Friday, April 27, 2018

Rare footage shows elusive Greenland shark

Posted on Thursday, 1 March, 2018 | Comment icon 9 comments

Greenland sharks can grow up to 4.8 meters long. Image Credit: YouTube / Brynn Devine
Two scientists have succeeded in recording very rare footage of the notoriously elusive Greenland shark.
One of the world's largest extant shark species, the Greenland shark, which as its name suggests can be found in the waters of the North Atlantic, is also one of the most mysterious and elusive.

Thought to live for hundreds of years, these denizens of the deep sea are rarely seen and even more rarely captured on camera in their natural habitat, making this new footage something special indeed.

It was recorded by researchers Brynn Devine and Jonathan Fisher from the Fisheries and Marine Institute of Memorial University of Newfoundland during a population distribution study.

Capturing the footage involved deploying cameras baited with squid over two consecutive summers.

The video below was filmed in the waters of Admiralty Inlet on northern Baffin Island, Canada.

Source: Dive Magazine | Comments (9)

Tags: Greenland Shark

Comment icon #1 Posted by Unfortunately on 1 March, 2018, 20:49
They're fascinating and beautiful creatures considering they're so elusive and can live for hundreds of years. I hope we can continue to admire them from a distance without damaging their way of life.
Comment icon #2 Posted by flabbins on 5 March, 2018, 12:45
I've seen lots of footage?
Comment icon #3 Posted by Unfortunately on 6 March, 2018, 7:25
I'm fairly sure the 'elusive' part is due to it having not been caught on film until 1995 (plus a further 15-20 years before one was filmed in the wild).
Comment icon #4 Posted by flabbins on 6 March, 2018, 12:50
Jeremy Wade caught one on River Monsters?
Comment icon #5 Posted by Unfortunately on 7 March, 2018, 9:21
I'm just going to assume you didn't read my post. Lol.
Comment icon #6 Posted by flabbins on 8 March, 2018, 12:48
I didn'twatch Jeremy Wade Live I'm pretty sure it was on some sort of media.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Unfortunately on 9 March, 2018, 8:04
Hmm. Why do I get the feeling this conversation doesn't appear to be working properly.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Kismit on 9 March, 2018, 8:41
Of all the sharks, this is my favorite.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Catamber on 12 March, 2018, 18:39
I did not even know that sharks are swimming in such cold waters

World's largest wind turbine to be 853ft tall
4-26-2018
The upcoming 12 megawatt wind power platform will be almost three times the height of the Statue of Liberty.
Star map update to feature 1.7 billion stars
4-26-2018
Astronomers from ESA's Gaia mission will tomorrow release the largest map of our galaxy ever created.
Fossil footprints hint at giant sloth chase
4-26-2018
New evidence has been discovered to suggest that our ancestors hunted down giant prehistoric sloths.
Was ancient 'hashtag' the first human symbol?
4-25-2018
Hashtag-like etchings found on a rock in South Africa's Blombos Cave are thought to be over 100,000 years old.
Could you survive a nuclear bomb ?
Posted 4-24-2018 | 0 comments
If someone dropped an atomic bomb on a city, what would be your chances of survival ?

What does space smell like ?
Posted 4-23-2018 | 0 comments
Does the vacuum of space actually smell of anything and if so, what ?

Why is US paper money green ?
Posted 4-22-2018 | 0 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why the color green was used when printing US bank notes.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA