Sunday, March 18, 2018

'Tiger on the loose' turns out to be a toy

Posted on Tuesday, 6 February, 2018 | Comment icon 6 comments

It turned out that the ferocious feline wasn't actually very ferocious. Image Credit: Facebook / Police Scotland
A stuffed tiger toy found in a cowshed managed to spark an armed police alert in Scotland at the weekend.
A farmer in Aberdeenshire got the fright of his life when he spotted the large orange cat in one of his farm buildings on Saturday night and rushed to phone the emergency services for help.

When police officers - including an armed unit - arrived on the scene however, it turned out that the ferocious beast, far from being an escaped zoo animal, was actually nothing more than a cuddly toy.

"We received a call from an extremely concerned member of the public late on Saturday evening with regards to a wild animal being loose in the grounds of a farm," said Inspector George Cordiner.

"Unusual as the call may have seemed, any call reporting a potential danger to the public has to be taken seriously and efforts were made to verify the sighting as soon as possible, including starting to make contact with the nearest wildlife park to make sure they did not have an escapee."

"As is standard practice when we are made aware of a potential threat to the public the use of firearms officers was considered as a contingency. In this case, they attended the area in support of the local community officers but they were not deployed nor required."

"We appreciate that it was a false call made with genuine good intent."

Source: BBC News | Comments (6)

Tags: Tiger, Toy

Comment icon #1 Posted by Piney on 6 February, 2018, 14:14
Comment icon #2 Posted by rashore on 6 February, 2018, 14:29
I can understand the farmers concern... but it does make me wonder who put the toy there and why did they pull this prank on this farmer.
Comment icon #3 Posted by OverSword on 6 February, 2018, 16:11
Comment icon #4 Posted by LightAngel on 7 February, 2018, 10:49
This is really funny to me because I have the same big toy tiger
Comment icon #5 Posted by BorizBadinov on 7 February, 2018, 15:40
Its obvious isn't it?
Comment icon #6 Posted by Brandy333 on 10 February, 2018, 1:12
I know this farmer's concern seeing what he thought was a real Tiger and the threat involved.  They are making these stuffed animals look more and more life-like.  Several years ago I bought a very real looking stuffed Possum from a restaurant, but my Great Pyrenees who guarded my goats took it as his own and would park it here and there.  Well one day my dad shot at it from a distance with a 22 rifle.   Thinking he'd shot something he told me to come and look.   About halfway there I had to laugh when saw it was that toy Possum. To that farmer it probably wasn't funny, but most likely it was ... [More]

Flying drone could launch to Mars in 2020
NASA scientists are considering whether or not to send their lightweight robotic helicopter drone to Mars.
Elongated skulls belonged to 'foreign' brides
Researchers have been unraveling the mystery of elongated skulls discovered in southern Germany.
Plane in Russia drops three tons of gold bars
Bars worth up to $368 million rained down after the aircraft suffered damage during takeoff on Thursday.
Court rejects man's claim that he is not dead
A Romanian court has formally rejected Constantin Reliu's claim that he is actually very much alive.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Michio Kaku on asteroid mining
Posted 3-13-2018 | 1 comment
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku discusses the possibility of mining asteroids in space.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA