Sunday, October 21, 2018

Man begins epic attempt to swim the Pacific

Posted on Wednesday, 6 June, 2018 | Comment icon 14 comments

Can Lecomte make it across the Pacific ? Image Credit: Ben Lecomte / Kickstarter
French long distance swimmer Ben Lecomte has set off in a bid to become the first person ever to swim the Pacific.
The 50-year-old, who swam across the Atlantic back in 1998, has set off from Japan in an attempt to swim a staggering 9,100 km across the Pacific over the course of the next six months.

He will consume 8,000 calories and swim for around 8 hours every single day. A support vessel - the Discoverer - will accompany him on his journey and provide a safe place for him to sleep.

"I am very anxious to start right now," he said before setting off. "I am not an Olympic swimmer, but I am an adventurer in the way that I push my limits."

During his journey, Lecomte hopes to raise awareness for plastic pollution and will be swimming directly through an area of the ocean known as the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

"Pollution of the ocean has a big impact," he said. "When I was little and I was with my father walking on the beach, I didn't see any plastic, or hardly any. Now every time I go with my kids, we see plastic everywhere. It made me think what (the) future for my kids is going to be like."

"It's a problem we created and there is a very easy solution to start reversing it - single-use plastics for example, if we stop using them that will make a big change."

Source: Japan Times | Comments (14)

Tags: Swimming, Pacific, Ben Lecomte

Comment icon #5 Posted by Vlad the Mighty on 6 June, 2018, 15:02
Idiot.
Comment icon #6 Posted by spud the mackem on 6 June, 2018, 15:28
Suicide by Shark
Comment icon #7 Posted by paperdyer on 6 June, 2018, 17:06
I do wish him luck. He's 20 years older than when he swam the Atlantic Ocean. I hope his safety crew don't take any chances with his health and have lots of shark repellant around , or friendly school of dolphins for protection.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Skulduggery on 6 June, 2018, 17:09
Oh good. There is a support vessel. So, he isn't doing this all alone then. This way, he's still swimming across the ocean, but with the luxury of sleep and food and rescue.Even so, it doesn't sound like an easy thing to accomplish at all. And, those sharks, man! The Pacific is teeming with those things. That is a really long distance. Makes the Atlantic look like nothing.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Carlos Allende on 6 June, 2018, 18:46
I've begun an epic attempt to watch The Pacific _the HBO show_?
Comment icon #10 Posted by MisterMan on 7 June, 2018, 0:17
I wish him the best. But "age 50" and "the Pacific" don't combine to fill me with confidence. Crossing fingers.
Comment icon #11 Posted by pallidin on 7 June, 2018, 0:40
I read that he wearssome type of electromagnetic device that "confuses" sharks.
Comment icon #12 Posted by pallidin on 7 June, 2018, 0:44
Yeah, good for him! What an adventure! He's already done it in the Atlantic, and has a support team and rest vessel for this as well. If he pulls this off, what's next? Around the world?
Comment icon #13 Posted by Wes83 on 12 June, 2018, 17:44
Lol thats great, confusion causing never makes anything curious or angry.
Comment icon #14 Posted by ~Onyx~ on 13 June, 2018, 2:30
Hope he makes it in one piece.

Road workers unearth woolly mammoth bones
10-21-2018
The prehistoric remains of a mammoth and rhinoceros have been discovered near Cambridge, England.
Perfectly square iceberg baffles the Internet
10-21-2018
This strangely geometric piece of ice was photographed by NASA off Antarctica's Larsen C ice shelf.
Ancient talisman inscription remains a mystery
10-20-2018
Experts in London have been attempting to decipher the writing on an ancient stone found in the 19th century.
Dr Who and Star Trek get new constellations
10-20-2018
NASA has revealed an unofficial list of new gamma ray constellations based on popular culture icons.
The city of towering temples
Posted 10-21-2018 | 2 comments
A look at the temples of Angkor - a city steeped in Cambodian history and legend.

How does fluid 'climb' up a rod ?
Posted 10-16-2018 | 4 comments
Physics Girl checks out a remarkable effect achievable with non-newtonian fluids.

Tense stand off with an elephant
Posted 10-10-2018 | 2 comments
A BBC film crew ends up face to face with a potentially hostile Indian elephant.

Free solo climbing in 360 degrees
Posted 10-5-2018 | 3 comments
Alex Honnold climbs up Yosemite's famous El Capitan with no equipment whatsoever.

An astronaut's guide to risk taking
Posted 10-1-2018 | 0 comments
Veteran NASA astronaut Chris Hadfield talks about his views on taking risks.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas