Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Man takes legal action to change his own age

Posted on Saturday, 10 November, 2018 | Comment icon 61 comments

Should it be legal to change your own age ? Image Credit: PD - Joe Gratz
69-year-old Emile Ratelband has taken his local authority to court in an effort to have his age legally changed to 49.
The Dutch entrepreneur and TV personality, who was born on 11th March 1949, took legal action after being refused an application to have his date of birth officially changed to 11th March 1969.

Ratelband maintains that he feels 20 years younger than he actually is and will enjoy numerous benefits from having this formally recognized on his birth certificate.

Part of his argument is that if transgender people can change their gender, then he should be allowed to change his age, especially given that his doctor has stated that he has the body of a 45-year-old.

He also claims that he has been discriminated against due to his age.

The case has caused quite a lot of controversy and debate in his native Netherlands.

"I have done a check-up and what does it show? My biological age is 45 years," he said. "When I'm 69, I am limited. If I'm 49, then I can buy a new house, drive a different car. I can take up more work."

"When I'm on Tinder and it says I'm 69, I don't get an answer. When I'm 49, with the face I have, I will be in a luxurious position."

The court is due to deliver its verdict within the next four weeks.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (61)

Tags: Age, Court

Comment icon #52 Posted by Gecks on 11 November, 2018, 23:18
If you were born male, your biologically male. If your born female your biologically female. If you were born in 2008 your biologically 10 years old now in 2018.  Anything you change, be it age, gender etc is a lie against what was biologically created at birth. From a courts perspective one should stand as strongly as the other.  As people have stated theres plenty of issues associated with saying your younger than you are. Its like winding back the mileage on your car to say its done 50,000 less.  To the same degree we have biologically born men competing and winning in female sport because ... [More]
Comment icon #53 Posted by Black Red Devil on 12 November, 2018, 0:19
I must have missed that part of human history where Liberals murdered millions for authoritarian and racist reasons.
Comment icon #54 Posted by thedutchiedutch on 14 November, 2018, 0:55
I remember this guy from the time I still lived in the Netherlands. He is a nut case and most Dutch people do not like him at all. He craves media attention at all times and therefore he comes up with these ridiculous ideas. He is not to be taken serious.
Comment icon #55 Posted by skliss on 15 November, 2018, 14:37
I'm fighting it tooth and nail...in a graceful way.
Comment icon #56 Posted by Still Waters on 3 December, 2018, 14:40
As it happens this is in today's news: No surprises there really.
Comment icon #57 Posted by aztek on 3 December, 2018, 14:59
you missed nazis??   Nazis did just that, and liberals take their plays from their play books, that alone is enough to be worried, but i'm sure someone who lives 1000's of miles away from where it happens has no clue.    nor all  Jews living in Germany seen it coming either.
Comment icon #58 Posted by Black Red Devil on 3 December, 2018, 21:59
So you reinvent historical definitions and then call others living miles away dumb because you don't believe they would go along with your fantasy.  Look, I'll have to give it to you.  You deserve a round of applause for producing possibly the stupidest post in the political section of UM since I've been here.  It would have been a classic if only you posted it in the Jokes and Humour thread instead.
Comment icon #59 Posted by aztek on 3 December, 2018, 22:08
you mistook me for .....you. that is what you normally do in USA section,  me otoh, i don't even go to Australian section.
Comment icon #60 Posted by Black Red Devil on 3 December, 2018, 22:46
With classics like the ones you produce where I can have a few laughs for free why would I miss out on visiting the US section?  Sorry mate but I'll keep politely inviting myself to your displeasure and I'm sure deep down you don't mind.
Comment icon #61 Posted by Gecks on 3 December, 2018, 23:09
Thanks for the update. I think its the correct verdict but in the ages we live in nothing seems to surprise me.

'Sleeping Beauty' naps for weeks at a time
3-25-2019
A woman with a rare sleeping disorder can sometimes spend weeks sleeping up to 22 hours a day.
NASA reveals details of Mars 2020 helicopter
3-25-2019
The tiny chopper is set to become the first man-made aerial vehicle to fly through the skies of another world.
Earth could be under 'galactic quarantine'
3-25-2019
An international group of scientists met in Paris last week to discuss why we have yet to encounter alien life.
Fridge full of beer found in field after flood
3-24-2019
Two men who had been cleaning up after a flood couldn't believe their luck when they found a fully stocked fridge.
Latin America's most dangerous snake
Posted 3-24-2019 | 1 comment
Coyote Peterson comes face to face with an extremely dangerous reptile.

Squaring a doughnut
Posted 3-12-2019 | 1 comment
Michael returns with another mind-bending problem - this time concerning squares.

Shells of cosmic time
Posted 3-3-2019 | 0 comments
A look at how observations of distant objects enable us to see back in time.

Thailand's snake village
Posted 2-26-2019 | 2 comments
Steve Backshall visits a village where the inhabitants live alongside dangerous snakes.

Why do blind people wear sunglasses ?
Posted 2-19-2019 | 2 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why blind people are often seen wearing sunglasses, even indoors.

Winter solstice hooded figures