Friday, September 24, 2021

Captain Kirk books his name on trip to the Sun

Posted on Wednesday, 7 March, 2018 | Comment icon 11 comments

The probe will launch in July. Image Credit: Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
William Shatner is one of thousands of people whose names will soon be sent to the Sun on a memory card.
The names will be carried aboard NASA's $1.5 billion Parker Solar Probe which this year will embark on a groundbreaking new mission that will take it closer to the Sun than any other spacecraft before it.

Its name is a tribute to American solar astrophysicist Eugene Parker who originally predicted the existence of the solar wind, something that at the time was considered 'crazy' by his peers.

One of the things that the spacecraft will be investigating is the fact that, counter-intuitively, the temperature is actually much, much hotter in the Sun's atmosphere than on its surface.

Prior to the launch of the mission, NASA is offering the general public an opportunity to have their names sent up with the probe on a memory card by registering on its 'hot ticket' website.
Shatner, who famously played Captain Kirk in Star Trek, has been involved in promoting the project.

"The first-ever spacecraft to the Sun, NASA's Parker Solar Probe, will launch this year on a course to orbit through the heat of our star's corona, where temperatures are greater than 1 million degrees," he said in a recent video about the mission.

"The spacecraft will also carry my name to the Sun, and your name, and the names of everyone who wants to join this voyage of extreme exploration."

Those interested in having their name included can register - here.

Source: Space.com | Comments (11)

Tags: Parker Solar Probe, Sun

Comment icon #2 Posted by LV-426 on 7 March, 2018, 18:53
I was impressed when I got my name on an album sleeve. Have to say, you have me beat there
Comment icon #3 Posted by Almighty Evan on 7 March, 2018, 19:57
It's free to send your name through April 27, and FYI, I have done both. Actually discovered my name on the album sleeve, as my friend didn't tell me when he gave it to me.
Comment icon #4 Posted by LV-426 on 7 March, 2018, 20:00
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at that
Comment icon #5 Posted by Stiff on 7 March, 2018, 20:35
I'm gonna fill it in to send Kanye West. Wait... what? It's just the name? OK, scratch that.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 8 March, 2018, 9:05
NASA and the Japanese Space Agency, JAXA have done this before. The MAVEN spacecraft orbiting Mars contains a DVD with names... there are a quarter of a million of them. I've got a bit addicted to doing this. As well as the Parker Solar Probe, my name is currently on board the the Glory spacecraft orbiting Earth, LRO orbiting the moon, the Curiosity rover on Mars, the MAVEN spacecraft orbiting Mars, Akatsuki orbiting Venus, Hayabusa2 on it's way to the asteroid Ryugu, OSIRIS-REx on it's way to the asteroid Bennu, New Horizons, which has past Pluto. Later this year it will return to Mars on boa... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 8 March, 2018, 17:00
It seems I'm far from alone in this addiction. The chip on Mars InSight will carry 1.6 million names.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Merc14 on 8 March, 2018, 20:31
Thanks Waspie, my son can take his certificate to his science class tomorrow!
Comment icon #9 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 8 March, 2018, 21:28
I can't take credit for this thread, it was the doing of the mighty UM-Bot.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 21 May, 2018, 18:38
More Than 1.1 Million Names Installed on NASA’s Parker Solar Probe
Comment icon #11 Posted by bmk1245 on 21 May, 2018, 19:40
Way to go NASA! Kudos!

Real-life 'Conjuring' house is up for sale again
9-24-2021
The current owners, who purchased the infamous property back in 2019, are already looking to sell up.
'Loch Ness Monster' captured on drone footage
9-24-2021
A canoeist who had been visiting Scotland's famous loch recently filmed something unusual near the shoreline.
CIA team reports Havana Syndrome symptoms
9-23-2021
One of CIA Director Bill Burns's team members was inexplicably targeted during a recent trip to India.
Tyrannosaurus rex wagged its tail when running
9-23-2021
Even the fiercest dinosaurs may have wagged their tails back and forth when running and walking.
Mystery 'troll' captured on camera
4-24-2021 | Marsta, Sweden

My Grandfather's NDE
4-24-2021 | Oakland, California

The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball