Monday, September 24, 2018

3,200-year-old cheese discovered in Egypt

Posted on Sunday, 19 August, 2018 | Comment icon 10 comments

The ancient Egyptians were adept at cheese-making. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Axel Seedorff
A strange white substance found inside a broken jar from an ancient tomb has turned out to be cheese.
The ancient foodstuff, which dates back three millennia, was originally discovered when archaeologists excavated the tomb of Ptahmes - a high-ranking Egyptian official.

It wasn't until it was analyzed as part of a new study that it was finally determined to be cheese.

"The material analysed is probably the most ancient archaeological solid residue of cheese ever found to date," said Dr Enrico Greco from the University of Catania. "We know it was made mostly from sheep's and goat's milk, but for me it's really hard to imagine a specific flavor."

The analysis of the cheese has also revealed that it had contained Brucella - a type of bacteria found in unpasteurised dairy products.

The taste of the cheese has been described as "really, really acidy."

You certainly wouldn't want to try eating it today.

Source: BBC News | Comments (10)

Tags: Egypt, Cheese

Comment icon #1 Posted by sci-nerd on 15 August, 2018, 21:32
Does that mean you can't eat it?
Comment icon #2 Posted by susieice on 15 August, 2018, 22:29
I wouldn't. It's unidentified   Who knows what it's made from. I know they found honey in tombs that was good. I'm not so sure about cheese. But then, people wanted to drink mummy juice.
Comment icon #3 Posted by DebDandelion on 16 August, 2018, 3:42
Eeereeeeeeeeuw to mummy juice And #ponder...can we still call it cheese..?
Comment icon #4 Posted by susieice on 17 August, 2018, 22:49
This is what the cheese looks like. I think I'll pass. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/science/oldest-cheese-ever-egypt-tomb.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur
Comment icon #5 Posted by GlitterRose on 18 August, 2018, 0:51
At least old cheese isn't really...bad news.  It's just odd news.
Comment icon #6 Posted by freetoroam on 19 August, 2018, 18:51
I prefer the spreadable type, i too will pass.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Bunzilla on 19 August, 2018, 19:31
I find cheese that's more than two years old gets too dry for me. I think I'll also pass. Cool discovery though! Makes me wonder just how long ago we invented cheese.
Comment icon #8 Posted by pallidin on 20 August, 2018, 3:25
Perhaps the real question is: Which wine would you recommend?
Comment icon #9 Posted by Timothy on 20 August, 2018, 5:45
There’s a lovely 350-325 AD vintage you might like, in an unopened 1.5 litre bottle. Unsure of the price though... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speyer_wine_bottle
Comment icon #10 Posted by paperdyer on 20 August, 2018, 11:18
Will it make good cheese curds? If it's fresh I mean.  If so, you'll need a good beer, not wine.

Planet-hunting probe finds two new candidates
9-23-2018
A mere two months after beginning operations, NASA's TESS spacecraft has found two new extrasolar worlds.
Two-headed snake discovered in Virginia
9-23-2018
An 'extremely rare' adult copperhead snake with two heads was recently found in a garden in Woodbridge.
Optical illusion can determine how old you are
9-23-2018
According to researchers, your age group can be determined by how you initially interpret this image.
1,000ft spider web covers edge of Greek lagoon
9-22-2018
A vast stretch of vegetation next to Aitoliko Lagoon has become hidden beneath a huge mass of spider silk.
Treadmill fall in slow motion
Posted 9-17-2018 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys return with another bizarre slow-motion experiment.

Tricking your ears
Posted 9-9-2018 | 0 comments
A look at some intriguing audio illusions and at how the brain interprets sound.

The science of music
Posted 9-5-2018 | 0 comments
A look at why our brains become so hooked on particularly catchy songs.

Swimming with lemon sharks
Posted 8-28-2018 | 1 comment
Steve Backshall gets up close to a group of deadly lemon sharks.

Cousins explained
Posted 8-24-2018 | 4 comments
Exactly what is a third cousin twice removed ? Michael unravels the mystery.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas