Friday, May 29, 2020

Mermaid-like squid captured on deep-sea cam

Posted on Wednesday, 6 November, 2019 | Comment icon 14 comments

Could sightings like this have been the origin of the mermaid myth ? Image Credit: NOAA
Researchers have posted up an eerie image showing the human-like silhouette of a large cephalopod.
Sporting what could almost be mistaken for a mermaid's tail and a head of Medusa-like tentacled hair, this ghostly silhouette is actually that of a large squid - a veritable monster in its own right given that some species of deep-sea cephalopod have been rumored to grow up to 66ft in length.

The photograph was captured off the east coast of North America by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) by a camera sled tethered to a research vessel.

The blue object is a remote-operated vehicle which is also equipped with its own camera.
The image has been cited as an example of how early mariners who sailed the seas centuries ago may have mistaken uncommon types of sea creatures for mermaids and other legendary monsters.

It was captured during the NOAA's Deep Search 2019 mission which focused on exploring and documenting deepwater habitats in the Atlantic Ocean.

Some online users have likened the silhouetted squid to a giant spider or scorpion.

"Ever get the feeling you're being watched ?" the image caption reads.

Source: Charlotte Observer | Comments (14)

Tags: Giant Squid, Mermaid

Comment icon #5 Posted by Stiff on 6 November, 2019, 21:48
Wait! Now I do. I see a little silhouetto of a man - a Scaramouche, doing the fandango.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Aardvark-DK on 7 November, 2019, 6:39
I agree with Hammerclaw, it looks sketched, eerie and a bit surreal... But fascinating...
Comment icon #7 Posted by MissJatti on 7 November, 2019, 6:58
Human??? Mermaid?? Silhouette?? Where? In that image.. errrrr.... OKay
Comment icon #8 Posted by RoofGardener on 7 November, 2019, 8:39
Hmm.. I somewhat doubt that this is the origin of the Mermaid myth. People have fantasised about hybrid human-animal combination for thousands of years. Just look at the Egyptian deities.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Gwynbleidd on 7 November, 2019, 9:47
I see what could be the outline of a woman perfectly.  If you were looking at a woman, try to picture her upside-down underwater of course.  Her hair is streaming around and spread out which are the black spindly things on the bottom left.  Her arms you could mistake for two spindly things coming out the sides.  The torso slims down from the broader shoulders towards a slender waist and hips, where long legs are seen alongside each other towards the top right.   Sorry, that's the best I can do in describing what I can see.   I think it's quite beautiful actually.
Comment icon #10 Posted by joc on 7 November, 2019, 13:57
I instinctively knew that this thing would not resemble a human or a mermaid.  I was not proven wrong.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Matt221 on 7 November, 2019, 19:26
That mermaid looks like a badly draw on spidery thin squidy thing
Comment icon #12 Posted by Dezmond on 8 November, 2019, 13:23
Clicked the to see the actual image cause I thought this was just a commercial-free image they used for the article. Only to see this exact image, which for me also isn't a silhouette of a human/mermaid :D
Comment icon #13 Posted by Gwynbleidd on 9 November, 2019, 5:49
When I look at things I also see them in an abstract way.   Perhaps that's why I can see the female form.   I've ended up taking the pic and putting some boobs on it so you can see it.   Can you see what is an abstract female form now?
Comment icon #14 Posted by Stiff on 9 November, 2019, 15:01
See it? Damn. Now I want to play with it.

Monkey steals coronavirus blood samples
5-29-2020
Blood samples from three coronavirus patients were stolen by a monkey in the city of Meerut earlier today.
Pakistani 'spy' pigeon is captured by police
5-29-2020
A pigeon carrying a 'coded message' was recently captured by authorities in India on suspicion of spying.
Stunning Roman mosaic floor unearthed in Italy
5-29-2020
Surveyors working on a vineyard in northern Italy have discovered a remarkably well-preserved Roman mosaic.
Eerie shadow figure captured on hotel CCTV
5-28-2020
Footage captured earlier this month on a hotel CCTV camera seems to show a ghostly figure in a hallway.
Orb of light in room
5-9-2020 | USA/Texas/Waco

Not sleeping alone
5-9-2020 | Los Angeles

Glowing red eyes
5-9-2020 | Fields, Louisiana

Two creature sightings
5-1-2020 | Augusta and Louisana

My haunted home
5-1-2020 | Rainham, Essex, UK

In over my head
3-3-2020 | CA

Stranger at night
3-3-2020 | Merritt Island, FL, U.S.

The babysitter