Thursday, July 19, 2018

Nessie tops poll of UK supernatural mysteries

Posted on Thursday, 2 November, 2017 | Comment icon 28 comments

The UK is home to numerous mysteries and legends. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Ian Stewart
The iconic monster earned the top spot in the poll which included several of the UK's most enduring enigmas.
The nationwide poll, which was conducted by the TV channel 'Really' in connection with its Halloween program schedule, saw 42 per cent of the votes going to Scotland's legendary loch beast.

In second place on the poll was the Beast of Bodmin Moor in Cornwall - a creature thought to be a large cat that has been responsible for killing livestock in the southwest of England since the 1990s.

Another popular choice among voters was the infamous Enfield Poltergeist case which saw a young girl being allegedly possessed by the spirit of an old man between 1977 and 1979.

The peculiar case of the Overtoun Bridge in West Dunbartonshire, from which dozens of dogs have inexplicably jumped to their deaths over the last 70 years, also made the list.

"Britain has stories of unexplained phenomena dating back centuries, but we have seen new mysteries unfold in more recent decades," said UKTV Play general manager Richard Williams.

"We continue to be fascinated by the things we can't quite unravel. That's why we are celebrating the things we are at a loss to explain with our Halloween season."

Source: Scotsman | Comments (28)

Tags: Loch Ness Monster

Comment icon #19 Posted by Matt221 on 24 November, 2017, 19:37
Nessie beat the Enfield haunting... noway better if Jannet Hodgsen is reading this she'd beg to differ flying through the air beats a monster every time I rekon
Comment icon #20 Posted by Black Monk on 26 November, 2017, 10:57
Tell that to the people who have actually seen the monster with their own eyes.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Black Monk on 26 November, 2017, 10:58
Here she is being interviewed on This Morning in 2012:
Comment icon #22 Posted by Matt221 on 26 November, 2017, 16:36
Fascinating interview joking aside how did the high profile, money spinning,tourist atracting,Nessie beat that I wonder
Comment icon #23 Posted by The Ghastly Grimoire on 26 November, 2017, 16:42
Man, I wanna like this but at the same time it's seriously the most depressing thing I've read and learned about to day. Poor pupper shnuppers.
Comment icon #24 Posted by The Silver Thong on 26 November, 2017, 16:47
I worked with a girl that swore she had a ghost that kept touching her feet
Comment icon #25 Posted by The Ghastly Grimoire on 26 November, 2017, 16:54
*twitches* Feet gross me out. I'd die if that were the case.
Comment icon #26 Posted by The Silver Thong on 26 November, 2017, 17:20
I nick named it the toe touchyghost and made fun of her sometimes, how's toe touchy doing? . Feet don't gross me out unless they are really cold.
Comment icon #27 Posted by Myles on 26 November, 2017, 19:20
Lots of misidentification.
Comment icon #28 Posted by The Silver Thong on 26 November, 2017, 22:21
Like big foot, I swore I saw it but then I rubbed my eye's and it was my ex mother in law yelling at me to take out the garbage. So I kicked her out.

Prehistoric baby snake found trapped in amber
7-19-2018
Scientists have discovered the well-preserved remains of a jeuvenile snake dating back 99 million years.
Telescope receives upgrade, exceeds Hubble
7-18-2018
Adaptive optics technology has now made it possible for ground telescopes to take extremely sharp images.
Your earliest memory may be fake, study claims
7-18-2018
Scientists maintain that our earliest memories could not have happened the way we remember them.
New geological era named the Meghalayan Age
7-18-2018
Scientists have announced that the last 4,200 years of Earth's history have been given an official name.
Why do bandaids glow ?
Posted 7-19-2018 | 0 comments
Dianna Cowern investigates why some bandaids produce a blue glow when they are opened.

Spinning a record to pieces
Posted 7-15-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment with old vinyl records.

Pearlfish's gross hiding spot
Posted 7-8-2018 | 1 comment
A pearlfish finds a particularly unappealing place to hide on the ocean floor.

What jobs will flourish in the future ?
Posted 7-5-2018 | 2 comments
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku predicts which jobs will be important in the future.

Skunked
Posted 7-1-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson meets a rather adorable skunk - but can he avoid getting sprayed ?

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA