Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Woman has cockroach in her ear for nine days

Posted on Sunday, 6 May, 2018 | Comment icon 11 comments

Cockroaches can turn up in the worst of places. Image Credit: Samantha Villagran / sxc.hu
Her nightmarish experience began when the inquisitive insect crawled in to her ear while she was asleep in bed.
Katie Holley and her husband Jordan had already been plagued by cockroaches in their new home in Melbourne, Florida for several months before the incident occurred.

Neither of them could have ever predicted that one of the insects would end up inside Katie's ear.

Rushing to the bathroom, she attempted to dislodge the critter with a cotton swab. When that failed to work, the couple drove to the nearest emergency room to seek medical assistance.

Katie was taken in to a room where a nurse used the anaesthetic lidocaine to kill the cockroach. A doctor then extracted the remains of the insect and she was sent home with antibiotics.

All too soon however, it became clear that something was still amiss.

Several days later, Katie attended an appointment with her doctor who flushed out her ear four times and made her an appointment with an ear, nose and throat specialist (ENT) to take a closer look.

Incredibly, the specialist found an entire adult cockroach still wedged deep inside her ear canal.

By the time it was removed, the creature had been in there for nine days.

"I was furious," said Katie. "I was really disappointed with the ER for not having seen that, for letting me believe it was all out."

Keen to avoid a repeat scenario, the couple have since bought earplugs to wear in bed.

So far, at least, they seem to have done the trick.

Source: Independent | Comments (11)

Tags: Cockroach

Comment icon #2 Posted by pallidin on 6 May, 2018, 19:47
First there were bed-bugs. That'sit. I cant take it anymore... I'mplacing roach traps next to my ears whilst sleeping.
Comment icon #3 Posted by pallidin on 6 May, 2018, 19:50
And my doc said I was experiencing auditory hallucinations, and prescribed meds. Little did he know a roach symphony was practicing in my ear.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Eldorado on 6 May, 2018, 21:45
Does it still bug you?
Comment icon #5 Posted by brlesq1 on 7 May, 2018, 3:01
I lived in New Orleans for several years. Everybody has roaches there, even the hoity-toity places. Can't get away from them. Roaches crawling into ears at night was a fairly common occurrence. It made the newspaper, the Times-Picayune,when one little girl had roaches in BOTH ears.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Skulduggery on 7 May, 2018, 7:48
I see giant roach beasts every day of the year in FL (usually flying around outside, rarely inside) but never had one go in my ear. When I was a kid, a neighbor lady talked about it happening to her, though (going in the ear and getting stuck, etc). This just makes me want to cover my ears while I sleep. Ugh.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Jon the frog on 7 May, 2018, 13:33
They need more wolfspiders in their home ! They eat a lot of them. Gecko are really good for this too and they are cute. If you see a predator in your house, it's because they found food. If you kill the spider, just think about the 20critters or so they eat for you each week who will become your permanent resident...and all their kids too !
Comment icon #8 Posted by paperdyer on 7 May, 2018, 15:59
Roaches can be very hard to get rid of. When I lived in Reading, PA, shortly after I got married, some of the German brown roaches got in thru the grocery bags or boxes. After a few weeks of spraying Raid, which the German Roaches laughed at, I called an exterminator. We had to have the whole house fumigated. After that with the monthly spraying, never another one showed. Now every time it rains in Charlotte, one or two come in the bathroom thru the sewer pipes trying to get dry. And boy do they grow big down here! The exterminator is due soon. Time to spray with better stuff than I can b... [More]
Comment icon #9 Posted by Mumbo Gumbo on 13 May, 2018, 9:56
Don't spiders bite people though?
Comment icon #10 Posted by Jon the frog on 14 May, 2018, 17:19
Nope...
Comment icon #11 Posted by Katniss on 14 May, 2018, 20:18
Eew! Makes me want to put earplugs in my ear now when I sleep. Couldn't hurt.

'Bugpocalypse' sees major decline in insects
10-16-2018
A worrying new study has highlighted the catastrophic effects of global warming on insect populations.
Future of 1,000mph supersonic car in doubt
10-15-2018
An attempt to build the first car capable of exceeding 1,000mph has hit a major financial roadblock.
Robot gets field-tested at construction sites
10-15-2018
A recently released video shows Boston Dynamics' Spot robot climbing stairs and walking over platforms.
U-boat wreck is dubbed 'underwater Chernobyl'
10-15-2018
With its 60-ton cargo of mercury, the wreckage of U-864 is an environmental disaster waiting to happen.
How does fluid 'climb' up a rod ?
Posted 10-16-2018 | 1 comment
Physics Girl checks out a remarkable effect achievable with non-newtonian fluids.

Tense stand off with an elephant
Posted 10-10-2018 | 2 comments
A BBC film crew ends up face to face with a potentially hostile Indian elephant.

Free solo climbing in 360 degrees
Posted 10-5-2018 | 3 comments
Alex Honnold climbs up Yosemite's famous El Capitan with no equipment whatsoever.

An astronaut's guide to risk taking
Posted 10-1-2018 | 0 comments
Veteran NASA astronaut Chris Hadfield talks about his views on taking risks.

The man who climbed Everest 21 times
Posted 9-27-2018 | 0 comments
Apa Sherpa holds the world record for the most ascents of the world's tallest mountain.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas