map so we're also celebrating that as well."

Source: TIME Magazine | Comments (31)

Tags: Devils Tower, UFO

Comment icon #22 Posted by CeresExpo2000 on 5 September, 2017, 14:12
The Grays show up at the end.
Comment icon #23 Posted by badeskov on 5 September, 2017, 15:39
Amazing movie. Cheers, Badeskov
Comment icon #24 Posted by stereologist on 5 September, 2017, 15:40
Neither Old Faithful nor Devil's Tower were in the path of totality. The Grand Tetons were in the path of totality. The Grand Teton is famous. It is one of the most photgraphed mountains in the world.
Comment icon #25 Posted by brizink on 6 September, 2017, 5:23
So I'm gonna ruin the movie... A ship arrives at the end and sings a cover of 'hallelujah' in it's best Ronnie James Dio voice. Rad movie, only watch it on acid. That's what I do and it's like the first time I heard Guns 'N' Roses \m/
Comment icon #26 Posted by The Silver Thong on 7 September, 2017, 2:40
could you please pass the potatoes. I have a mountain to build
Comment icon #27 Posted by Merc14 on 7 September, 2017, 3:02
LMAO HS, Terry Garr just left with my kids! Better grab the hose and get the ridges right. Movie drove me nuts the first time but the pay off was great, hope to see it at the theater with my young son.
Comment icon #28 Posted by DieChecker on 7 September, 2017, 12:46
As long as they don't let Spielburg change all the police and military into guys holding walkie talkies, rather then guns.... (a la ET...)
Comment icon #29 Posted by preacherman76 on 7 September, 2017, 13:23
Hey Hammer. Please understand, I take no offense to what you said here. In fact I'm sure I'd be among you as a skeptic. I cant help but to think though, what about us folks who never cared, let alone imagined such things to be real, yet were forced to confront this reality? Now don't get me wrong, Im not saying ET's have visited us. I can say for certain that there are flying saucers though. If this is a religion, then I'm saint Paul who was struck down on the road to Damascus. I didn'tseek to land on Plymouth rock. Plymouth rock landed on me. lol
Comment icon #30 Posted by Hammerclaw on 9 September, 2017, 2:45
No worries. I accept without reservation you believe you saw flying saucers. Question is, can you prove it? The sky is full of things the average joe can't identify or misidentifies. Without contextual supporting evidence it takes a leap of faith to conclude they could never be identified as something mundane. So, at the gathering at Devil's Tower there'll be dozens or more, such as you, swapping accounts, each sincerely believing he saw something extraordinary and each reinforcing the other's belief that they did, too.
Comment icon #31 Posted by Hammerclaw on 9 September, 2017, 4:33
I'm a wistful skeptic or sceptic, as they say in the rest of the British diaspora. I want U.F.O.s to be something fantastic, something extraordinary, be it ET's or natural phenomena. I cut my teeth on Ufology when I was twelve with Frank Edward's Flying Saucers, Serious Business. However, after half a century since, there's been no hard science confirmation, at all. I'm a willing believer, with factual evidence to support that belief, but anecdotal tales, how ever sincere, just won't cut it, anymore. I want proof.

Weather blamed for 200,000 antelope deaths
1-21-2018
Scientists may have finally determined what caused vast numbers of saiga antelopes to die back in 2015.
Oolitic limestone is full of tiny fossils
1-21-2018
Many of today's major buildings were constructed using a material that is filled with tiny prehistoric fossils.
Undersea 'Mordor' found off coast of Australia
1-20-2018
The 'Tolkienesque' landscape is made up of 26 underwater volcanoes buried beneath seabed sediment.
'Brother mummies' had different fathers
1-20-2018
Scientists have finally solved the mystery of the relationship between two 4,000-year-old mummies.
Brian Cox talks to Buzz Aldrin
Posted 1-18-2018 | 1 comment
Professor Brian Cox discusses space travel with legendary astronaut Buzz Aldrin.

Typing vs handwriting
Posted 1-16-2018 | 2 comments
Is typing on a computer better or worse for your memory then writing on paper ?

Can coding help avoid job automation ?
Posted 1-12-2018 | 0 comments
Taking up coding and technical skills to avoid automation may be counter-productive.

Dinosaur death match
Posted 1-8-2018 | 0 comments
A look at how various dinosaurs might have fared against the predators of their day.

Best records of 2017
Posted 1-4-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at some of the most bizarre and amazing world records of the last year.

Strange feeling
1-18-2018 | Different places

Unexplained voices
1-18-2018 | United States

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States