Thursday, October 18, 2018

Group offers $11,700 for proof of superpowers

Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2018 | Comment icon 68 comments

Do psychic powers exist ? Image Credit: YouTube / CarrieNYC
The Society for the Scientific Investigation of Para-Sciences is looking for proof that psychic abilities exist.
Consisting of psychologists, physicists and biologists, the Germany-based group maintains that people who claim to possess psychic abilities should be given the opportunity to prove themselves.

Each year, candidates are invited to the University of Wurzburg to demonstrate their talents under laboratory conditions and there is even a prize of $11,700 on offer to anyone who succeeds.

So far at least 60 people have taken up the challenge, however despite claiming to possess abilities ranging from telekinesis to telepathy, none have managed to prove that psychic powers exist.

"We're not here to make people look ridiculous," said researcher Rainer Wolf who oversees the testing. "We just want to show that many such claims are nonsense."

Last year, one of the candidates who turned up claimed that he was able to move objects around with his mind. The test he was given involved moving a piece of paper contained inside a glass lid.

He spent several hours attempting to move the paper before eventually admitting defeat.

According to Rainer, most of the candidates genuinely believe that they possess special powers. In many cases, it is a belief that has been built up over the course of many years.

In many ways, the group's research is less about validating the existence of such abilities and more about understanding the psychology behind why people believe they possess them in the first place.

Source: myjoyonline.com | Comments (68)

Tags: Psychic

Comment icon #59 Posted by meirphase on 28 September, 2018, 8:00
Interesting, would be good if they recorded this stuff.
Comment icon #60 Posted by Avalanche on 28 September, 2018, 8:52
That is also some sort of superpower
Comment icon #61 Posted by internetperson on 28 September, 2018, 17:09
I'm not criticizing you just my 2 cents is keep this to yourself. For 1 you gotta admit it's a bit tiring when someone makes an extraordinary claim without any evidence whatsoever and 2 it's a good habit to keep the mouth shut in general. Pen is mightier than the sword but the tongue quickly gets you in trouble.
Comment icon #62 Posted by acute on 28 September, 2018, 17:18
I was relaying a personal experience, not making a claim. Most users on UM would have heard of a Psi Ball before I mentioned it. Therefore, it is not an unknown phenomenon, and my example cannot be the first.
Comment icon #63 Posted by XenoFish on 28 September, 2018, 19:13
It's not a validated phenomena. I used to make them all the time. Got to the point where I could generate a visual hallucination and see them. Also called Flaring. As in flaring a psi-ball. I've built many a construct as well. But, there is absolutely no way to prove it's real. Unless it's tested.
Comment icon #64 Posted by internetperson on 28 September, 2018, 21:27
Assuming you've seen the infamous chi karate guy who was exposed on...some cable show (don't remember)? It's on youtube I post it here often. They make psi balls in it.  I don't go after these folks cause (in part) frankly I'm a nice guy. I know christians that are absolutely awesome folks and great friends so I don't try and point out the holes in their beliefs. Same thing I guess. That being said I do not like 'psi balls' or whatever in karate or anything related to martial arts cause that is harmful for kids and anyone open to this type of belief system.
Comment icon #65 Posted by XenoFish on 28 September, 2018, 21:35
That's all well and good, but the good christians keep to themselves. The good/casual/experimenters in the occult and paranormal tend to keep to themselves as well. Hell I wouldn't even be a member of UM if it wasn't for a thread asking what certain sigils meant. But if you're going to claim some supernormal ability. Know full well you'll be challenged on it.
Comment icon #66 Posted by TripGun on 12 October, 2018, 15:21
How can I enjoy my money after I have been dissected.... Unless I have the power of restructuring meat.
Comment icon #67 Posted by Senkoujin on 16 October, 2018, 4:44
Meh, it's not worth bothering compared to the ole one-million dollars offer.
Comment icon #68 Posted by ChrLzs on 18 October, 2018, 5:21
If you are referring to the James Randi/JREF offer, it has now been (sort of) discontinued, as they were sick of all the claimants wasting their time - when tested using their own criteria, all claimants failed the tests that they helped design, and that they agreed to as a fair preliminary test.. Apparently JREF may continue with it at a later date, but the way in which people apply/get nominated will change.. http://web.randi.org/home/jref-status

City to replace lights with 'artificial moon'
10-17-2018
The Chinese city of Chengdu is working on a novel space-age solution to illuminating its streets at night.
NASA should be looking for ET, say scientists
10-17-2018
A new report has suggested that searching for evidence of alien life should be part of all future space missions.
McLaren unveils mind-controlled F1 car concept
10-17-2018
The motorsport giant has released a concept video of a true next-generation vehicle known as the MP4-X.
Hawking's final book answers the big questions
10-16-2018
The late physicist's last book, which was published today, attempts to answer the biggest questions of them all.
How does fluid 'climb' up a rod ?
Posted 10-16-2018 | 2 comments
Physics Girl checks out a remarkable effect achievable with non-newtonian fluids.

Tense stand off with an elephant
Posted 10-10-2018 | 2 comments
A BBC film crew ends up face to face with a potentially hostile Indian elephant.

Free solo climbing in 360 degrees
Posted 10-5-2018 | 3 comments
Alex Honnold climbs up Yosemite's famous El Capitan with no equipment whatsoever.

An astronaut's guide to risk taking
Posted 10-1-2018 | 0 comments
Veteran NASA astronaut Chris Hadfield talks about his views on taking risks.

The man who climbed Everest 21 times
Posted 9-27-2018 | 0 comments
Apa Sherpa holds the world record for the most ascents of the world's tallest mountain.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas