Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Can plants keep you alive in an airtight room?

Posted on Thursday, 1 November, 2018 | Comment icon 22 comments

Kurtis inside his plant-filled cube. Image Credit: Twitter / Kurtis Baute
Scientist Kurtis Baute decided to see how long he could last in an airtight cube with only plants to supply oxygen.
The Canadian, whose goal was to raise awareness for climate change, opted to seal himself inside a plastic prison measuring 10ft by 10ft along with 200 plants to see how long he'd be able to survive.

Plants use sunlight to convert carbon dioxide into oxygen through a process called photosynthesis and by filling the room with them he had hoped to be able to last for at least three days.

Baute started his challenge at midnight on Tuesday and while things started out promisingly enough, he ultimately had to abandon the attempt after just 15 hours due to high carbon dioxide levels.
The main problem, he argued, was that the plants hadn't been getting enough sunlight.

"I could probably survive in the jar three days," he wrote on his website. "But my goal is not to just 'not die', my goal is to end this project without having turned blue, developed brain damage, gotten heat stroke, or just generally caused lasting harm to my body."

It remains to be seen whether or not he will attempt the experiment again.

Source: BBC News | Comments (22)

Tags: Plants, Oxygen

Comment icon #13 Posted by Setton on 1 November, 2018, 22:40
Amazing what random facts I remember from Y7 biology.  Can't remember what I went in the kitchen for but I remember that plants respire at night!
Comment icon #14 Posted by Dark_Grey on 2 November, 2018, 1:44
I hear you. That kind of memory is great for crossword puzzles but dont ask me to recite my postal code
Comment icon #15 Posted by avtomat47 on 2 November, 2018, 1:55
Professor/geologist Iain Stewart already did pretty much the same thing. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2038180/TV-scientist-suffers-blinding-headaches-experiment-living-airtight-box-surviving-solely-oxygen-emitted-plants-comes-end.html
Comment icon #16 Posted by DirtyDocMartens on 2 November, 2018, 2:06
Yeah, it seems a competent scientist could figure it out with a calculator. Kinda fun, though. Also, I wonder how it would have ended if he had been in a room full of marihuana plants.
Comment icon #17 Posted by TonopahRick on 2 November, 2018, 13:35
Well, he might have died but he would have gone out with a smile.
Comment icon #18 Posted by third_eye on 2 November, 2018, 15:08
My money's on the plants ... If he stays in there till he is plant food, the plants will do much better ~
Comment icon #19 Posted by Nnicolette on 3 November, 2018, 23:01
I was thinking the same thing... seems pretty obvious to do the preliminary measurement of how much carbon dioxide the plants can convert and stock the room accordingly instead of just setting some random plants in there and seeing how long until you suffocate.
Comment icon #20 Posted by lost_shaman on 5 November, 2018, 10:08
For sure. It wouldn't be all that complicated. I say that but there would be many factors. For one thing a 10X10X10 room would hold 1,000 cubic feet of air. A Human at rest breathes 388 cubic feet per day. That thousand cubic feet would have about 0.05% CO2 concentration to begin with. Then human breath has a 5% CO2 concentration. So in one day you would increase the CO2 concentration in a 1,000 cubic foot room to a little over 2% concentration, which would be lethal. Next a human breath exhaled has about 19% Oxygen so you are breathing out 1.95% less oxygen than you are breathing in a day you... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by Doug1029 on 5 November, 2018, 14:45
You're getting as windy as I am.  Must be these southern plains. Doug
Comment icon #22 Posted by lost_shaman on 5 November, 2018, 14:49
Haha! I tried to keep it simple! I had tons more info I could have added, but to much information just turns people off so I try and keep it simple.

There is water on the Moon, scientists confirm
10-26-2020
Today's discovery about the Moon has turned out to be an absolute confirmation of the presence of water.
NASA wants to hear your conspiracy theories
10-26-2020
The space agency is producing a special Halloween video in which it will debunk user-submitted conspiracies.
This beetle can survive being run over by a car
10-25-2020
Scientists have discovered that one particularly hardy beetle has an almost indestructible exoskeleton.
CIA agents attacked by 'microwave weapon'
10-25-2020
The alleged attack took place in Australia last year and has been blamed on Russian security service agents.
Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball