Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Man takes legal action to change his own age

Posted on Saturday, 10 November, 2018 | Comment icon 61 comments

Should it be legal to change your own age ? Image Credit: PD - Joe Gratz
69-year-old Emile Ratelband has taken his local authority to court in an effort to have his age legally changed to 49.
The Dutch entrepreneur and TV personality, who was born on 11th March 1949, took legal action after being refused an application to have his date of birth officially changed to 11th March 1969.

Ratelband maintains that he feels 20 years younger than he actually is and will enjoy numerous benefits from having this formally recognized on his birth certificate.

Part of his argument is that if transgender people can change their gender, then he should be allowed to change his age, especially given that his doctor has stated that he has the body of a 45-year-old.

He also claims that he has been discriminated against due to his age.

The case has caused quite a lot of controversy and debate in his native Netherlands.

"I have done a check-up and what does it show? My biological age is 45 years," he said. "When I'm 69, I am limited. If I'm 49, then I can buy a new house, drive a different car. I can take up more work."

"When I'm on Tinder and it says I'm 69, I don't get an answer. When I'm 49, with the face I have, I will be in a luxurious position."

The court is due to deliver its verdict within the next four weeks.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (61)

Tags: Age, Court

Comment icon #52 Posted by Gecks on 11 November, 2018, 23:18
If you were born male, your biologically male. If your born female your biologically female. If you were born in 2008 your biologically 10 years old now in 2018.  Anything you change, be it age, gender etc is a lie against what was biologically created at birth. From a courts perspective one should stand as strongly as the other.  As people have stated theres plenty of issues associated with saying your younger than you are. Its like winding back the mileage on your car to say its done 50,000 less.  To the same degree we have biologically born men competing and winning in female sport because ... [More]
Comment icon #53 Posted by Black Red Devil on 12 November, 2018, 0:19
I must have missed that part of human history where Liberals murdered millions for authoritarian and racist reasons.
Comment icon #54 Posted by thedutchiedutch on 14 November, 2018, 0:55
I remember this guy from the time I still lived in the Netherlands. He is a nut case and most Dutch people do not like him at all. He craves media attention at all times and therefore he comes up with these ridiculous ideas. He is not to be taken serious.
Comment icon #55 Posted by skliss on 15 November, 2018, 14:37
I'm fighting it tooth and nail...in a graceful way.
Comment icon #56 Posted by Still Waters on 3 December, 2018, 14:40
As it happens this is in today's news: No surprises there really.
Comment icon #57 Posted by aztek on 3 December, 2018, 14:59
you missed nazis??   Nazis did just that, and liberals take their plays from their play books, that alone is enough to be worried, but i'm sure someone who lives 1000's of miles away from where it happens has no clue.    nor all  Jews living in Germany seen it coming either.
Comment icon #58 Posted by Black Red Devil on 3 December, 2018, 21:59
So you reinvent historical definitions and then call others living miles away dumb because you don't believe they would go along with your fantasy.  Look, I'll have to give it to you.  You deserve a round of applause for producing possibly the stupidest post in the political section of UM since I've been here.  It would have been a classic if only you posted it in the Jokes and Humour thread instead.
Comment icon #59 Posted by aztek on 3 December, 2018, 22:08
you mistook me for .....you. that is what you normally do in USA section,  me otoh, i don't even go to Australian section.
Comment icon #60 Posted by Black Red Devil on 3 December, 2018, 22:46
With classics like the ones you produce where I can have a few laughs for free why would I miss out on visiting the US section?  Sorry mate but I'll keep politely inviting myself to your displeasure and I'm sure deep down you don't mind.
Comment icon #61 Posted by Gecks on 3 December, 2018, 23:09
Thanks for the update. I think its the correct verdict but in the ages we live in nothing seems to surprise me.

Eels 'hyperactive' due to cocaine in the Thames
1-22-2019
According to a report, excessive drug use in London may be having an adverse effect on some of the local wildlife.
Steam-powered space probe could work forever
1-22-2019
Scientists have developed a prototype for a steam-powered spacecraft that can refuel itself with water.
Frog travels 8,000 miles in woman's suitcase
1-22-2019
One holidaymaker got more than she bargained for recently after returning from a trip to South Africa.
Ancient shark species named after video game
1-21-2019
A newly discovered species of prehistoric shark has been assigned a name based on the shape of its teeth.
Round Earth vs flat Earth
Posted 1-18-2019 | 4 comments
Why do some people believe that the Earth is as flat as a pancake?

Which is correct - math or maths ?
Posted 1-10-2019 | 2 comments
For years, there has been some confusion over the shorthand of the word 'mathematics'.

How fast does glass crack ?
Posted 12-31-2018 | 5 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment in their back yard.

The most mind-blowing space discoveries
Posted 12-28-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at some of mankind's greatest space-related discoveries.

The origins of Christmas
Posted 12-22-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at the origins of several modern Christmas traditions.

Johannesburg Men in Black