Friday, September 21, 2018

Captain Kirk books his name on trip to the Sun

Posted on Wednesday, 7 March, 2018 | Comment icon 11 comments

The probe will launch in July. Image Credit: Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
William Shatner is one of thousands of people whose names will soon be sent to the Sun on a memory card.
The names will be carried aboard NASA's $1.5 billion Parker Solar Probe which this year will embark on a groundbreaking new mission that will take it closer to the Sun than any other spacecraft before it.

Its name is a tribute to American solar astrophysicist Eugene Parker who originally predicted the existence of the solar wind, something that at the time was considered 'crazy' by his peers.

One of the things that the spacecraft will be investigating is the fact that, counter-intuitively, the temperature is actually much, much hotter in the Sun's atmosphere than on its surface.

Prior to the launch of the mission, NASA is offering the general public an opportunity to have their names sent up with the probe on a memory card by registering on its 'hot ticket' website.

Shatner, who famously played Captain Kirk in Star Trek, has been involved in promoting the project.

"The first-ever spacecraft to the Sun, NASA's Parker Solar Probe, will launch this year on a course to orbit through the heat of our star's corona, where temperatures are greater than 1 million degrees," he said in a recent video about the mission.

"The spacecraft will also carry my name to the Sun, and your name, and the names of everyone who wants to join this voyage of extreme exploration."

Those interested in having their name included can register - here.

Source: Space.com | Comments (11)

Tags: Parker Solar Probe, Sun

Comment icon #2 Posted by LV-426 on 7 March, 2018, 18:53
I was impressed when I got my name on an album sleeve. Have to say, you have me beat there
Comment icon #3 Posted by Almighty Evan on 7 March, 2018, 19:57
It's free to send your name through April 27, and FYI, I have done both. Actually discovered my name on the album sleeve, as my friend didn't tell me when he gave it to me.
Comment icon #4 Posted by LV-426 on 7 March, 2018, 20:00
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at that
Comment icon #5 Posted by Stiff on 7 March, 2018, 20:35
I'm gonna fill it in to send Kanye West. Wait... what? It's just the name? OK, scratch that.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 8 March, 2018, 9:05
NASA and the Japanese Space Agency, JAXA have done this before. The MAVEN spacecraft orbiting Mars contains a DVD with names... there are a quarter of a million of them. I've got a bit addicted to doing this. As well as the Parker Solar Probe, my name is currently on board the the Glory spacecraft orbiting Earth, LRO orbiting the moon, the Curiosity rover on Mars, the MAVEN spacecraft orbiting Mars, Akatsuki orbiting Venus, Hayabusa2 on it's way to the asteroid Ryugu, OSIRIS-REx on it's way to the asteroid Bennu, New Horizons, which has past Pluto. Later this year it will return to Mars on boa... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 8 March, 2018, 17:00
It seems I'm far from alone in this addiction. The chip on Mars InSight will carry 1.6 million names.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Merc14 on 8 March, 2018, 20:31
Thanks Waspie, my son can take his certificate to his science class tomorrow!
Comment icon #9 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 8 March, 2018, 21:28
I can't take credit for this thread, it was the doing of the mighty UM-Bot.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 21 May, 2018, 18:38
More Than 1.1 Million Names Installed on NASA’s Parker Solar Probe
Comment icon #11 Posted by bmk1245 on 21 May, 2018, 19:40
Way to go NASA! Kudos!

Mammoths could roam 'Ice Age Park' by 2028
9-21-2018
Scientists in Russia remain optimistic that the woolly mammoth can be resurrected within a decade.
Mars trip radiation exposure levels revealed
9-20-2018
Scientists have calculated the minimum level of radiation that an astronaut will be exposed to on a trip to Mars.
'Croydon cat killer' mystery has been solved
9-20-2018
Police in London have reached the end of their investigation in to the deaths of hundreds of pet cats.
Astronomers discover real-life planet Vulcan
9-20-2018
The new planet is located in the same star system as Spock's home world in the 'Star Trek' universe.
Treadmill fall in slow motion
Posted 9-17-2018 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys return with another bizarre slow-motion experiment.

Tricking your ears
Posted 9-9-2018 | 0 comments
A look at some intriguing audio illusions and at how the brain interprets sound.

The science of music
Posted 9-5-2018 | 0 comments
A look at why our brains become so hooked on particularly catchy songs.

Swimming with lemon sharks
Posted 8-28-2018 | 1 comment
Steve Backshall gets up close to a group of deadly lemon sharks.

Cousins explained
Posted 8-24-2018 | 4 comments
Exactly what is a third cousin twice removed ? Michael unravels the mystery.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas