Sunday, October 13, 2019

'Wearable chair' lets you sit down anywhere

Posted on Sunday, 22 September, 2019 | Comment icon 19 comments

Could this be the future of commuting ? Image Credit: LEX
Known as LEX, this bizarre new wearable invention has been described as 'an extension of your body.'
While finding a place to sit down can be a genuine problem at times, permanently wearing a fold-out chair around your waist doesn't exactly seem like the ideal solution.

Designed by Astride Bionix, LEX can be equipped within 30 seconds and weighs around 3 pounds.

The chair's legs, which can either dangle behind the wearer or be clipped to the seat, can be folded down and deployed anywhere, enabling the wearer to sit wherever they might be.

But just how practical is it ?

Aside from the inconvenience of having to strap yourself into the device and lug it around, having it wrapped around your waist and thighs makes sitting in a conventional chair rather difficult.

There's also the question of stability and potential injury from falling over while sitting on it.

Factor in the $250 price tag and it seems unlikely that the device is going to catch on anytime soon.

Source: Vice.com | Comments (19)

Tags: LEX, Chair

Comment icon #10 Posted by Michelle on 23 September, 2019, 2:12
They must be for young, obese progressives, since it is Seattle.  The closest thing I've seen to that are Segways used in huge warehouses.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Calibeliever on 23 September, 2019, 17:27
I'm 100% positive I would break my a$$ on this thing! hehe
Comment icon #12 Posted by OverSword on 23 September, 2019, 17:32
Turn it down a few percentage points.  These things are a gyroscope and won't tip easily.  I've seen some pretty uncoordinated looking people riding them easily.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Desertrat56 on 23 September, 2019, 17:48
My grandson has the two wheel contraption that was shown at the beginning of the video.  He and his friend love riding that up and down the street.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Farmer77 on 23 September, 2019, 18:07
Pixar out there predicting the future
Comment icon #15 Posted by Calibeliever on 23 September, 2019, 18:53
OK, I'll go to 97%, but only reluctantly. As soon as I saw the young guy go face first trying to go up a hill, I was like "yup, I'm in the dirt" lol. Or even more fun, I get going too fast downhill hahaha.
Comment icon #16 Posted by OverSword on 23 September, 2019, 19:11
Yeah but if you notice the guy in the video is cruising around after about an hour on all kinds of different terrain.  I'm sure they are much easier on the sidewalk going about 5 mph.
Comment icon #17 Posted by highdesert50 on 24 September, 2019, 7:59
Egad, I can hardly wait for the porta-potty attachment.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Buzz_Light_Year on 24 September, 2019, 20:50
Don't give California any ideas.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Jon the frog on 25 September, 2019, 1:33
It would work wonderful in the snow and ice that we have here.... But cool idea anyway.

Arachnophobe finds a live spider in his ear
10-13-2019
When Liam Gomez felt a peculiar sensation in his ear, it signalled the beginning of his worst nightmare.
Analyst: 'US needs to investigate Navy UFOs'
10-13-2019
Marik Von Rennenkampff maintains that it's important for the US to investigate recent pilot accounts of UFOs.
DIA staff: 'Wellington Archives are haunted'
10-13-2019
New Zealand's Department of Internal Affairs has been plagued by reports of ghosts, according to internal files.
Spate of UK pigeon deaths declared a mystery
10-12-2019
Authorities investigating a spate of mystery bird deaths have been unable to come up with an explanation.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ