Monday, December 10, 2018

Captain Kirk books his name on trip to the Sun

Posted on Wednesday, 7 March, 2018 | Comment icon 11 comments

The probe will launch in July. Image Credit: Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
William Shatner is one of thousands of people whose names will soon be sent to the Sun on a memory card.
The names will be carried aboard NASA's $1.5 billion Parker Solar Probe which this year will embark on a groundbreaking new mission that will take it closer to the Sun than any other spacecraft before it.

Its name is a tribute to American solar astrophysicist Eugene Parker who originally predicted the existence of the solar wind, something that at the time was considered 'crazy' by his peers.

One of the things that the spacecraft will be investigating is the fact that, counter-intuitively, the temperature is actually much, much hotter in the Sun's atmosphere than on its surface.

Prior to the launch of the mission, NASA is offering the general public an opportunity to have their names sent up with the probe on a memory card by registering on its 'hot ticket' website.

Shatner, who famously played Captain Kirk in Star Trek, has been involved in promoting the project.

"The first-ever spacecraft to the Sun, NASA's Parker Solar Probe, will launch this year on a course to orbit through the heat of our star's corona, where temperatures are greater than 1 million degrees," he said in a recent video about the mission.

"The spacecraft will also carry my name to the Sun, and your name, and the names of everyone who wants to join this voyage of extreme exploration."

Those interested in having their name included can register - here.

Source: Space.com | Comments (11)

Tags: Parker Solar Probe, Sun

Comment icon #2 Posted by LV-426 on 7 March, 2018, 18:53
I was impressed when I got my name on an album sleeve. Have to say, you have me beat there
Comment icon #3 Posted by Almighty Evan on 7 March, 2018, 19:57
It's free to send your name through April 27, and FYI, I have done both. Actually discovered my name on the album sleeve, as my friend didn't tell me when he gave it to me.
Comment icon #4 Posted by LV-426 on 7 March, 2018, 20:00
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at that
Comment icon #5 Posted by Stiff on 7 March, 2018, 20:35
I'm gonna fill it in to send Kanye West. Wait... what? It's just the name? OK, scratch that.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 8 March, 2018, 9:05
NASA and the Japanese Space Agency, JAXA have done this before. The MAVEN spacecraft orbiting Mars contains a DVD with names... there are a quarter of a million of them. I've got a bit addicted to doing this. As well as the Parker Solar Probe, my name is currently on board the the Glory spacecraft orbiting Earth, LRO orbiting the moon, the Curiosity rover on Mars, the MAVEN spacecraft orbiting Mars, Akatsuki orbiting Venus, Hayabusa2 on it's way to the asteroid Ryugu, OSIRIS-REx on it's way to the asteroid Bennu, New Horizons, which has past Pluto. Later this year it will return to Mars on boa... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 8 March, 2018, 17:00
It seems I'm far from alone in this addiction. The chip on Mars InSight will carry 1.6 million names.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Merc14 on 8 March, 2018, 20:31
Thanks Waspie, my son can take his certificate to his science class tomorrow!
Comment icon #9 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 8 March, 2018, 21:28
I can't take credit for this thread, it was the doing of the mighty UM-Bot.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 21 May, 2018, 18:38
More Than 1.1 Million Names Installed on NASA’s Parker Solar Probe
Comment icon #11 Posted by bmk1245 on 21 May, 2018, 19:40
Way to go NASA! Kudos!

1,000mph supersonic car project has been axed
12-9-2018
The highly ambitious Bloodhound SSC has now gone up for sale following a spate of financial difficulties.
'Giant squirrel' claim turns out to be a mistake
12-9-2018
A photograph of an eastern fox squirrel alleged to be a whopping 2ft tall has been raising eyebrows recently.
Eerie lights spotted over North Carolina coast
12-9-2018
An Outer Banks fisherman recently captured footage of some mysterious lights hovering over the ocean.
'Swamp monster' mystery solved in Florida
12-8-2018
A mysterious salamander known as the leopard eel has finally been formally recognized as a new species.
Rainbow jelly tennis
Posted 12-3-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another ridiculous slow motion experiment involving jelly.

Progress launch timelapse
Posted 11-24-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the recent launch of the Russian Progress MS-10 cargo spacecraft.

The unique wildlife of the Cairngorms
Posted 11-16-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the breathtaking snowy wilds of Scotland's Cairngorm Mountains.

The last reef of the Galapagos
Posted 11-12-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the enigmatic world that lies beneath the ocean off the Galapagos Islands.

Morse code
Posted 11-7-2018 | 4 comments
Michael takes a look at an obsolete messaging system that uses dots and dashes.

My name is whispered

Orange, hovering, atom-like figure
10-25-2018 | West kelowna

I saw a strange man
10-25-2018 | Croatia

Spontaneous exorcisms
10-25-2018 | Canada

Two children who didn't age
10-24-2018 | United States New York