Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Rare footage shows elusive Greenland shark

Posted on Thursday, 1 March, 2018 | Comment icon 9 comments

Greenland sharks can grow up to 4.8 meters long. Image Credit: YouTube / Brynn Devine
Two scientists have succeeded in recording very rare footage of the notoriously elusive Greenland shark.
One of the world's largest extant shark species, the Greenland shark, which as its name suggests can be found in the waters of the North Atlantic, is also one of the most mysterious and elusive.

Thought to live for hundreds of years, these denizens of the deep sea are rarely seen and even more rarely captured on camera in their natural habitat, making this new footage something special indeed.

It was recorded by researchers Brynn Devine and Jonathan Fisher from the Fisheries and Marine Institute of Memorial University of Newfoundland during a population distribution study.

Capturing the footage involved deploying cameras baited with squid over two consecutive summers.

The video below was filmed in the waters of Admiralty Inlet on northern Baffin Island, Canada.

Source: Dive Magazine | Comments (9)

Tags: Greenland Shark

Comment icon #1 Posted by Unfortunately on 1 March, 2018, 20:49
They're fascinating and beautiful creatures considering they're so elusive and can live for hundreds of years. I hope we can continue to admire them from a distance without damaging their way of life.
Comment icon #2 Posted by flabbins on 5 March, 2018, 12:45
I've seen lots of footage?
Comment icon #3 Posted by Unfortunately on 6 March, 2018, 7:25
I'm fairly sure the 'elusive' part is due to it having not been caught on film until 1995 (plus a further 15-20 years before one was filmed in the wild).
Comment icon #4 Posted by flabbins on 6 March, 2018, 12:50
Jeremy Wade caught one on River Monsters?
Comment icon #5 Posted by Unfortunately on 7 March, 2018, 9:21
I'm just going to assume you didn't read my post. Lol.
Comment icon #6 Posted by flabbins on 8 March, 2018, 12:48
I didn't watch Jeremy Wade Live I'm pretty sure it was on some sort of media.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Unfortunately on 9 March, 2018, 8:04
Hmm. Why do I get the feeling this conversation doesn't appear to be working properly.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Kismit on 9 March, 2018, 8:41
Of all the sharks, this is my favorite.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Catamber on 12 March, 2018, 18:39
I did not even know that sharks are swimming in such cold waters

NASA unveils new Artemis spacesuit prototypes
10-16-2019
Keen to meet its 2024 deadline for returning to the Moon, NASA has unveiled its first new spacesuits in 40 years.
Visiting interstellar comet is caught on camera
10-15-2019
Astronomers have revealed that comet 2I/Borisov is remarkably similar to comets from our own solar system.
Man traces pop star from her eye reflections
10-15-2019
A man has been arrested after using a disturbingly simple yet effective way to track down a pop star's home.
Revisited: Ronnie James Dio's UFO encounter
10-15-2019
The late heavy metal singer-songwriter had his own experience with a UFO at his house in New Canaan.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ