Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Parrot mimicking fire alarm fools firefighters

Posted on Sunday, 18 November, 2018 | Comment icon 6 comments

Parrots are very good at impersonating sounds. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Maurice van Bruggen
A parrot with the uncanny ability to replicate the sound of a fire alarm prompted an emergency call-out recently.
Named Jazz, the 17-year-old African grey parrot quickly picked up the sound of his owner Steve Dockerty's smoke alarm after it kept going off due to a technical fault.

So convincing was the impression in fact that it ended up fooling the alarm operator over the phone.

"Every time the alarm goes off I get a call from the wardens and sometimes it goes off for no good reason," said Steve. "This time they asked me if everything was ok and I said it was but they could hear Jazz in the background and called the fire service as a precaution."

When firefighters arrived at the house they swept the premises for signs of a fire. It wasn't until the cheeky parrot did its impression again that they realized what had happened.

"He's a cheeky sod and likes to imitate things," said Steve. "He imitated the smoke alarm so well that they called the fire brigade. All the while, Jazz was sitting in his cage laughing his socks offs."

Source: BBC News | Comments (6)

Tags: Parrot, Fire Alarm

Comment icon #1 Posted by South Alabam on 18 November, 2018, 14:54
lol
Comment icon #2 Posted by Jenn8779 on 18 November, 2018, 15:47
This is awesome...lol
Comment icon #3 Posted by Kittens Are Jerks on 18 November, 2018, 22:11
What a cute little thing.. but you know, the parrot that cried fire... Such a brat.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Jon the frog on 19 November, 2018, 1:17
Parrot are so cool and they live bloody long too.
Comment icon #5 Posted by AllPossible on 19 November, 2018, 3:03
Love African Greys. Very smart & can basically live with their owners for life. My friend had 1 and the parrot could be in another room and say my name knowing I was there even without seeing me. She also used to leave the radio on when she went to work and the parrot had probably a 70 word vocabulary.
Comment icon #6 Posted by OverSword on 19 November, 2018, 17:13
My grandmother had an African Grey that imitated her laugh.  Sometimes when I was over there shooting the breeze Grandma would go in the kitchen where the parrot was to get some coffee or whatever and I would hear her laugh and I would ask her what was so funny and she would say It's not me it's the bird

Parrot orders shopping using Amazon Alexa
12-18-2018
A parrot named Rocco has been driving his owner up the wall by ordering items using Amazon's voice assistant.
Distant solar system object 'Farout' discovered
12-18-2018
Astronomers have identified the farthest known object in our solar system at a distance of 11 billion miles.
China and Russia modify Earth's atmosphere
12-17-2018
The two world powers have reportedly been working together on a series of controversial experiments.
Prehistoric feathers found preserved in amber
12-17-2018
Scientists have discovered some rather unusual feathers within pieces of amber dating back 100 million years.
The logistics of climbing Everest
Posted 12-16-2018 | 2 comments
A look at what it really takes to reach the summit of Mt. Everest.

Humboldt squid takes a bite
Posted 12-10-2018 | 1 comment
A look at what happened when Steve Backshall met a rather large Humboldt squid.

Rainbow jelly tennis
Posted 12-3-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another ridiculous slow motion experiment involving jelly.

My name is whispered

Orange, hovering, atom-like figure
10-25-2018 | West kelowna

I saw a strange man
10-25-2018 | Croatia

Spontaneous exorcisms
10-25-2018 | Canada

Two children who didn't age
10-24-2018 | United States New York