Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Nessie tops poll of UK supernatural mysteries

Posted on Thursday, 2 November, 2017 | Comment icon 28 comments

The UK is home to numerous mysteries and legends. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Ian Stewart
The iconic monster earned the top spot in the poll which included several of the UK's most enduring enigmas.
The nationwide poll, which was conducted by the TV channel 'Really' in connection with its Halloween program schedule, saw 42 per cent of the votes going to Scotland's legendary loch beast.

In second place on the poll was the Beast of Bodmin Moor in Cornwall - a creature thought to be a large cat that has been responsible for killing livestock in the southwest of England since the 1990s.

Another popular choice among voters was the infamous Enfield Poltergeist case which saw a young girl being allegedly possessed by the spirit of an old man between 1977 and 1979.

The peculiar case of the Overtoun Bridge in West Dunbartonshire, from which dozens of dogs have inexplicably jumped to their deaths over the last 70 years, also made the list.

"Britain has stories of unexplained phenomena dating back centuries, but we have seen new mysteries unfold in more recent decades," said UKTV Play general manager Richard Williams.

"We continue to be fascinated by the things we can't quite unravel. That's why we are celebrating the things we are at a loss to explain with our Halloween season."

Source: Scotsman | Comments (28)

Tags: Loch Ness Monster

Comment icon #19 Posted by Matt221 on 24 November, 2017, 19:37
Nessie beat the Enfield haunting... no way better if Jannet Hodgsen is reading this she'd beg to differ flying through the air beats a monster every time I rekon
Comment icon #20 Posted by Black Monk on 26 November, 2017, 10:57
Tell that to the people who have actually seen the monster with their own eyes.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Black Monk on 26 November, 2017, 10:58
Here she is being interviewed on This Morning in 2012:
Comment icon #22 Posted by Matt221 on 26 November, 2017, 16:36
Fascinating interview joking aside how did the high profile, money spinning,tourist atracting,Nessie beat that I wonder
Comment icon #23 Posted by The Ghastly Grimoire on 26 November, 2017, 16:42
Man, I wanna like this but at the same time it's seriously the most depressing thing I've read and learned about to day. Poor pupper shnuppers.
Comment icon #24 Posted by The Silver Thong on 26 November, 2017, 16:47
I worked with a girl that swore she had a ghost that kept touching her feet
Comment icon #25 Posted by The Ghastly Grimoire on 26 November, 2017, 16:54
*twitches* Feet gross me out. I'd die if that were the case.
Comment icon #26 Posted by The Silver Thong on 26 November, 2017, 17:20
I nick named it the toe touchy ghost and made fun of her sometimes, how's toe touchy doing? . Feet don't gross me out unless they are really cold.
Comment icon #27 Posted by Myles on 26 November, 2017, 19:20
Lots of misidentification.
Comment icon #28 Posted by The Silver Thong on 26 November, 2017, 22:21
Like big foot, I swore I saw it but then I rubbed my eye's and it was my ex mother in law yelling at me to take out the garbage. So I kicked her out.

New 'Noah's Ark' will store DNA of complex life
4-24-2018
The ambitious BioGenome Project aims to sequence and store the genomes of more than 1.5 million species.
Hubble Space Telescope has turned 28
4-24-2018
The world-famous telescope has been capturing images of the cosmos for the better part of three decades.
Children are as fit as endurance athletes
4-24-2018
A new study has revealed that the muscles of children resist fatigue in the same way as those of elite athletes.
Uranus smells like rotten eggs, say scientists
4-23-2018
Hydrogen sulfide, which gives rotten eggs their smell, has been discovered in the seventh planet's atmosphere.
Could you survive a nuclear bomb ?
Posted 4-24-2018 | 0 comments
If someone dropped an atomic bomb on a city, what would be your chances of survival ?

What does space smell like ?
Posted 4-23-2018 | 0 comments
Does the vacuum of space actually smell of anything and if so, what ?

Why is US paper money green ?
Posted 4-22-2018 | 0 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why the color green was used when printing US bank notes.

Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA