Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Lab-grown meat could go on sale by end of year

Posted on Sunday, 4 March, 2018 | Comment icon 35 comments

Would you eat meat that has been grown in a lab ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Alexbrn
'Clean meat' that has been grown in a laboratory could become available to buy within a matter of months.
The world's first lab-grown burger, which was developed by a team in the Netherlands and cost a whopping $325,000 to produce, was seen as a major milestone in the development of a new and sustainable food source that could help feed our planet's ever-growing population.

Now, a mere five years after this accomplishment, it looks as though lab-grown meat may soon become an actual viable, affordable alternative to traditional animal-based meats.

According to Josh Tetrick, CEO of clean meat manufacturer JUST, lab-grown meat products such as chicken nuggets and sausages could be available to order "before the end of 2018".

He predicts that restaurants in the US and Asia will be the first to offer the new products, however there are still regulatory issues that will need to be solved before this can happen.

Even animal charity PETA has been investing in lab-grown meat technology over the last few years.

"We believe it's the first important step toward realising the dream of one day putting environmentally sound, humanely produced real meat into the hands and mouths of the people who insist on eating animal flesh," the charity said in a statement.

Whether Tetrick's "end of 2018" prediction will come to fruition however remains to be seen.

Source: Independent | Comments (35)

Tags: Meat

Comment icon #26 Posted by Nzo on 5 March, 2018, 3:08
I wish them the greatest of good luck! I would love to be able to buy meat that is healthy and no sentient animal had to die for a meal. It is morally and ethically wrong in this day and age for people to raise animals and slaughter them when we don't need to for health reasons. Here is hoping I can have a lab grown burger one day soon.
Comment icon #27 Posted by mysticwerewolf on 5 March, 2018, 4:08
As a once professional cook I can say if there is no fat and no blood in the meat there is very little flavor. I don't care if it is grown on the farm, in a lab or in the depths of outer space as long as it tastes good and is filling. When it comes to food I only listen to my stomach. scientists have no say in the matter. I totally agree with the above statement, most of them don't know a potato from their left shoe.
Comment icon #28 Posted by moonman on 5 March, 2018, 19:42
I'll take this over killing an animal any day of the week, IF it tastes good. I mean, why wouldn't you want it? No disease, no killing, it doesn't come from something that rolls around in and eats it's own ****, it's a beautiful solution. IF it tastes good.
Comment icon #29 Posted by Piney on 6 March, 2018, 1:45
A lot of those bacteria and viruses in real meat are healthy ones that are needed for a healthy immune system and microbiom.
Comment icon #30 Posted by Bavarian Raven on 6 March, 2018, 2:08
Hopefully not. Animals are beneficial to having a well working / functioning / producing permaculture garden/farm. That being said, hopefully factory farming of animals is banned one day soon.
Comment icon #31 Posted by Hankenhunter on 6 March, 2018, 7:22
Why thats preposterous!! Who would eat a nice dog like a lab? Hmm... *puts on glasses* Oops, my bad. Ahem, on topic, I'm in the same camp as piney. Crossbow for all my meat with occasional visits to the butcher for local pork. I raise my own chickens and like others, l know where my food comes from. Cheers, Hank
Comment icon #32 Posted by Hawkin on 7 March, 2018, 5:42
That's for sure. There are ingredients in store bought foods that's cancer causing.
Comment icon #33 Posted by Captain Risky on 7 March, 2018, 9:08
i thinkit's vegetable based proteins and amino acids that make up the production of the crypto meat. so you're eating vegetables after all.
Comment icon #34 Posted by seanjo on 7 March, 2018, 12:57
I thought they kinda grew it from meat cells...
Comment icon #35 Posted by Jon the frog on 8 March, 2018, 1:31
You all know that the Chupacabra was created in a lab, so we will eat chupacabra meat soon ! For me, i will buy a couple of meat bearer animal to raise and eat them before the curfew.

New 'Noah's Ark' will store DNA of complex life
4-24-2018
The ambitious BioGenome Project aims to sequence and store the genomes of more than 1.5 million species.
Hubble Space Telescope has turned 28
4-24-2018
The world-famous telescope has been capturing images of the cosmos for the better part of three decades.
Children are as fit as endurance athletes
4-24-2018
A new study has revealed that the muscles of children resist fatigue in the same way as those of elite athletes.
Uranus smells like rotten eggs, say scientists
4-23-2018
Hydrogen sulfide, which gives rotten eggs their smell, has been discovered in the seventh planet's atmosphere.
Could you survive a nuclear bomb ?
Posted 4-24-2018 | 0 comments
If someone dropped an atomic bomb on a city, what would be your chances of survival ?

What does space smell like ?
Posted 4-23-2018 | 0 comments
Does the vacuum of space actually smell of anything and if so, what ?

Why is US paper money green ?
Posted 4-22-2018 | 0 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why the color green was used when printing US bank notes.

Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA