Monday, May 28, 2018

Armored truck spills $600,000 on to highway

Posted on Sunday, 6 May, 2018 | Comment icon 14 comments

The accident caused chaos on Interstate 70. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Famartin
Stunned motorists discovered banknotes strewn across Interstate 70 in Indianapolis on Wednesday morning.
According to reports, the driver of the truck that was transporting the money only became aware that the back doors had swung open when another motorist gestured towards the rear of the vehicle.

In total, around $600,000 worth of notes ended up distributed across the highway, prompting opportunistic motorists to stop their cars and run out in to the road to try and collect them.

Police officers are now seeking a school bus driver who succeeded in making off with a large pile of notes and four men who bundled several bags of money in to their pick-up truck.

"Bags of money were falling out of the back onto the interstate," said Indiana State Police Corporal Brock McCooe. "Sort of something out of a movie scene, where you have bills, loose bills flying all over the interstate, vehicles stopping, people getting out of their cars."

"I guess it's not every day you see thousands of dollars just floating around on the interstate during your morning commute."

Source: Sky News | Comments (14)

Tags: Money

Comment icon #5 Posted by ChaosRose on 6 May, 2018, 17:35
The money is insured. They should just take the loss and fix the doors. I don't think they're getting any of that back.
Comment icon #6 Posted by ChaosRose on 6 May, 2018, 17:37
I'm not even closed to the idea of it being divine intervention on the part of the school bus driver. They don't get paid much, I think.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Grandpa Greenman on 6 May, 2018, 19:46
A Brinks truck wrecked on the main drag in my town a while back. The sheriffsent in a chopper and money wenteverywhere. They didn'tfind verymuch of it.That was almost as good as when all the pot bales washed up on the beach.
Comment icon #8 Posted by pallidin on 6 May, 2018, 20:01
Gift from Heaven, I say.
Comment icon #9 Posted by pallidin on 6 May, 2018, 20:04
I believe and effort towardshonesty, but I would not charge a single person with theft if I were on a jury.
Comment icon #10 Posted by pallidin on 6 May, 2018, 20:16
Abject financial distress can lead perfectly sound, law abiding individuals to see this as a "no harm" opportunity to enhance their otherwise impoverishedlife. It is illegal, of course, but I would not charge anyone. I think the authorities recognized this, because they have granted legal amnesty to anyone turning in the monies.
Comment icon #11 Posted by freetoroam on 6 May, 2018, 20:41
Oh boy how i wish i had been in the right place at the right time!!!
Comment icon #12 Posted by pallidin on 6 May, 2018, 22:47
Yeah, I would have picked-up a couple sacks of cash, kept going, and murmuring "thank you God" And actually bring a decent dinner home to my family, and new school clothes for our children.
Comment icon #13 Posted by brlesq1 on 7 May, 2018, 3:04
Would I give it back? Probably not...
Comment icon #14 Posted by JMPD1 on 13 May, 2018, 16:32
Why the authorities should be looking for these fortunate motorists is a mystery to me. It seems they did nothing illegal. Contrary to what people are taught, although it is a "nice" thing to return found property, it is in no way a legal obligation to do so.

6191065

Richard Branson to visit space 'within months'
5-27-2018
The Virgin Galactic founder is aiming to be a passenger aboard the first commercial launch of SpaceShipTwo.
Have Cuban 'sonic attacks' spread to China ?
5-27-2018
A US government employee working in the city of Guangzhou has reportedly experienced similar symptoms.
Pentagon releases new report on 'Tic-Tac UFO'
5-27-2018
The document goes in to more detail about a strange object that was pursued by two fighter jets back in 2004.
Tiny frog has a poisonous inflatable backside
5-26-2018
South America's Cuyaba dwarf frog has a rather unique way of dissuading predators from eating it for lunch.
The Galton Board
Posted 5-25-2018 | 0 comments
How do the balls in a Galton Board end up forming a seemingly pre-determined pattern?

Can an artificial intelligence really think ?
Posted 5-22-2018 | 9 comments
AI computer systems may be intelligent, but can they ever be truly self-aware ?

Where are all the B batteries ?
Posted 5-20-2018 | 3 comments
Batteries such as AA and AAA are common, but where are all the other letters ?

Meerkats caught in a dust storm
Posted 5-15-2018 | 1 comment
This group of meerkats in the Kalahari desert must split up to hide and survive the storm.

10 times Michio Kaku blew our minds
Posted 5-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at some of theoretical physicist Michio Kaku's most mind-bending arguments.

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA