Monday, July 23, 2018

Mystery object spotted over Whidbey Island

Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2018 | Comment icon 45 comments

What does this image show ? Image Credit: Facebook / Greg Johnson / Skunk Bay Weather
A weather camera picked up this peculiar anomaly on Sunday night and nobody can agree on what it is.
The object was photographed at 3:56am near a naval air station on Whidbey Island, Washington state.

"My night camera picked up what clearly looks like a very large missile launch from Whidbey Island," wrote Greg Johnson of Skunk Bay Weather who published the picture on Facebook.

"I really wanted more information before I shared this with the public."

Despite suggestions that the photograph shows a missile however, the naval air station on the island maintains that it doesn't actually have the ability to launch missiles of this size.

"There's a lot of speculation around here," said spokesman Tom Mills. "But it's definitely not a missile."

Neither Robert Lunsford of the American Meteor Society or Professor David Shultz of the University of Manchester's Center for Atmospheric Science believe that the photo shows a meteorological event.

So what could it be ?

Source: Fox News | Comments (45)

Tags: UFO, Missile

Comment icon #36 Posted by stereologist on 15 June, 2018, 15:52
Sorry to disagree, but how did this not wake anyone at all? No one noticed? Did the navy luck out after this supposed launchclose to land?
Comment icon #37 Posted by lilthor on 15 June, 2018, 16:03
Not sure what you are disagreeing with. Your post suggested there is no capability for launching missiles in the area. That is clearly wrong. As to whether the object in the photo is an actual missile, I have no idea. I also don't know how much noise a sub-launched missile makes, but a short trip north from the Trident base to a point between Mutiny Bay on Whidbey Island and Oak Bay on the Kitsap Peninsula puts asub at least 4 miles from land on either side. ETA: And not too much further north puts a sub in the Strait of Juan de Fuca...a much larger expanse of open water.
Comment icon #38 Posted by stereologist on 15 June, 2018, 16:41
Actually I was referring to the base on Whidbey Island. I've referred to thatbase several times. You are clearly not following the thread and the posts I wrote. I supposeif we want to go off on anothertangent why use a submarine?
Comment icon #39 Posted by lilthor on 15 June, 2018, 16:49
Ermm...because, for launching missiles, submarines are the only suitable platform in the region...? What do I win?
Comment icon #40 Posted by lilthor on 15 June, 2018, 16:53
I actually did read your posts and it was obvious you had no idea this area is crawling with missile-capable nuclear subs. Now you know.
Comment icon #41 Posted by stereologist on 15 June, 2018, 17:04
I did know. I do know. Just another effort on your part to cover up your foolish mistake.
Comment icon #42 Posted by stereologist on 15 June, 2018, 17:05
Another example of your foolishness.
Comment icon #43 Posted by lilthor on 15 June, 2018, 17:10
At least you're half-correct. That's progress...
Comment icon #44 Posted by stereologist on 15 June, 2018, 17:16
And your as foolish as ever. So please get back to learning to read. It's a must in forum like this.
Comment icon #45 Posted by ChrLzs on 17 June, 2018, 22:12
In the interests of correctness, and to prove I don't mind being wrong - this point was ill-thought out! I was comparing a long exposure to a short daylight exposure. So *if* it was a rocket launch, yes, it could have left a bright trail all the way.. All the other points still apply....

Hidden 'Stonehenge' discovered in Ireland
7-22-2018
A Neolithic henge that had lain hidden for centuries has been revealed in Ireland thanks to a recent drought.
Giant 'dire wolf' filmed chasing dog in woods
7-22-2018
Remarkable footage has resurfaced showing a dog being pursued by a gigantic black wolf-like creature.
Neil Armstrong's collection to go up for auction
7-21-2018
A number of personal mementos Armstrong took with him to the Moon are set to go up for sale at auction.
Mystery buzzing plagues Barwell residents
7-21-2018
An aggravating background noise has been giving locals in Leicestershire sleepless nights for months.
Why do bandaids glow ?
Posted 7-19-2018 | 0 comments
Dianna Cowern investigates why some bandaids produce a blue glow when they are opened.

Spinning a record to pieces
Posted 7-15-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment with old vinyl records.

Pearlfish's gross hiding spot
Posted 7-8-2018 | 1 comment
A pearlfish finds a particularly unappealing place to hide on the ocean floor.

What jobs will flourish in the future ?
Posted 7-5-2018 | 2 comments
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku predicts which jobs will be important in the future.

Skunked
Posted 7-1-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson meets a rather adorable skunk - but can he avoid getting sprayed ?

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA