Saturday, July 24, 2021

Amazon wants to use radar to track your sleep

Posted on Monday, 12 July, 2021 | Comment icon 23 comments

Do you use smart hub devices in your home ? Image Credit: Andres Urena
The online giant's next 'Echo' device will reportedly be capable of actively monitoring your sleeping habits.
Smart hub devices, which are often equipped with cameras and microphones, have long been the subject of privacy concerns and with good reason - not only are these devices watching and listening, but they are also recording footage and audio of what you are doing and storing it on remote servers.

For some, even an easily accessible mute button and the option to delete data from the server is not enough to justify having one of these devices around, yet it seems that companies like Google and Amazon are continuing to double down on the level of surveillance these devices are capable of by adding increasingly sensitive microphones and even entirely new types of sensor.

The latest addition is radar - something that has already made its way onto the latest Google Nest Hub smart display and now Amazon is looking for approval to add it to its next 'Echo' device as well.

The purpose of this functionality is to monitor the user's sleep patterns, however concerns have been raised over exactly what else a radar device in a person's home is capable of doing.
"The use of Radar Sensors in sleep tracking could improve awareness and management of sleep hygiene, which in turn could produce significant health benefits for many Americans," Amazon's FCC filing reads.

"Radar Sensors will allow consumers to recognize potential sleep issues."

It goes without saying, however, that a device in every room of your house equipped with microphones, cameras and radar has the potential to be incredibly intrusive.

Source: Tech Radar | Comments (23)

Tags: Amazon, Google

Comment icon #14 Posted by Seti42 on 14 July, 2021, 23:34
Smart devices don't work unless you have internet and wifi already in your home. If you have internet and wifi, you can use your PC or smartphone or tablet (which you also own, if you have internet/wifi in your home) to do all the things devices like Alexa do. It's totally unnecessary. Maybe if you don't have working hands and need something voice activated, it works...But you can also use voice to activate devices with screens (PC, tablet, smartphone) so you have actual visual feedback to any questions you ask. Basically, just use your PC or phone or tablet to do everything devices like Alexa... [More]
Comment icon #15 Posted by Nuclear Wessel on 15 July, 2021, 0:46
Not quite true. Smart devices don't necessarily require an internet connection. It seems like your argument for why it's "stupid and unnecessary" is that it basically serves the same function as other devices you may own? While the smart devices (assistant devices in this context) may be able to effectively serve the same function, they do come with their perks. Perhaps you're rummaging through your fridge and realize that you're out of a specific product/you need to make a phone call to somebody and you can't find your phone but because of Alexa/Google Dot, all you need to do is say "Call Mom... [More]
Comment icon #16 Posted by Seti42 on 15 July, 2021, 12:49
You're just justifying getting one. And it's not a "smart" device if it isn't connected to the internet or to another device like a phone or PC. That's the whole point. That's the "smart". Without internet access and/or a connection to another device, they're "dumb." That's fine, if it brings you joy, great. I like all sorts of toys too.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Nuclear Wessel on 15 July, 2021, 13:43
I don't have one nor do I actively desire getting one anytime soon, aside from my iPhone/TV (I don't even use my TV much). Yes, hence my response to your claim that "Smart devices don't work unless you have internet and wifi already in your home.": "Not quite true. Smart devices don't necessarily require an internet connection." A smart device is "an electronic device, generally connected to other devices OR networks (which doesn't necessitate the internet) via different wireless protocols such as Bluetooth, Zigbee, NFC, Wi-Fi, LiFi, 5G, etc., that can operate to some extent interactively and ... [More]
Comment icon #18 Posted by rashore on 15 July, 2021, 15:52
The Halo isn't a smart device like smartwatches are, and it does not use the internet or wi-fi... it uses bluetooth for syncing.
Comment icon #19 Posted by GlitterRose on 15 July, 2021, 19:00
There are already beds that track sleep habits.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Desertrat56 on 15 July, 2021, 19:12
my daughter has about 6 Alexa devices in her home.   I just bought a new tv and you can't get a non-smart tv.  So, what ever I say within earshot of the television is recorded I am sure.   I do have a new laptop and the camera is covered except when I zoom or face time.  Luckily my work compter has no sound card or camera.   Not needed for my work.  If I need to talk to people I have a headset. I saw an ad for a ring that does the same thing Amazon's radar device is supposed to do.  I think people with sleep problems need to just go out away from any cell towers and wifi and take a nap once a ... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by and then on 15 July, 2021, 19:40
If it has a battery connected then it's letting the grid know where it is at all times.  Powering down really doesn't change that.  You should watch a YT video that Snowden made about the use of cell phones for tracking that he did with CIA.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Orphalesion on 15 July, 2021, 20:27
I don't go quite that far, but I definitely don't want an Alexa. When I was visiting a friend in Canada we were talking about my return flight to Europe a day before my departure and about printing out my plane tickets. About a week after my return to Europe said friend messaged me that he suddenly got recommendations for cheap plane tickets and airline reviews and such on his computer and cell phone. Alexa listened, and did her work. I'm also sceptical that cell phone, and even less wifi, signals alone disturb sleep, because my wifi-router is in my bedroom and I sleep like a baby (unless I ge... [More]
Comment icon #23 Posted by Desertrat56 on 15 July, 2021, 20:37
Alexa isn't the only device that listens.  I have a habit of copying my photos from my phone to the computer and deleting them.   I do not use the cloud but apparently my phone does.    I was at lunch with a friend telling her about a trip I took with my daughter and grandson over a year ago (then, now 3 years ago) and I mentioned the place we went.  At some point I opened my phone for some reason (probably to see what time it was) and there were photos I took on that trip.  As if the phone thought I would like to show them to my friend.

191141

Uri Geller claims that he saw aliens at NASA
7-24-2021
Celebrity spoon-bender Uri Geller claims that he saw 'refrigerated aliens' during his time working with NASA.
Mars InSight mission unveils surprising secrets
7-23-2021
The space probe, which landed in 2018, has revealed some surprising findings about the planet's interior.
Real-life 'revenant' rescued after bear attack
7-23-2021
A man has been rescued from the Alaskan wilderness after enduring repeated attacks by a grizzly bear.
USAF report references 'defensive force fields'
7-22-2021
The report, which focuses on directed energy weapons, suggests that force fields could soon become a reality.
Mystery 'troll' captured on camera
4-24-2021 | Marsta, Sweden

My Grandfather's NDE
4-24-2021 | Oakland, California

The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball