Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Man takes legal action to change his own age

Posted on Saturday, 10 November, 2018 | Comment icon 56 comments

Should it be legal to change your own age ? Image Credit: PD - Joe Gratz
69-year-old Emile Ratelband has taken his local authority to court in an effort to have his age legally changed to 49.
The Dutch entrepreneur and TV personality, who was born on 11th March 1949, took legal action after being refused an application to have his date of birth officially changed to 11th March 1969.

Ratelband maintains that he feels 20 years younger than he actually is and will enjoy numerous benefits from having this formally recognized on his birth certificate.

Part of his argument is that if transgender people can change their gender, then he should be allowed to change his age, especially given that his doctor has stated that he has the body of a 45-year-old.

He also claims that he has been discriminated against due to his age.

The case has caused quite a lot of controversy and debate in his native Netherlands.

"I have done a check-up and what does it show? My biological age is 45 years," he said. "When I'm 69, I am limited. If I'm 49, then I can buy a new house, drive a different car. I can take up more work."

"When I'm on Tinder and it says I'm 69, I don't get an answer. When I'm 49, with the face I have, I will be in a luxurious position."

The court is due to deliver its verdict within the next four weeks.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (56)

Tags: Age, Court

Comment icon #47 Posted by Gecks on 11 November, 2018, 11:31
It will be interesting to see the outcome of this. Its a solid argument in my eyes if you can change your gender why cant you change your age. Ones as physically grounded as the other. I must statethough i personally do not agree with changing one self outside of what nature intended. But I am willing to live and let live.
Comment icon #48 Posted by Setton on 11 November, 2018, 12:15
Except it's not. Gender =/= biological sex.
Comment icon #49 Posted by Seti42 on 11 November, 2018, 20:10
Sowhat? How does it effect YOU if some guy wants to legally change his age? And actually he has a point about age discrimination. It's still perfectly legal most places, even the US. Same with gender identity. Conservatives need to shut upabout that too.
Comment icon #50 Posted by Professor Buzzkill on 11 November, 2018, 20:58
Since when?
Comment icon #51 Posted by Professor Buzzkill on 11 November, 2018, 20:59
So if he had health insurance and declared himself to be 49, do you think they'd pay out for his hip replacement?
Comment icon #52 Posted by Setton on 11 November, 2018, 21:03
Since... always? Read the research.
Comment icon #53 Posted by Gecks on 11 November, 2018, 23:18
If you were born male, your biologically male. If your born female your biologically female. If you were born in 2008 your biologically 10 years old now in 2018. Anything you change, be it age, gender etc is a lie against what wasbiologically created at birth. From a courts perspective one should stand as strongly as the other. As people have stated theres plenty of issues associated with saying your younger than you are. Its like winding back the mileage on your car to say its done 50,000 less. To the same degree we have biologically born men competing and winning in female sport because ... [More]
Comment icon #54 Posted by Black Red Devil on 12 November, 2018, 0:19
I must have missed that part of human history where Liberals murdered millions for authoritarian and racist reasons.
Comment icon #55 Posted by thedutchiedutch on 14 November, 2018, 0:55
I remember this guy from the time I still lived in the Netherlands. He is a nut case and most Dutch people do not like him at all. He craves media attention at all times and therefore he comes up with these ridiculous ideas. He is not to be taken serious.
Comment icon #56 Posted by skliss on 15 November, 2018, 14:37
I'm fighting it tooth and nail...in a graceful way.

Horror as Chicago elevator plunges 80 floors
11-19-2018
Nightmare became reality for six passengers last week when their elevator plummeted towards the ground.
Why do wombats have cube-shaped droppings?
11-19-2018
Scientists have been unravelling what might just be one of the most perplexing mysteries of the natural world.
Flat Earthers gather for Denver conference
11-19-2018
More than 650 people gathered in Colorado this month to promote the idea that our planet is as flat as a pancake.
Parrot mimicking fire alarm fools firefighters
11-18-2018
A parrot with the uncanny ability to replicate the sound of a fire alarm prompted an emergency call-out recently.
The unique wildlife of the Cairngorms
Posted 11-16-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the breathtaking snowy wilds of Scotland's Cairngorm Mountains.

The last reef of the Galapagos
Posted 11-12-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the enigmatic world that lies beneath the ocean off the Galapagos Islands.

Morse code
Posted 11-7-2018 | 4 comments
Michael takes a look at an obsolete messaging system that uses dots and dashes.

The colors of autumn
Posted 10-31-2018 | 1 comment
Taking a moment to appreciate the colors and atmosphere of autumn.

Faster than a calculator
Posted 10-26-2018 | 2 comments
'Mathemagician' Arthur Benjamin shows off his amazing mathematical skills.

My name is whispered

Orange, hovering, atom-like figure
10-25-2018 | West kelowna

I saw a strange man
10-25-2018 | Croatia

Spontaneous exorcisms
10-25-2018 | Canada

Two children who didn't age
10-24-2018 | United States New York