We are now on Patreon! Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site.

Sunday, December 5, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon  
You are viewing: Home > News > Bizarre > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )  
Bizarre

Man's chest catches fire during heart surgery

June 3, 2019 | Comment icon 13 comments



Fortunately the fire in this case did not cause any injury. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Surgeons managed to accidentally set a man's chest cavity on fire during an operation in Australia.
The freak accident involved a 60-year-old man who had been suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and needed emergency surgery for a tear in his aortic artery.

During the procedure, doctors accidentally punctured an area of inflated lung tissue, causing air to leak out and requiring them to give the patient a larger amount of supplemental oxygen.

This, coupled with the use of an electrocautery device, managed to set the surgical gauze on fire.
Fortunately the blaze was extinguished pretty much straight away and the man was not injured. The surgical procedure itself continued as planned and the aortic artery was successfully repaired.

Even so, the case has lead to a review of fire training and fire prevention strategies during surgery.

"Surgeons and anaesthetists need to be aware that fires can occur in the chest cavity if a lung is damaged or there is an air leak for any reason, and that patients with COPD are at increased risk," said study lead author Dr. Ruth Shaylor of the Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Medicine at Austin Health in Melbourne, Australia.

Source: Live Science | Comments (13)



Unexplained Mysteries is now on Patreon!

Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site and gain access to a range of perks including a subscriber badge, ad-free browsing, an exclusive weekly newsletter, sneak peaks of upcoming features and more.
23 / 25  
We are 92% of the way to our second Patreon subscriber target - thank you!
Recent comments on this story
Comment icon #4 Posted by Stiff 3 years ago
The things people will do to see an old flame.
Comment icon #5 Posted by XenoFish 3 years ago
"We need to cauterize it. Nurse, bring the flamethrower."
Comment icon #6 Posted by and then 3 years ago
Working in X-Ray, I've stood in on many surgeries and seen some disquieting things but the worst was the smell of the electrocautery device.  Imagine a soldering iron sizzling through pieces and parts that are leaking blood  
Comment icon #7 Posted by pallidin 3 years ago
Dang. Talk about heart-burn...
Comment icon #8 Posted by AllPossible 3 years ago
Imagine going into heart surgery & waking up to being on fire. Wow. "Your not in hell Bob, your on freaking fire on the operating table!!!"
Comment icon #9 Posted by TripGun 3 years ago
Cauterized
Comment icon #10 Posted by Gary Meadows 3 years ago
Ugh the jokes... ..... Ugh.
Comment icon #11 Posted by LucidElement 3 years ago
Does that count for really bad heart burn? (disregard - Pallidin beat me to it lol)
Comment icon #12 Posted by LucidElement 3 years ago
damn hahahah i just saw you posted that lol .. i said same thing just now!
Comment icon #13 Posted by XenoFish 3 years ago
You mean being a machinist and welder. 


Please Login or Register to post a comment.


Recent news and articles