Friday, June 22, 2018

Man begins epic attempt to swim the Pacific

Posted on Wednesday, 6 June, 2018 | Comment icon 14 comments

Can Lecomte make it across the Pacific ? Image Credit: Ben Lecomte / Kickstarter
French long distance swimmer Ben Lecomte has set off in a bid to become the first person ever to swim the Pacific.
The 50-year-old, who swam across the Atlantic back in 1998, has set off from Japan in an attempt to swim a staggering 9,100 km across the Pacific over the course of the next six months.

He will consume 8,000 calories and swim for around 8 hours every single day. A support vessel - the Discoverer - will accompany him on his journey and provide a safe place for him to sleep.

"I am very anxious to start right now," he said before setting off. "I am not an Olympic swimmer, but I am an adventurer in the way that I push my limits."

During his journey, Lecomte hopes to raise awareness for plastic pollution and will be swimming directly through an area of the ocean known as the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

"Pollution of the ocean has a big impact," he said. "When I was little and I was with my father walking on the beach, I didn't see any plastic, or hardly any. Now every time I go with my kids, we see plastic everywhere. It made me think what (the) future for my kids is going to be like."

"It's a problem we created and there is a very easy solution to start reversing it - single-use plastics for example, if we stop using them that will make a big change."

Source: Japan Times | Comments (14)

Tags: Swimming, Pacific, Ben Lecomte

Comment icon #5 Posted by Vlad the Mighty on 6 June, 2018, 15:02
Idiot.
Comment icon #6 Posted by spud the mackem on 6 June, 2018, 15:28
Suicide by Shark
Comment icon #7 Posted by paperdyer on 6 June, 2018, 17:06
I do wish him luck. He's 20 years older than when he swam the Atlantic Ocean. I hope his safety crew don't take any chances with his health and have lots of shark repellant around , or friendly school of dolphins for protection.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Skulduggery on 6 June, 2018, 17:09
Oh good. There is a support vessel. So, he isn't doing this all alone then. This way, he's still swimming across the ocean, but with the luxury of sleep and food and rescue.Even so, it doesn't sound like an easy thing to accomplish at all. And, those sharks, man! The Pacific is teeming with those things. That is a really long distance. Makes the Atlantic look like nothing.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Carlos Allende on 6 June, 2018, 18:46
I've begun an epic attempt to watch The Pacific _the HBO show_?
Comment icon #10 Posted by MisterMan on 7 June, 2018, 0:17
I wish him the best. But "age 50" and "the Pacific" don't combine to fill me with confidence. Crossing fingers.
Comment icon #11 Posted by pallidin on 7 June, 2018, 0:40
I read that he wearssome type of electromagnetic device that "confuses" sharks.
Comment icon #12 Posted by pallidin on 7 June, 2018, 0:44
Yeah, good for him! What an adventure! He's already done it in the Atlantic, and has a support team and rest vessel for this as well. If he pulls this off, what's next? Around the world?
Comment icon #13 Posted by Wes83 on 12 June, 2018, 17:44
Lol thats great, confusion causing never makes anything curious or angry.
Comment icon #14 Posted by ~Onyx~ on 13 June, 2018, 2:30
Hope he makes it in one piece.

NASA reveals its new asteroid protection plan
6-21-2018
A new 18-page document outlines how NASA and FEMA will approach the threat of an apocalyptic asteroid strike.
Tyrannosaurus rex couldn't stick out its tongue
6-21-2018
Researchers have revealed that the terrifying therapod had a tongue that was anchored to its mouth.
Could intelligent aliens move entire stars ?
6-20-2018
A new theory suggests that an intelligent alien civilization may try to collect and store stars for energy.
Ancient fossil yields oldest ever panda DNA
6-20-2018
Researchers have identified a long-lost panda relative from DNA that was retrieved from an ancient jaw bone.
Hermit crab finds a new home
Posted 6-18-2018 | 1 comment
Hermit crabs on this tropical island have been experiencing something of a housing shortage.

Throwing water at -52 below zero
Posted 6-10-2018 | 1 comment
What happens when you throw hot water in to the air in extreme freezing temperatures ?

Man was bitten by snakes 200 times
Posted 6-6-2018 | 0 comments
Despite being bitten so many times, 'snakeman' Bill Haast lived to be over 100 years old.

Catching an octopus
Posted 6-4-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson goes in search of an octopus in the tidal pools of South Africa.

The mystery of Tic-Tac bouncing
Posted 5-29-2018 | 0 comments
How is it that Tic-Tacs can bounce higher on the second bounce than on the first ?

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA