Friday, April 27, 2018

Captain Kirk books his name on trip to the Sun

Posted on Wednesday, 7 March, 2018 | Comment icon 10 comments

The probe will launch in July. Image Credit: Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
William Shatner is one of thousands of people whose names will soon be sent to the Sun on a memory card.
The names will be carried aboard NASA's $1.5 billion Parker Solar Probe which this year will embark on a groundbreaking new mission that will take it closer to the Sun than any other spacecraft before it.

Its name is a tribute to American solar astrophysicist Eugene Parker who originally predicted the existence of the solar wind, something that at the time was considered 'crazy' by his peers.

One of the things that the spacecraft will be investigating is the fact that, counter-intuitively, the temperature is actually much, much hotter in the Sun's atmosphere than on its surface.

Prior to the launch of the mission, NASA is offering the general public an opportunity to have their names sent up with the probe on a memory card by registering on its 'hot ticket' website.

Shatner, who famously played Captain Kirk in Star Trek, has been involved in promoting the project.

"The first-ever spacecraft to the Sun, NASA's Parker Solar Probe, will launch this year on a course to orbit through the heat of our star's corona, where temperatures are greater than 1 million degrees," he said in a recent video about the mission.

"The spacecraft will also carry my name to the Sun, and your name, and the names of everyone who wants to join this voyage of extreme exploration."

Those interested in having their name included can register - here.

Source: Space.com | Comments (10)

Tags: Parker Solar Probe, Sun

Comment icon #1 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 7 March, 2018, 18:48
Including mine
Comment icon #2 Posted by LV-426 on 7 March, 2018, 18:53
I was impressed when I got my name on an album sleeve. Have to say, you have me beat there
Comment icon #3 Posted by Almighty Evan on 7 March, 2018, 19:57
It's free to send your name through April 27, and FYI, I have done both. Actually discovered my name on the album sleeve, as my friend didn't tell me when he gave it to me.
Comment icon #4 Posted by LV-426 on 7 March, 2018, 20:00
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at that
Comment icon #5 Posted by Stiff on 7 March, 2018, 20:35
I'm gonna fill it in to send Kanye West. Wait... what? It's just the name? OK, scratch that.
Comment icon #6 Posted by goodgodno on 7 March, 2018, 22:56
Just did it and realised there are probably a thousand people with the same name doing the same :S
Comment icon #7 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 8 March, 2018, 9:05
NASA and the Japanese Space Agency, JAXA have done this before. The MAVEN spacecraft orbiting Mars contains a DVD with names... there are a quarter of a million of them. I've got a bit addicted to doing this. As well as the Parker Solar Probe, my name is currently on board the the Glory spacecraft orbiting Earth, LRO orbiting the moon, the Curiosity rover on Mars, the MAVEN spacecraft orbiting Mars, Akatsuki orbiting Venus, Hayabusa2 on it's way to the asteroid Ryugu, OSIRIS-REx on it's way to the asteroid Bennu, New Horizons, which has past Pluto. Later this year it will return to Mars on boa... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 8 March, 2018, 17:00
It seems I'm far from alone in this addiction. The chip on Mars InSight will carry 1.6 million names.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Merc14 on 8 March, 2018, 20:31
Thanks Waspie, my son can take his certificate to his science class tomorrow!
Comment icon #10 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 8 March, 2018, 21:28
I can't take credit for this thread, it was the doing of the mighty UM-Bot.

World's largest wind turbine to be 853ft tall
4-26-2018
The upcoming 12 megawatt wind power platform will be almost three times the height of the Statue of Liberty.
Star map update to feature 1.7 billion stars
4-26-2018
Astronomers from ESA's Gaia mission will tomorrow release the largest map of our galaxy ever created.
Fossil footprints hint at giant sloth chase
4-26-2018
New evidence has been discovered to suggest that our ancestors hunted down giant prehistoric sloths.
Was ancient 'hashtag' the first human symbol?
4-25-2018
Hashtag-like etchings found on a rock in South Africa's Blombos Cave are thought to be over 100,000 years old.
Could you survive a nuclear bomb ?
Posted 4-24-2018 | 0 comments
If someone dropped an atomic bomb on a city, what would be your chances of survival ?

What does space smell like ?
Posted 4-23-2018 | 0 comments
Does the vacuum of space actually smell of anything and if so, what ?

Why is US paper money green ?
Posted 4-22-2018 | 0 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why the color green was used when printing US bank notes.

Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA