Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Embryo born after being frozen for 24 years

Posted on Thursday, 21 December, 2017 | Comment icon 12 comments

The child was conceived decades ago. Image Credit: sxc.hu
The record-breaking achievement is thought to represent the longest ever gap between conception and birth.
The embryo, which was originally donated by a family in the US, was eventually transferred to the uturus of Tina Gibson where it would later become Emma Wren Gibson - a healthy baby girl.

In a peculiar twist, Tina herself was only 25 at the time - meaning that she was born within twelve months of her own daughter's conception.

"This embryo and I could have been best friends," she said. "Emma is such a sweet miracle."

Doctors call fertilized embryos of this age 'snow babies' due to how long they have been frozen.

In this case the embryo was supplied by the National Embryo Donation Center which encourages couples to donate embryos once their family is complete to help other couples become parents.

It remains unclear just how long an embryo can remain viable while frozen in this way, however a women giving birth to an embryo much older than herself may soon become a distinct possibility.

Source: BBC News | Comments (12)

Tags: Embryo, Baby

Comment icon #3 Posted by Opus Magnus on 21 December, 2017, 14:25
Well, this should be interesting to see how she grows up. 'Snow babies' reminds me of the term 'Moon children' though...
Comment icon #4 Posted by third_eye on 21 December, 2017, 14:31
Now ... if we can only isolate some surrogate wombs on Proxima Centauri ... ~ †
Comment icon #5 Posted by XenoFish on 21 December, 2017, 14:46
Why not develop artificial wombs?†
Comment icon #6 Posted by third_eye on 21 December, 2017, 14:47
What's the fun in that ? ~
Comment icon #7 Posted by LucidElement on 22 December, 2017, 5:22
Some of me thinks itís great for other families to produce children from others embryos. The majority of me, and more feels that I could never do something like that. I could never see myself having a child that isnít from my DNA. I think when you create a child it should be genetically made up of you and your partner , not Mrs. Jones or whomever. Again, I think itís great that people donate their eggs to those who are less fortunate and truly want kids but I however just wouldnít ever feel like itís mine. Sure, raising the child would be mine , but I would never be able to say ... ya he is th... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by LucidElement on 22 December, 2017, 5:26
Lol, itís like aging a wine ... if you age it†to long it will spoil.. †canít keep anything in the freezer to long or there will be issues .
Comment icon #9 Posted by Brok on 22 December, 2017, 22:00
So they basically put an unborn baby in suspended animation for 24 years? That sounds kinda messed up to me TBH.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Rlyeh on 23 December, 2017, 4:50
It might come as a shock but embryos used in IVF are usually stored cryogenically.
Comment icon #11 Posted by I'mConvinced on 23 December, 2017, 12:18
Artificially inseminating them?†
Comment icon #12 Posted by third_eye on 23 December, 2017, 12:20
You† do it your way and I'll do it My Way ... ~

6209138

Trump orders creation of a US 'space force'
6-19-2018
This brand new branch of the US military will aim to establish American dominance in outer space.
Are black holes actually colliding wormholes?
6-18-2018
Scientists have put forward the possibility that what we think of as a black hole may be something else entirely.
Giant invasive plant is spreading across the US
6-18-2018
Scientists have revealed that giant hogweed has spread to Virginia and can now be found in at least eight US states.
Man spends three days buried beneath a road
6-18-2018
Performance artist Mike Parr has emerged after spending 72 hours buried within a coffin-like box.
Hermit crab finds a new home
Posted 6-18-2018 | 0 comments
Hermit crabs on this tropical island have been experiencing something of a housing shortage.

Throwing water at -52 below zero
Posted 6-10-2018 | 1 comment
What happens when you throw hot water in to the air in extreme freezing temperatures ?

Man was bitten by snakes 200 times
Posted 6-6-2018 | 0 comments
Despite being bitten so many times, 'snakeman' Bill Haast lived to be over 100 years old.

Catching an octopus
Posted 6-4-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson goes in search of an octopus in the tidal pools of South Africa.

The mystery of Tic-Tac bouncing
Posted 5-29-2018 | 0 comments
How is it that Tic-Tacs can bounce higher on the second bounce than on the first ?

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA