Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Embryo born after being frozen for 24 years

Posted on Thursday, 21 December, 2017 | Comment icon 12 comments

The child was conceived decades ago. Image Credit: sxc.hu
The record-breaking achievement is thought to represent the longest ever gap between conception and birth.
The embryo, which was originally donated by a family in the US, was eventually transferred to the uturus of Tina Gibson where it would later become Emma Wren Gibson - a healthy baby girl.

In a peculiar twist, Tina herself was only 25 at the time - meaning that she was born within twelve months of her own daughter's conception.

"This embryo and I could have been best friends," she said. "Emma is such a sweet miracle."

Doctors call fertilized embryos of this age 'snow babies' due to how long they have been frozen.

In this case the embryo was supplied by the National Embryo Donation Center which encourages couples to donate embryos once their family is complete to help other couples become parents.

It remains unclear just how long an embryo can remain viable while frozen in this way, however a women giving birth to an embryo much older than herself may soon become a distinct possibility.

Source: BBC News | Comments (12)

Tags: Embryo, Baby

Comment icon #3 Posted by Opus Magnus on 21 December, 2017, 14:25
Well, this should be interesting to see how she grows up. 'Snow babies' reminds me of the term 'Moon children' though...
Comment icon #4 Posted by third_eye on 21 December, 2017, 14:31
Now ... if we can only isolate some surrogate wombs on Proxima Centauri ... ~ †
Comment icon #5 Posted by XenoFish on 21 December, 2017, 14:46
Why not develop artificial wombs?†
Comment icon #6 Posted by third_eye on 21 December, 2017, 14:47
What's the fun in that ? ~
Comment icon #7 Posted by LucidElement on 22 December, 2017, 5:22
Some of me thinks itís great for other families to produce children from others embryos. The majority of me, and more feels that I could never do something like that. I could never see myself having a child that isnít from my DNA. I think when you create a child it should be genetically made up of you and your partner , not Mrs. Jones or whomever. Again, I think itís great that people donate their eggs to those who are less fortunate and truly want kids but I however just wouldnít ever feel like itís mine. Sure, raising the child would be mine , but I would never be able to say ... ya he is th... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by LucidElement on 22 December, 2017, 5:26
Lol, itís like aging a wine ... if you age it†to long it will spoil.. †canít keep anything in the freezer to long or there will be issues .
Comment icon #9 Posted by Brok on 22 December, 2017, 22:00
So they basically put an unborn baby in suspended animation for 24 years? That sounds kinda messed up to me TBH.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Rlyeh on 23 December, 2017, 4:50
It might come as a shock but embryos used in IVF are usually stored cryogenically.
Comment icon #11 Posted by I'mConvinced on 23 December, 2017, 12:18
Artificially inseminating them?†
Comment icon #12 Posted by third_eye on 23 December, 2017, 12:20
You† do it your way and I'll do it My Way ... ~

HMS Endeavour may have been found in the US
9-19-2018
The final resting place of one of the world's most famous ships has reportedly been found after 240 years.
Group offers $11,700 for proof of superpowers
9-18-2018
The Society for the Scientific Investigation of Para-Sciences is looking for proof that psychic abilities exist.
UK tsunami risk is much higher than thought
9-18-2018
New research has revealed that the last tsunami to hit the UK was a lot more recent than anyone had realized.
SpaceX unveils identity of first Moon tourist
9-18-2018
The private space firm has revealed who will be flying around the Moon aboard its upcoming BFR rocket.
Treadmill fall in slow motion
Posted 9-17-2018 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys return with another bizarre slow-motion experiment.

Tricking your ears
Posted 9-9-2018 | 0 comments
A look at some intriguing audio illusions and at how the brain interprets sound.

The science of music
Posted 9-5-2018 | 0 comments
A look at why our brains become so hooked on particularly catchy songs.

Swimming with lemon sharks
Posted 8-28-2018 | 1 comment
Steve Backshall gets up close to a group of deadly lemon sharks.

Cousins explained
Posted 8-24-2018 | 4 comments
Exactly what is a third cousin twice removed ? Michael unravels the mystery.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas