Friday, November 15, 2019

New 'invisibility cloak' is remarkably effective

Posted on Friday, 18 October, 2019 | Comment icon 13 comments

The material can hide just about anything. Image Credit: YouTube / Hyperstealth Corp
A Canadian company has come up with a new material that can render large objects almost totally invisible.
Known as Quantum Stealth, the new invisibility cloak takes the form of a thin, inexpensive material that makes objects vanish from sight even though the background is still visible.

Requiring no power source, it works by bending the light in a very specific way.

The brainchild of Canadian camouflage design company Hyperstealth Biotechnology, the new material can conceal the presence of entire vehicles and could prove invaluable on the battlefield.

It even works for non-visible wavelengths from mid- and near-ultraviolet to the infrared.

While it's not quite Harry Potter, the technology in nonetheless very impressive.

A video demonstrating the material in action can be viewed below.

Source: IFL Science | Comments (13)

Tags: Invisible

Comment icon #4 Posted by cathya on 18 October, 2019, 18:23
Very cool.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Robotic Jew on 18 October, 2019, 18:56
I need this for my desk at work!
Comment icon #6 Posted by Bed of chaos on 18 October, 2019, 21:04
Very cool. I fiddle around with optical illusions (and mirrors) for example u can take something like large vanity mirror, put in middle of forest, almost easily create illusion of invisibility. I'm curious if there's another cloak on opposite side of wall. Illusions can be wickedly deceptive yet simple.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Seti42 on 19 October, 2019, 0:00
I want some! Hopefully a few talented visual artists will get to play with it in the near future. I'd love to see this stuff in museums much more than as a tool of warfare...
Comment icon #8 Posted by paperdyer on 19 October, 2019, 4:08
I needed this for my office before I retired Now I need  it for my "man cave".
Comment icon #9 Posted by the13bats on 19 October, 2019, 4:19
The headless living lady a famous sideshow illusion is done something like that, oops spoiler.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Tom1200 on 19 October, 2019, 11:49
I need the exact opposite - a screen that makes it look like I'm actually at work!  Something life-size, made out of lightweight material like a large board of... card?  And then cut to shape.  Wow! I'm gonna patent this technology as soon as I perfect it.  Now, if only I had a catchy name for this?   wrt the material - it certainly is clever: the screen is collecting light from the edges at the back of the curve and carrying it to the front.  This is very much the way fibre-optic bundles have been used in endoscopes for decades, but I suspect these screens use thin sheets.  Note how it needs ... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by pallidin on 19 October, 2019, 16:44
Wow. I wonder if one can buy a small paper-sized sheet of it to play around with, or, maybe it's restricted or too expensive.
Comment icon #12 Posted by pbarosso on 20 October, 2019, 16:54
honestly big deal. see how the "cloak" has to be curved? well there is a focal point of that curve and its about 20 inches behind it. when objects are close to it it doesnt work. its probably that plastic that has those groves in it that they use for those 3D shifting illusions on kids toys...the ones that you look at one way and then as you move your head side to side the image shifts and looks 3D. cool, but definitely not high tech.
Comment icon #13 Posted by godnodog on 20 October, 2019, 17:17
So where can I buy this, I mean I am going to war in females locker rooms, I need to hide, you know data gathering mostly photographic stuff

'Unicorn puppy' has a tail on its forehead
11-15-2019
Meet Narwhal, an adorable rescue dog from Missouri who happens to have a very unusual appendage.
Fossil tooth sheds light on world's largest ape
11-14-2019
Standing up to three meters tall, Gigantopithecus was the largest ape to ever walk the face of the Earth.
Weird cloud formation sparks UFO speculation
11-14-2019
This large circular 'hole' in the clouds over North Carolina left social media users scratching their heads this week.
Shots fired during attempted 'Bigfoot' break-in
11-14-2019
A man in Bainbridge Township, Ohio told police that he had been trying to dissuade an intruding Sasquatch.
The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia