Sunday, June 24, 2018

Mystery object spotted over Whidbey Island

Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2018 | Comment icon 45 comments

What does this image show ? Image Credit: Facebook / Greg Johnson / Skunk Bay Weather
A weather camera picked up this peculiar anomaly on Sunday night and nobody can agree on what it is.
The object was photographed at 3:56am near a naval air station on Whidbey Island, Washington state.

"My night camera picked up what clearly looks like a very large missile launch from Whidbey Island," wrote Greg Johnson of Skunk Bay Weather who published the picture on Facebook.

"I really wanted more information before I shared this with the public."

Despite suggestions that the photograph shows a missile however, the naval air station on the island maintains that it doesn't actually have the ability to launch missiles of this size.

"There's a lot of speculation around here," said spokesman Tom Mills. "But it's definitely not a missile."

Neither Robert Lunsford of the American Meteor Society or Professor David Shultz of the University of Manchester's Center for Atmospheric Science believe that the photo shows a meteorological event.

So what could it be ?

Source: Fox News | Comments (45)

Tags: UFO, Missile

Comment icon #36 Posted by stereologist on 15 June, 2018, 15:52
Sorry to disagree, but how did this not wake anyone at all? No one noticed? Did the navy luck out after this supposed launchclose to land?
Comment icon #37 Posted by lilthor on 15 June, 2018, 16:03
Not sure what you are disagreeing with. Your post suggested there is no capability for launching missiles in the area. That is clearly wrong. As to whether the object in the photo is an actual missile, I have no idea. I also don't know how much noise a sub-launched missile makes, but a short trip north from the Trident base to a point between Mutiny Bay on Whidbey Island and Oak Bay on the Kitsap Peninsula puts asub at least 4 miles from land on either side. ETA: And not too much further north puts a sub in the Strait of Juan de Fuca...a much larger expanse of open water.
Comment icon #38 Posted by stereologist on 15 June, 2018, 16:41
Actually I was referring to the base on Whidbey Island. I've referred to thatbase several times. You are clearly not following the thread and the posts I wrote. I supposeif we want to go off on anothertangent why use a submarine?
Comment icon #39 Posted by lilthor on 15 June, 2018, 16:49
Ermm...because, for launching missiles, submarines are the only suitable platform in the region...? What do I win?
Comment icon #40 Posted by lilthor on 15 June, 2018, 16:53
I actually did read your posts and it was obvious you had no idea this area is crawling with missile-capable nuclear subs. Now you know.
Comment icon #41 Posted by stereologist on 15 June, 2018, 17:04
I did know. I do know. Just another effort on your part to cover up your foolish mistake.
Comment icon #42 Posted by stereologist on 15 June, 2018, 17:05
Another example of your foolishness.
Comment icon #43 Posted by lilthor on 15 June, 2018, 17:10
At least you're half-correct. That's progress...
Comment icon #44 Posted by stereologist on 15 June, 2018, 17:16
And your as foolish as ever. So please get back to learning to read. It's a must in forum like this.
Comment icon #45 Posted by ChrLzs on 17 June, 2018, 22:12
In the interests of correctness, and to prove I don't mind being wrong - this point was ill-thought out! I was comparing a long exposure to a short daylight exposure. So *if* it was a rocket launch, yes, it could have left a bright trail all the way.. All the other points still apply....

Cafe closes doors due to paranormal activity
6-24-2018
A cafe in San Antonio has closed up shop after its owners captured something unusual on camera.
Mystery surrounds stolen Columbus letter
6-23-2018
A copy of a letter written by Christopher Columbus was stolen from the Vatican and replaced with a fake.
Mars dust storm has encircled the entire planet
6-23-2018
The dust storm that left the Opportunity rover out of commission is now classed as 'planet-encircling'.
Koko the sign language gorilla dies aged 46
6-22-2018
A gentle gorilla who famously mastered sign language and understood 2,000 words has sadly passed away.
The conjoined teachers
Posted 6-24-2018 | 0 comments
Conjoined twins Abby and Brittany Hensel have aspirations to become school teachers.

Hermit crab finds a new home
Posted 6-18-2018 | 1 comment
Hermit crabs on this tropical island have been experiencing something of a housing shortage.

Throwing water at -52 below zero
Posted 6-10-2018 | 1 comment
What happens when you throw hot water in to the air in extreme freezing temperatures ?

Man was bitten by snakes 200 times
Posted 6-6-2018 | 0 comments
Despite being bitten so many times, 'snakeman' Bill Haast lived to be over 100 years old.

Catching an octopus
Posted 6-4-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson goes in search of an octopus in the tidal pools of South Africa.

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA