Saturday, December 7, 2019

'Bizarre' squid seen alive for the first time

Posted on Sunday, 22 April, 2018 | Comment icon 7 comments

The squid was filmed swimming around upside-down. Image Credit: NOAA Okeanos Explorer Program
The NOAA's Okeanos Explorer vessel filmed this extraordinary cephalopod during a recent expedition.
Described by one marine biologist as "probably the most bizarre squid I've ever seen", the remarkable deep red squid was spotted by a submarine thousands of feet below the western Gulf of Mexico.

With its distinctive hue and strange, upside-down posture, the creature is certainly unusual.
"You get a lot of octopuses that are sitting on the ground and being adorable," said biologist Sarah McAnulty. "This one looks more like a vampire squid in color, but then it has this completely bizarre body pattern that just totally bowled me over. It almost looks like a nautilus in the way it's swimming."

It is thought that the squid could be Discoteuthis discus, a species that has never been seen alive before. Positively identifying it as such however has proven to be quite challenging.

"My first reaction was, 'What in the hell was that?'" said NOAA biologist Mike Vecchione. "It didn't look like any squid I had seen, until we started getting close and the animal started rotating around."

Source: National Geographic | Comments (7)

Tags: Squid

Comment icon #1 Posted by AstralHorus on 21 April, 2018, 16:36
thanks for sharing!
Comment icon #2 Posted by Vox on 22 April, 2018, 12:04
Amazing. †More of an effort has to be done to chart and catalogue our ocean floor. †Whilst itís welcome that the likes of Elon Musk are pushing the space race along, I canít wait to see a similar initiative/race to explore our ocean depths. †Imagine what wonders we can still uncover in our world. - Vox
Comment icon #3 Posted by DirtyDocMartens on 22 April, 2018, 15:10
I wonder if that's its regular posture, or a reaction to the lights.
Comment icon #4 Posted by cathya on 22 April, 2018, 16:03
I think it's kind of pretty. Nice color, very graceful
Comment icon #5 Posted by Jon the frog on 22 April, 2018, 22:03
Wow,don'T know if they have some color changing abilities !
Comment icon #6 Posted by Grignr on 9 May, 2018, 12:09
Is it me or does it look like its disguising itself as a Nautilus or something similar? †
Comment icon #7 Posted by Katniss on 10 May, 2018, 20:00
That's so cool! Love it!

'Bigfoot chases car' video emerges in Russia
12-6-2019
Footage showing a car being pursued by an unknown creature has been doing the rounds on social media.
Banana duct-taped to a wall sells for $120,000
12-6-2019
Modern art connoisseurs have taken to a rather tongue-in-cheek exhibit at a Miami Beach art festival this week.
Quantum physicist describes alien encounter
12-6-2019
Quantum computing expert Deep Prasad has come forward with a rather extraordinary story.
Planet found orbiting white dwarf in world first
12-5-2019
Astronomers have discovered a huge planet orbiting the burnt-out husk of a star that was once like the Sun.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia