Thursday, September 24, 2020

Embryo born after being frozen for 24 years

Posted on Thursday, 21 December, 2017 | Comment icon 12 comments

The child was conceived decades ago. Image Credit: sxc.hu
The record-breaking achievement is thought to represent the longest ever gap between conception and birth.
The embryo, which was originally donated by a family in the US, was eventually transferred to the uturus of Tina Gibson where it would later become Emma Wren Gibson - a healthy baby girl.

In a peculiar twist, Tina herself was only 25 at the time - meaning that she was born within twelve months of her own daughter's conception.

"This embryo and I could have been best friends," she said. "Emma is such a sweet miracle."
Doctors call fertilized embryos of this age 'snow babies' due to how long they have been frozen.

In this case the embryo was supplied by the National Embryo Donation Center which encourages couples to donate embryos once their family is complete to help other couples become parents.

It remains unclear just how long an embryo can remain viable while frozen in this way, however a women giving birth to an embryo much older than herself may soon become a distinct possibility.

Source: BBC News | Comments (12)

Tags: Embryo, Baby

Comment icon #3 Posted by Opus Magnus on 21 December, 2017, 14:25
Well, this should be interesting to see how she grows up. 'Snow babies' reminds me of the term 'Moon children' though...
Comment icon #4 Posted by third_eye on 21 December, 2017, 14:31
Now ... if we can only isolate some surrogate wombs on Proxima Centauri ... ~ †
Comment icon #5 Posted by XenoFish on 21 December, 2017, 14:46
Why not develop artificial wombs?†
Comment icon #6 Posted by third_eye on 21 December, 2017, 14:47
What's the fun in that ? ~
Comment icon #7 Posted by LucidElement on 22 December, 2017, 5:22
Some of me thinks itís great for other families to produce children from others embryos. The majority of me, and more feels that I could never do something like that. I could never see myself having a child that isnít from my DNA. I think when you create a child it should be genetically made up of you and your partner , not Mrs. Jones or whomever. Again, I think itís great that people donate their eggs to those who are less fortunate and truly want kids but I however just wouldnít ever feel like itís mine. Sure, raising the child would be mine , but I would never be able to say ... ya he is th... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by LucidElement on 22 December, 2017, 5:26
Lol, itís like aging a wine ... if you age it†to long it will spoil.. †canít keep anything in the freezer to long or there will be issues .
Comment icon #9 Posted by Brok on 22 December, 2017, 22:00
So they basically put an unborn baby in suspended animation for 24 years? That sounds kinda messed up to me TBH.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Rlyeh on 23 December, 2017, 4:50
It might come as a shock but embryos used in IVF are usually stored cryogenically.
Comment icon #11 Posted by I'mConvinced on 23 December, 2017, 12:18
Artificially inseminating them?†
Comment icon #12 Posted by third_eye on 23 December, 2017, 12:20
You† do it your way and I'll do it My Way ... ~

282060

United States and the Americas
  Breonna Taylor case
  Tut tut Harry
  Hollywood Hypocrites
 Extraterrestrial Life & The UFO Phenomenon
  Pilot: 'Tic-Tac UFO committed act of war'
  The misconception of Mick & the UFO video's
  UFO Battle 1665
Man who claims to be Jesus arrested in Russia
9-23-2020
A major operation this week saw an armed police unit swoop in to arrest the leader of a modern day cult.
Remembering 'Storm Area 51' - one year on
9-23-2020
12 months ago, what started out as a tongue-in-cheek Facebook post became a social media phenomenon.
NASA: first woman to walk on the Moon by 2024
9-22-2020
The space agency has officially published its $28bn plan to land humans on the lunar surface within four years.
'Tesla was from Venus' claims FBI document
9-22-2020
A rather peculiar claim concerning Nikola Tesla has been found in the archives of the FBI's official website.
Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball