Saturday, February 23, 2019

Group offers $11,700 for proof of superpowers

Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2018 | Comment icon 69 comments

Do psychic powers exist ? Image Credit: YouTube / CarrieNYC
The Society for the Scientific Investigation of Para-Sciences is looking for proof that psychic abilities exist.
Consisting of psychologists, physicists and biologists, the Germany-based group maintains that people who claim to possess psychic abilities should be given the opportunity to prove themselves.

Each year, candidates are invited to the University of Wurzburg to demonstrate their talents under laboratory conditions and there is even a prize of $11,700 on offer to anyone who succeeds.

So far at least 60 people have taken up the challenge, however despite claiming to possess abilities ranging from telekinesis to telepathy, none have managed to prove that psychic powers exist.

"We're not here to make people look ridiculous," said researcher Rainer Wolf who oversees the testing. "We just want to show that many such claims are nonsense."

Last year, one of the candidates who turned up claimed that he was able to move objects around with his mind. The test he was given involved moving a piece of paper contained inside a glass lid.

He spent several hours attempting to move the paper before eventually admitting defeat.

According to Rainer, most of the candidates genuinely believe that they possess special powers. In many cases, it is a belief that has been built up over the course of many years.

In many ways, the group's research is less about validating the existence of such abilities and more about understanding the psychology behind why people believe they possess them in the first place.

Source: myjoyonline.com | Comments (69)

Tags: Psychic

Comment icon #60 Posted by Avalanche on 28 September, 2018, 8:52
That is also some sort of superpower
Comment icon #61 Posted by internetperson on 28 September, 2018, 17:09
I'm not criticizing you just my 2 cents is keep this to yourself. For 1 you gotta admit it's a bit tiring when someone makes an extraordinary claim without any evidence whatsoever and 2 it's a good habit to keep the mouth shut in general. Pen is mightier than the sword but the tongue quickly gets you in trouble.
Comment icon #62 Posted by acute on 28 September, 2018, 17:18
I was relaying a personal experience, not making a claim. Most users on UM would have heard of a Psi Ball before I mentioned it. Therefore, it is not an unknown phenomenon, and my example cannot be the first.
Comment icon #63 Posted by XenoFish on 28 September, 2018, 19:13
It's not a validated phenomena. I used to make them all the time. Got to the point where I could generate a visual hallucination and see them. Also called Flaring. As in flaring a psi-ball. I've built many a construct as well. But, there is absolutely no way to prove it's real. Unless it's tested.
Comment icon #64 Posted by internetperson on 28 September, 2018, 21:27
Assuming you've seen the infamous chi karate guy who was exposed on...some cable show (don't remember)? It's on youtube I post it here often. They make psi balls in it.  I don't go after these folks cause (in part) frankly I'm a nice guy. I know christians that are absolutely awesome folks and great friends so I don't try and point out the holes in their beliefs. Same thing I guess. That being said I do not like 'psi balls' or whatever in karate or anything related to martial arts cause that is harmful for kids and anyone open to this type of belief system.
Comment icon #65 Posted by XenoFish on 28 September, 2018, 21:35
That's all well and good, but the good christians keep to themselves. The good/casual/experimenters in the occult and paranormal tend to keep to themselves as well. Hell I wouldn't even be a member of UM if it wasn't for a thread asking what certain sigils meant. But if you're going to claim some supernormal ability. Know full well you'll be challenged on it.
Comment icon #66 Posted by TripGun on 12 October, 2018, 15:21
How can I enjoy my money after I have been dissected.... Unless I have the power of restructuring meat.
Comment icon #67 Posted by Senkoujin on 16 October, 2018, 4:44
Meh, it's not worth bothering compared to the ole one-million dollars offer.
Comment icon #68 Posted by ChrLzs on 18 October, 2018, 5:21
If you are referring to the James Randi/JREF offer, it has now been (sort of) discontinued, as they were sick of all the claimants wasting their time - when tested using their own criteria, all claimants failed the tests that they helped design, and that they agreed to as a fair preliminary test.. Apparently JREF may continue with it at a later date, but the way in which people apply/get nominated will change.. http://web.randi.org/home/jref-status
Comment icon #69 Posted by Emma_Acid on 22 October, 2018, 16:30
If these abilities actually existed it would change the world. Isn't that enough?

12-year-old builds working nuclear reactor
2-22-2019
Jackson Oswalt achieved the seemingly impossible by building a fusion reactor in his parents' spare room.
Hayabusa2 probe touches down on asteroid
2-22-2019
The successful landing follows on from the deployment of two small rovers back in September of last year.
Mystery of stickleback's 'virgin' birth solved
2-22-2019
Researchers were surprised to discover that a fish nick-named 'Mary' had been carrying fertilized eggs.
Miniature Tyrannosaurus rex discovered
2-21-2019
A pint-sized relative of the tyrant lizard dating back 96 million years has been unearthed in North America.
Why do blind people wear sunglasses ?
Posted 2-19-2019 | 2 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why blind people are often seen wearing sunglasses, even indoors.

How will humans evolve ?
Posted 2-12-2019 | 2 comments
What's next for our species - what will a human of the future be like ?

Why do mirrors only flip horizontally?
Posted 2-6-2019 | 3 comments
When you look in the mirror, why is your image only flipped horizontally and not vertically ?

The quest for a superbug cure
Posted 1-31-2019 | 0 comments
Does the key to dealing with superbug infections lie deep underground in a cave ?

Round Earth vs flat Earth
Posted 1-18-2019 | 6 comments
Why do some people believe that the Earth is as flat as a pancake?

My skinless demon