Sunday, December 15, 2019

Pennsylvania celebrates Groundhog Day (again)

Posted on Saturday, 2 February, 2019 | Comment icon 26 comments

The ceremony has been held every year for over a century. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Anthony Quintano
World-famous groundhog Punxsatawney Phil emerged from his hole in front of crowds of onlookers earlier today.
Despite its unusual premise, the Groundhog Day ceremony, which was heavily featured in the 1993 Bill Murray movie of the same name, is in fact a very real event that continues to be celebrated at the beginning of February each year in Pennsylvania.

Its titular star - Punxsatawney Phil - has been emerging from his hole on Gobbler's Knob every year for 133 years to reveal whether or not there will be six more weeks of winter.

According to tradition, if Phil does not see his shadow, there will be an early spring.
This year's ceremony, which saw a crowd of thousands gather for the groundhog's appearance, was no exception as he was lifted in to the air by the president of the Punxsatawney Groundhog Club.

"Down in my burrow on long winter nights, I listen to tunes to keep my mind right, from Motown to country, to rap, even Bach, there's Aretha and Elvis, yeah The Beatles rock."

"The cheers at the Knob really give me a thrill, everyone singing to the world 'Phil, Phil, Phil'."

"But predicting the weather, that's my song, for 133 years I've never been wrong.So, is it early spring or more winter forecast? Stop the music, here is my forecast:"

"Faithful followers, there is no shadow of me - a beautiful spring it shall be!"

Source: Sky News | Comments (26)

Tags: Groundhog Day

Comment icon #17 Posted by and then on 3 February, 2019, 3:35
Touche!  Have fun and be safe.  Cabs are one hell of a lot less expensive than the alternatives.  I speak from experience
Comment icon #18 Posted by Vlad the Mighty on 3 February, 2019, 7:31
Rather like the Irish method of weather forecasting. If you can see the hills, it'll rain soon. If you can't see them, it's already raining.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Vlad the Mighty on 3 February, 2019, 7:33
the look on his adorable little face says it all. "Put me back right now, or that hand, gloved as it is, will feel the consequences."
Comment icon #20 Posted by susieice on 3 February, 2019, 7:58
Got him a holiday and a movie! Goes back to the mid 1800's.
Comment icon #21 Posted by susieice on 3 February, 2019, 8:05
Actually that little groundhog is well taken care of for it's natural life.
Comment icon #22 Posted by skliss on 4 February, 2019, 0:11
My friend went to IUP Punxatawney...the whole thing is an excuse for drunken revelry, not that you need much of an excuse in college. When she went there Phil and his wife Phyllis lived the rest of the year in the Library according to her.
Comment icon #23 Posted by susieice on 4 February, 2019, 1:57
Yes. Phil and Phyllis still live there. In an indoor attachment though they go out on occasion. They are really quite pampered. lol They're fed like royalty and love corn on the cob. https://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/02/groundhog_phil_do_rest_of_year.html
Comment icon #24 Posted by trevor borocz johnson on 4 February, 2019, 17:59
I think they do it to make light of things that can't be explained. Maybe the invention of the holiday in 1887 was to mark a time when they were able to start predicting the weather, and they were poking fun of old traditions. Predicting stuff using methods that are unexplained like dreams of storms, and prophecy has a history of being dangerous for those who prophecy I believe, so maybe its help for those people, to shake off the evil that follows them through the darkness.
Comment icon #25 Posted by Princess Serenity on 5 February, 2019, 21:07
This animal better be right!
Comment icon #26 Posted by paperdyer on 6 February, 2019, 4:13
Most traditions become idiotic to people eventually.  It's just a fun holiday.  An excuse to take a day off from work and school and eat and drink all day. Also helps the local economy with the influx of tourists.

Thylacine hunter to spend two years in the bush
12-14-2019
Neil Waters is preparing to spend two years living in the Australian bush in an effort to capture a live thylacine.
Human lifespan is only 38 years, study claims
12-14-2019
A new method for determining lifespans from DNA has offered up a perplexing figure for our 'natural' lifespan.
Fish farmers rescue eagle from giant octopus
12-14-2019
The struggling animals were recently encountered off the northwest tip of Canada's Vancouver Island.
Giant telescope to join the search for alien life
12-13-2019
The world's largest filled-aperture radio telescope is about to start operating after several years of testing.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia