Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Aliens may be among us, says former astronaut

Posted on Monday, 6 January, 2020 | Comment icon 32 comments

Sharman was the first Brit in space. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Anne-Katrin Purkiss
Britain's first ever astronaut - Dr. Helen Sharman - is certain that we are not alone in the universe.
The first woman ever to visit the Mir space station, Sharman blasted off aboard a Soyuz spacecraft as part of the UK's project Juno on May 18th, 1991 and spent approximately 8 days in space.

Competition for the position had been fierce and she was picked from over 13,000 candidates.

"Self-belief and a can-do attitude changed my life," she said. "I ticked all the boxes, but thought they wouldn't choose me so I wouldn't bother [applying]. By the time I got home I'd realized that if I didn't actually apply, then they couldn't choose me."

Now, more than 28 years on from her brief spell in space, the memory of the trip is as strong as ever.

"There's no greater beauty than looking at the Earth from up high," she said.
"I'll never forget the first time I saw it."

On the topic of extraterrestrial life, Sharman remains confident that we are not alone.

"Aliens exist, there's no two ways about it," she told Observer Magazine. "There are so many billions of stars out there in the universe that there must be all sorts of forms of life."

"Will they be like you and me, made up of carbon and nitrogen? Maybe not."

"It's possible they're right here right now and we simply can't see them."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (32)

Tags: Alien, Extraterrestrial

Comment icon #23 Posted by XenoFish on 5 January, 2020, 23:24
There is literally no way to win this is there?
Comment icon #24 Posted by Piney on 5 January, 2020, 23:27
You can't introduce a new organism in a life cycle without disturbing it.
Comment icon #25 Posted by XenoFish on 5 January, 2020, 23:28
I was thinking more along the lines of something that becomes a part of it. Like virus that adapts to resist antibiotics. I get your point and I'll keep my thoughts to myself I guess.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Piney on 5 January, 2020, 23:31
And does harm rather than become part of the microbiome.
Comment icon #27 Posted by Dejarma on 5 January, 2020, 23:41
yep exactly... This post I'm quoting is a good example of pure, straight forward logic, rational thinking, basic common sense & the bleeding obvious= this will ALWAYS rule, despite what 'some' believe... You can aim Piney's words at bigfoot & the loch ness monster so called mystery.... Good words, Pin me ol' mate
Comment icon #28 Posted by joc on 5 January, 2020, 23:46
An oil-eating bacterium?  Maybe the aliens are not bacterium...but still eat oil.  Maybe they have been here for awhile ....guiding us into oil exploration for their own benefit!  Maybe 'fracking' is their latest 'restaurant'.  Maybe they coerced Obama into blowing up the BP oil rig...so they could feed an new generation of their kind...i.e. oil eating bacterium, allegedly created by scientists.
Comment icon #29 Posted by Piney on 5 January, 2020, 23:50
There might be a oil producing extremophile. At least there are rumours of one.
Comment icon #30 Posted by Dejarma on 6 January, 2020, 0:24
I guess technically this whole planet can be classed as alien seeing we're initially made up of stuff from: 'out there'?
Comment icon #31 Posted by Rlyeh on 6 January, 2020, 9:01
This doctor should be applying the scientific principle of investigation before making such baseless assertions.
Comment icon #32 Posted by bigjonalien on 7 January, 2020, 19:46
If we are sending robots to other planets can u imagine wat is being sent to ours!

'Dancing dragon' fossil is velociraptor relative
1-21-2020
Palaeontologists have compared the feathers of a 120 million-year-old dinosaur to those of modern birds.
Ohio town sees mystery flashes, vibrations
1-21-2020
Recently released footage shows the moment the skies over Bethel, Ohio suddenly lit up in multiple colors.
US and UK sign new treaty to protect Titanic
1-21-2020
Access to the wreck of the world-famous vessel, which sank in 1912, has long remained a point of contention.
Are UFOs piloted by humans from the future ?
1-20-2020
Is it possible that unidentified flying objects are piloted, not by aliens, but by our own future descendants ?
Dog and Jamaican statue
1-10-2020 | Canada

Life changing experience
12-19-2019 | Australia

Unexplained smoke or fog
12-19-2019 | West Texas, USA

He came in the night
12-19-2019 | CA

My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA