Sunday, February 18, 2018

Embryo born after being frozen for 24 years

Posted on Thursday, 21 December, 2017 | Comment icon 12 comments

The child was conceived decades ago. Image Credit: sxc.hu
The record-breaking achievement is thought to represent the longest ever gap between conception and birth.
The embryo, which was originally donated by a family in the US, was eventually transferred to the uturus of Tina Gibson where it would later become Emma Wren Gibson - a healthy baby girl.

In a peculiar twist, Tina herself was only 25 at the time - meaning that she was born within twelve months of her own daughter's conception.

"This embryo and I could have been best friends," she said. "Emma is such a sweet miracle."

Doctors call fertilized embryos of this age 'snow babies' due to how long they have been frozen.

In this case the embryo was supplied by the National Embryo Donation Center which encourages couples to donate embryos once their family is complete to help other couples become parents.

It remains unclear just how long an embryo can remain viable while frozen in this way, however a women giving birth to an embryo much older than herself may soon become a distinct possibility.

Source: BBC News | Comments (12)

Tags: Embryo, Baby

Comment icon #3 Posted by Opus Magnus on 21 December, 2017, 14:25
Well, this should be interesting to see how she grows up. 'Snow babies' reminds me of the term 'Moon children' though...
Comment icon #4 Posted by third_eye on 21 December, 2017, 14:31
Now ... if we can only isolate some surrogate wombs on Proxima Centauri ... ~ †
Comment icon #5 Posted by XenoFish on 21 December, 2017, 14:46
Why not develop artificial wombs?†
Comment icon #6 Posted by third_eye on 21 December, 2017, 14:47
What's the fun in that ? ~
Comment icon #7 Posted by LucidElement on 22 December, 2017, 5:22
Some of me thinks itís great for other families to produce children from others embryos. The majority of me, and more feels that I could never do something like that. I could never see myself having a child that isnít from my DNA. I think when you create a child it should be genetically made up of you and your partner , not Mrs. Jones or whomever. Again, I think itís great that people donate their eggs to those who are less fortunate and truly want kids but I however just wouldnít ever feel like itís mine. Sure, raising the child would be mine , but I would never be able to say ... ya he is th... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by LucidElement on 22 December, 2017, 5:26
Lol, itís like aging a wine ... if you age it†to long it will spoil.. †canít keep anything in the freezer to long or there will be issues .
Comment icon #9 Posted by Brok on 22 December, 2017, 22:00
So they basically put an unborn baby in suspended animation for 24 years? That sounds kinda messed up to me TBH.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Rlyeh on 23 December, 2017, 4:50
It might come as a shock but embryos used in IVF are usually stored cryogenically.
Comment icon #11 Posted by I'mConvinced on 23 December, 2017, 12:18
Artificially inseminating them?†
Comment icon #12 Posted by third_eye on 23 December, 2017, 12:20
You† do it your way and I'll do it My Way ... ~

Hunt for Earth 2.0 yields 95 new exoplanets
2-18-2018
A renewed hunt for Earth-like worlds has yielded a haul of 95 previously undiscovered extrasolar planets.
Scientists create human-sheep hybrid embryos
2-18-2018
The research aims to solve donor organ shortages by making it possible to grow human organs inside sheep.
Woman sues California over Bigfoot sighting
2-18-2018
Claudia Ackley has taken it upon herself to sue the state for refusing to acknowledge the existence of Bigfoot.
Man gets trapped down a sewer for three days
2-17-2018
The unfortunate man spent several days scrambling around the sewerage system looking for a way out.
Big Bang vs Big Bounce
Posted 2-16-2018 | 0 comments
Was there another universe here before our own universe came in to existence ?

The Leaning Tower of Lire
Posted 2-12-2018 | 0 comments
Vsauce returns with a thought-provoking video about the problem of stacking blocks.

How did the dinosaurs die ?
Posted 2-8-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the devastating events that preceded the extinction of the dinosaurs.

World's longest bicycle
Posted 2-5-2018 | 2 comments
This ridiculous bicycle measures 41.42 meters in length and took nine months to put together.

The British flying Jeep
Posted 2-3-2018 | 0 comments
The British military reportedly developed a prototype flying car all the way back in 1942.

Black hole in Bismarck
2-14-2018 | Mandan

Trapped and chased
2-9-2018 | Saskatchewan canada

Someone calling my name
2-9-2018 | Budd Lake NJ

Strange feeling
1-18-2018 | Different places

Unexplained voices
1-18-2018 | United States

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana