Sunday, March 18, 2018

Man dies after dog accidentally shoots him

Posted on Monday, 22 January, 2018 | Comment icon 14 comments

The hunting trip did not go as planned. Image Credit: CC BY 3.0 Lyseria
An experienced hunter from Russia has died in a freak accident involving one of his own hunting dogs.
The victim, Sergey Terekhov, had been on a hunting trip with his cousin near his home in southern Russia when the unfortunate accident occurred.

"The weapon rested on his knee, with the butt facing down and the barrel pointing towards his stomach," a member of the regional investigative committee told the press.

When the hunting dogs were released from the car, one of them bounded over excitedly and inadvertently tapped the trigger of the gun, firing a shot directly in to his stomach.

Terekhov's cousin quickly phoned for an ambulance however he died on the way to the hospital.

"Everything was in order," the committee concluded. "This was an unfortunate incident."

Source: Newsweek | Comments (14)

Tags: Russia, Dog

Comment icon #5 Posted by Lilly on 22 January, 2018, 19:32
Amen to that.  I grew up around rifles (rural area in upstate NY) and gun safety was pounded into my brain from a very young age.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Myles on 22 January, 2018, 19:58
Poor guy made a poor decision.   Seems an odd one for an experienced hunter to do. I wonder if he had the gun resting, barrel up, near him and the dog knocked it over and it went off.   I can't imagine anyone holding a shotgun with the barrel to your gut.
Comment icon #7 Posted by paperdyer on 22 January, 2018, 20:14
I think he already won, did he?
Comment icon #8 Posted by Atomical on 22 January, 2018, 21:14
Didn't this also happen a few years ago? Pretty sure it was covered on this forum, too.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Hankenhunter on 22 January, 2018, 21:51
Dog accidentally shoots man? I dunno, it looks like a crime of passion to me.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Piney on 23 January, 2018, 14:14
Some older guns have their firing pin resting right on the bullet's primer instead of being blocked or set back. Old Rugers are like that. I watched a clown shoot himself off his own horse when he dropped his Ruger revolver on its hammer. That's why I always used saddle holsters and shoulder holsters instead of wearing it on my hip.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Nick D on 23 January, 2018, 16:13
In Soviet Russia, gun kills hunter
Comment icon #12 Posted by UFOwatcher on 23 January, 2018, 17:32
""The weapon rested on his knee, with the butt facing down and the barrel pointing towards his stomach,"" Great way to fake a murder, "The Dog Did it"..... OR Hunter accidentally killed himself and companion blamed it on the dog so he would not look silly.... Who knows, this is Russia....
Comment icon #13 Posted by Hammerclaw on 24 January, 2018, 5:45
Guns do discharge, accidently, but an experienced hunter holding a loaded weapon like that is a little hard to swallow.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Alaric on 30 January, 2018, 4:06
That’s what I thought... I’ve never seen  (or even heard of) someone holding/ resting a gun in that manner. I find it especially suspicious as the article said he was an “experienced hunter”, holding a gun with the muzzle pointed at yourself is a rookie mistake to say the least.

Flying drone could launch to Mars in 2020
NASA scientists are considering whether or not to send their lightweight robotic helicopter drone to Mars.
Elongated skulls belonged to 'foreign' brides
Researchers have been unraveling the mystery of elongated skulls discovered in southern Germany.
Plane in Russia drops three tons of gold bars
Bars worth up to $368 million rained down after the aircraft suffered damage during takeoff on Thursday.
Court rejects man's claim that he is not dead
A Romanian court has formally rejected Constantin Reliu's claim that he is actually very much alive.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Michio Kaku on asteroid mining
Posted 3-13-2018 | 1 comment
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku discusses the possibility of mining asteroids in space.
Fastest people in slow motion
Posted 3-12-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the world's fastest card thrower and an amazing fast draw world champion.
Baby elephant overcomes fear of water
Posted 3-11-2018 | 2 comments
After a near-death experience, this young elephant became terrified of the water.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA