Saturday, August 24, 2019

Woman returns from holiday with snake in shoe

Posted on Monday, 25 February, 2019 | Comment icon 6 comments

Check your luggage before boarding the plane for home. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Oliver Neuman
A woman who had been visiting her daughter in Australia returned to Scotland with an unexpected stowaway.
72-year-old Moira Boxall from Sterling, Scotland had traveled all the way home from Queenland, Australia without realizing that a snake had taken up residence inside her luggage.

She first became aware of the reptile when it woke her up in the early hours of the morning.

"Three weeks ago I was woken up in the middle of the night with a crash in my bedroom," she said. "I saw a snake on the floor slithering along by a skirting board, it had knocked a plant pot over."

After an extensive search of the house however, no sign of the elusive serpent could be found.

It wasn't until around two weeks later that she discovered to her horror that the snake had been hiding inside one of the shoes that she had taken home from Australia in her luggage.

"I was in an awful state of shock," she said.

Fortunately the snake, which turned out to be a non-venomous spotted python, was quickly caught by a handler from the Scottish SPCA and taken away to be rehomed.

"I had been travelling for about 48 hours from Mackay to Glasgow, with a few stops in between," said Moira. "It must have lived without food, but I heard sometimes they can go into hibernation."

"It was in my suitcase all that time in the hold, it must have been very cold."

Source: Scotsman | Comments (6)

Tags: Snake

Comment icon #1 Posted by AstralHorus on 25 February, 2019, 23:33
Lol poor guy just saw her shoe as a nice warm dark hiding spot. Then got whisked away on a cold journey. Reptiles are quite fascinating, they can go months and even years without eating in a state of brumation.
Comment icon #2 Posted by AllPossible on 25 February, 2019, 23:58
I would not be able to sleep until I found that damn thing.. How do u go back to sleep knowing you have a snake in the house?
Comment icon #3 Posted by AstralHorus on 26 February, 2019, 0:27
I think Im biased as I already have one as a pet xD
Comment icon #4 Posted by EnderOTD on 27 February, 2019, 2:20
Breaking News:
Comment icon #5 Posted by paperdyer on 1 March, 2019, 1:15
 The snake may not have been venomous, just a constrictor that can squeeze you to death.  Big upgrade.  BTW - I hate snakes, gators and crocs.  I respect them as well, but woud prefer if there weren't any of them.
Comment icon #6 Posted by purrrpetrator on 1 March, 2019, 14:51
Not the first time that's happened

City offers $1.1M for proof that it doesn't exist
8-23-2019
A group in Bielefeld, Germany is offering a hefty cash prize to anyone who can prove that the city doesn't exist.
Russia's gun-toting robot flies to the ISS
8-23-2019
The humanoid contraption was the only passenger aboard a Soyuz capsule that launched on Wednesday.
Alien life forms could glow, say scientists
8-23-2019
It may be possible to detect signs of extraterrestrial life on a distant world by picking up its biofluorescence.
Woman reels in weird fish with two mouths
8-22-2019
Debbie Geddes had been fishing in Lake Champlain with her husband when she caught this peculiar specimen.
A visit from beyond
8-20-2019 | Australia

A strange voice
8-5-2019 | St. Catharines Ontario.

House vibrates
7-20-2019 | Northern part of lower Michigan

Sudden writing on hand
7-20-2019 | England

Spontaneous exorcisms
7-5-2019 | Ontario

A call from 'The Lobster'
7-5-2019 | Russia

Witnessing tree spirits
6-25-2019 | Ontario

I didn't move my blankets
6-25-2019 | Spring, TX

Bitten by a spirit?...true story
6-15-2019 | Dallas, Tx