Friday, December 13, 2019

Parrot orders shopping using Amazon Alexa

Posted on Tuesday, 18 December, 2018 | Comment icon 15 comments

Parrots and voice assistants don't mix. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Maurice van Bruggen
A parrot named Rocco has been driving his owner up the wall by ordering items using Amazon's voice assistant.
The cheeky African grey, who was originally kicked out by the UK's National Animal Welfare Trust (NAWT) for swearing too much, has since picked up an obsession with online shopping.

In addition to activating the virtual assistant's music player, Rocco has managed to inadvertently trigger the shopping list function by requesting strawberries, ice-cream and even a kettle.
Fortunately for the owner however, the device had been set up to avoid unauthorized purchases.

Rocco isn't the only parrot to have figured out how to trigger Amazon's Alexa voice assistant either - there have been several cases in recent years of the talkative birds activating Echo devices.

One example, which features another parrot with a fondness for strawberries, can be viewed below.

Source: Independent | Comments (15)

Tags: Parrot, Amazon

Comment icon #6 Posted by third_eye on 17 December, 2018, 16:00
Don't tell me, let me guess ... they delivered the wrong kind of crackers ?  ~
Comment icon #7 Posted by Torviking on 18 December, 2018, 19:43
This is great! Hugely funny.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Avalanche on 18 December, 2018, 21:06
I wonder who has to pay for that.
Comment icon #9 Posted by joc on 18 December, 2018, 21:11
I'm guessing...not the parrot!  Although he may pay with his life when the bills start coming in.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Avalanche on 18 December, 2018, 21:16
Have....
Comment icon #11 Posted by Seti42 on 18 December, 2018, 22:59
Yeah 'inadvertently'. I knew a guy who had an African Grey. Those things are eerily smart. They aren't just mimicking. They know the language of their humans.
Comment icon #12 Posted by AllPossible on 19 December, 2018, 2:25
Funny you say that mom's friend had 1. Very smart birds with perfect pronunciation. She would work the whole day and leave the radio on every day Mon-Fri. This parrot probably had a 100 word vocabulary, amazing. He also would say our names when he saw us. I was amazed
Comment icon #13 Posted by paperdyer on 19 December, 2018, 21:56
I had bought my Mom a Mynah bird.  He did learn how to swear.  He'd call the dog in my Mom's voice.  The dog would run into the living room looking for her.  The bird would then laugh at the dog as if he knew it was funny.  He got my Dad & I in trouble.  We were sitting on the front porch.  A hot girl walked by and the bird decided to do the wolf whistle.  She thought we did it.  Luckily the bird did it again so she believed us.  It's a good thing Alexa and Google Assistant weren't around then.  I'd hate to see what he would have ordered.  He had a fairly large vocabulary and could combine... [More]
Comment icon #14 Posted by Mantis914 on 20 December, 2018, 16:32
I had a parrot long ago.  I can vouch for them always thinking with their stomach.  The first word he learned was "Apple" the next one was "Food".  Never heard a peep about crackers although he loved red peppers the really hot variety that you can feel the fumes coming from his mouth.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Maraki on 7 January, 2019, 20:53
This is not a video of Rocco. Someone has been using videos of other parrots with this story whichhas shown up in many places. Recently they used videos of a parrot named Petra who has a YouTube channel called PetraGrey

6611988

Giant telescope to join the search for alien life
12-13-2019
The world's largest filled-aperture radio telescope is about to start operating after several years of testing.
Deepest point on continental Earth discovered
12-13-2019
Scientists have identified an enormous land-based canyon that descends 11,500ft beneath sea level.
Cave painting depicts world's oldest cryptid
12-13-2019
A cave painting dating back 44,000 years shows the earliest known depiction of a supernatural creature.
Pigeons spotted wearing tiny cowboy hats
12-12-2019
Efforts are underway to track down who is responsible for affixing small hats to the heads of pigeons in Las Vegas.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia