Monday, July 13, 2020

'Sleeping Beauty' naps for weeks at a time

Posted on Monday, 25 March, 2019 | Comment icon 6 comments

Rhoda can spend weeks at a time in bed. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Paul Sapiano
A woman with a rare sleeping disorder can sometimes spend weeks sleeping up to 22 hours a day.
21-year-old Rhoda Rodriguez-Diaz suffers from an extremely rare condition known as Kleine-Levin or 'Sleeping Beauty' syndrome which makes it very difficult for her to lead a normal life.

The condition manifests itself in the form of episodes of extreme tiredness that can cause her to sleep for up to three weeks at a time, waking only for brief periods to eat and go to the bathroom.

"Life goes on whilst I'm sleeping," she said. "Reality hits me when I wake up and realize I've missed like a week of my life. I feel a huge setback when it does happen."

"I miss out on so much. That's the hardest part of it."
"It's hard to explain to people where I have been. Because it's so rare a lot of people struggle to understand. It's really annoying when people call me lazy. "

Last year the condition caused her to miss exams and drop out of courses she was attending, however she has since re-enrolled and hopes to be able to see things through this time.

While there is no cure, sufferers often grow out of the condition eventually.

"I'm more aware of it now," said Rhoda. "I know when I'm going to have an episode. It used to feel like I was in a dream. It's such a surreal feeling. It feels like you're not really there. This is just a hiccup in my life and I am just waiting until it fades out. I want to be taken serious in life and this isn't helping."

Source: Fox News | Comments (6)

Tags: Sleeping

Comment icon #1 Posted by Piney on 25 March, 2019, 18:59
Why are they letting her eat junk food?????
Comment icon #2 Posted by acute on 25 March, 2019, 19:10
So many jokes, Too many Mods.
Comment icon #3 Posted by AllPossible on 26 March, 2019, 2:24
Next movie starring Rodriguez... "Hibernation is a MF"
Comment icon #4 Posted by Gertdoggy on 26 March, 2019, 5:40
I think my brother suffers from the same
Comment icon #5 Posted by LucidElement on 26 March, 2019, 14:23
I saw a documentary about this one time, another british individual . He would be walking and he just falls over and sleeps. Literally he is just walking then he collapses and falls asleep. Crazy!
Comment icon #6 Posted by DanL on 27 March, 2019, 3:02
Suddenly just falling asleep and falling sounds a lot more like narcolepsy.

Video footage of peculiar 'lizard' goes viral
7-12-2020
A short clip of a very strange looking lizard-like creature has left social media users scratching their heads.
'Alien-like' life form discovered on sea floor
7-12-2020
Scientists have photographed a very peculiar life form in a region referred to as the 'Forest of the Weird'.
AATIP head: 'Pentagon has more evidence'
7-11-2020
The former head of the US government's secretive UFO research program has recently spoken out.
'Vampire-slaying kit' goes up for auction
7-11-2020
A Gothic-looking box full of vampire-slaying paraphernalia is expected to fetch a hefty sum at auction.

Grim reaper-like visitation