Sunday, August 25, 2019

'Sleeping Beauty' naps for weeks at a time

Posted on Monday, 25 March, 2019 | Comment icon 6 comments

Rhoda can spend weeks at a time in bed. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Paul Sapiano
A woman with a rare sleeping disorder can sometimes spend weeks sleeping up to 22 hours a day.
21-year-old Rhoda Rodriguez-Diaz suffers from an extremely rare condition known as Kleine-Levin or 'Sleeping Beauty' syndrome which makes it very difficult for her to lead a normal life.

The condition manifests itself in the form of episodes of extreme tiredness that can cause her to sleep for up to three weeks at a time, waking only for brief periods to eat and go to the bathroom.

"Life goes on whilst I'm sleeping," she said. "Reality hits me when I wake up and realize I've missed like a week of my life. I feel a huge setback when it does happen."

"I miss out on so much. That's the hardest part of it."

"It's hard to explain to people where I have been. Because it's so rare a lot of people struggle to understand. It's really annoying when people call me lazy. "

Last year the condition caused her to miss exams and drop out of courses she was attending, however she has since re-enrolled and hopes to be able to see things through this time.

While there is no cure, sufferers often grow out of the condition eventually.

"I'm more aware of it now," said Rhoda. "I know when I'm going to have an episode. It used to feel like I was in a dream. It's such a surreal feeling. It feels like you're not really there. This is just a hiccup in my life and I am just waiting until it fades out. I want to be taken serious in life and this isn't helping."

Source: Fox News | Comments (6)

Tags: Sleeping

Comment icon #1 Posted by Piney on 25 March, 2019, 18:59
Why are they letting her eat junk food?????
Comment icon #2 Posted by acute on 25 March, 2019, 19:10
So many jokes, Too many Mods.
Comment icon #3 Posted by AllPossible on 26 March, 2019, 2:24
Next movie starring Rodriguez... "Hibernation is a MF"
Comment icon #4 Posted by Gertdoggy on 26 March, 2019, 5:40
I think my brother suffers from the same
Comment icon #5 Posted by LucidElement on 26 March, 2019, 14:23
I saw a documentary about this one time, another british individual . He would be walking and he just falls over and sleeps. Literally he is just walking then he collapses and falls asleep. Crazy!
Comment icon #6 Posted by DanL on 27 March, 2019, 3:02
Suddenly just falling asleep and falling sounds a lot more like narcolepsy.

8-year-old steals parents' car twice in one week
8-24-2019
A young driving fan from Germany ended up crashing after repeatedly taking his parents' car out on a joyride.
NASA is investigating 'first crime in space'
8-24-2019
The case is believed to be the first time that someone has been accused of committing a crime aboard the ISS.
Homeowner films 'ghost' on security camera
8-24-2019
Footage recorded inside a Long Island home earlier this month shows a ghostly shape entering through the door.
City offers $1.1M for proof that it doesn't exist
8-23-2019
A group in Bielefeld, Germany is offering a hefty cash prize to anyone who can prove that the city doesn't exist.
A visit from beyond
8-20-2019 | Australia

A strange voice
8-5-2019 | St. Catharines Ontario.

House vibrates
7-20-2019 | Northern part of lower Michigan

Sudden writing on hand
7-20-2019 | England

Spontaneous exorcisms
7-5-2019 | Ontario

A call from 'The Lobster'
7-5-2019 | Russia

Witnessing tree spirits
6-25-2019 | Ontario

I didn't move my blankets
6-25-2019 | Spring, TX

Bitten by a spirit?...true story
6-15-2019 | Dallas, Tx