Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Man begins epic attempt to swim the Pacific

Posted on Wednesday, 6 June, 2018 | Comment icon 14 comments

Can Lecomte make it across the Pacific ? Image Credit: Ben Lecomte / Kickstarter
French long distance swimmer Ben Lecomte has set off in a bid to become the first person ever to swim the Pacific.
The 50-year-old, who swam across the Atlantic back in 1998, has set off from Japan in an attempt to swim a staggering 9,100 km across the Pacific over the course of the next six months.

He will consume 8,000 calories and swim for around 8 hours every single day. A support vessel - the Discoverer - will accompany him on his journey and provide a safe place for him to sleep.

"I am very anxious to start right now," he said before setting off. "I am not an Olympic swimmer, but I am an adventurer in the way that I push my limits."

During his journey, Lecomte hopes to raise awareness for plastic pollution and will be swimming directly through an area of the ocean known as the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

"Pollution of the ocean has a big impact," he said. "When I was little and I was with my father walking on the beach, I didn't see any plastic, or hardly any. Now every time I go with my kids, we see plastic everywhere. It made me think what (the) future for my kids is going to be like."

"It's a problem we created and there is a very easy solution to start reversing it - single-use plastics for example, if we stop using them that will make a big change."

Source: Japan Times | Comments (14)

Tags: Swimming, Pacific, Ben Lecomte

Comment icon #5 Posted by Vlad the Mighty on 6 June, 2018, 15:02
Idiot.
Comment icon #6 Posted by spud the mackem on 6 June, 2018, 15:28
Suicide by Shark
Comment icon #7 Posted by paperdyer on 6 June, 2018, 17:06
I do wish him luck.  He's 20 years older than when he swam the Atlantic Ocean.  I hope his safety crew don't take any chances with his health and have lots of shark repellant around , or friendly school  of dolphins for protection.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Skulduggery on 6 June, 2018, 17:09
Oh good. There is a support vessel. So, he isn't doing this all alone then. This way, he's still swimming across the ocean, but with the luxury of sleep and food and rescue. Even so, it doesn't sound like an easy thing to accomplish at all. And, those sharks, man! The Pacific is teeming with those things. That is a really long distance. Makes the Atlantic look like nothing.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Carlos Allende on 6 June, 2018, 18:46
I've begun an epic attempt to watch The Pacific _the HBO show_?
Comment icon #10 Posted by MisterMan on 7 June, 2018, 0:17
I wish him the best.  But "age 50" and "the Pacific" don't combine to fill me with confidence.  Crossing fingers.
Comment icon #11 Posted by pallidin on 7 June, 2018, 0:40
I read that he wears some type of electromagnetic device that "confuses" sharks.
Comment icon #12 Posted by pallidin on 7 June, 2018, 0:44
Yeah, good for him! What an adventure! He's already done it in the Atlantic, and has a support team and rest vessel for this as well. If he pulls this off, what's next? Around the world?
Comment icon #13 Posted by Wes83 on 12 June, 2018, 17:44
Lol thats great, confusion causing never makes anything curious or angry.
Comment icon #14 Posted by ~Onyx~ on 13 June, 2018, 2:30
Hope he makes it in one piece.

Eels 'hyperactive' due to cocaine in the Thames
1-22-2019
According to a report, excessive drug use in London may be having an adverse effect on some of the local wildlife.
Steam-powered space probe could work forever
1-22-2019
Scientists have developed a prototype for a steam-powered spacecraft that can refuel itself with water.
Frog travels 8,000 miles in woman's suitcase
1-22-2019
One holidaymaker got more than she bargained for recently after returning from a trip to South Africa.
Ancient shark species named after video game
1-21-2019
A newly discovered species of prehistoric shark has been assigned a name based on the shape of its teeth.
Round Earth vs flat Earth
Posted 1-18-2019 | 4 comments
Why do some people believe that the Earth is as flat as a pancake?

Which is correct - math or maths ?
Posted 1-10-2019 | 2 comments
For years, there has been some confusion over the shorthand of the word 'mathematics'.

How fast does glass crack ?
Posted 12-31-2018 | 5 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment in their back yard.

The most mind-blowing space discoveries
Posted 12-28-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at some of mankind's greatest space-related discoveries.

The origins of Christmas
Posted 12-22-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at the origins of several modern Christmas traditions.

Johannesburg Men in Black