Friday, December 4, 2020

This photo of a 'human-sized' bat is actually real

Posted on Friday, 3 July, 2020 | Comment icon 11 comments

That is one big bat... Image Credit: Twitter / @AlexJoestar622
A photograph of an enormous bat hanging upside-down from a ceiling has been doing the rounds online recently.
Social media has been buzzing over the last two days over a photograph of what is being touted as a 'human-sized' bat that someone caught on camera in what looks like a shed or garage.

It was posted up on Twitter by the user @AlexJoestar622 who wrote: "Remember when I told y'all about the Philippines having human-sized bats? Yeah, this was what I was talking about."

But does this image really show a giant bat or is it a hoax ?

Surprisingly, it is actually a real animal, however there are some caveats.
For one, the image is not new - it has appeared online before. Secondly, the bat, while enormous, is not quite the size of an adult human. Instead, it is only its wingspan that measures 5ft across.

It is also likely that the perspective of the photograph makes the bat appear larger than it actually is.

The species - the giant golden-crowned flying fox - is considered to be endangered due to deforestation, poaching and other destructive human activities.

Source: USA Today | Comments (11)

Tags: Bat

Comment icon #2 Posted by jethrofloyd on 3 July, 2020, 12:43
The only one 'human-sized' bat!
Comment icon #3 Posted by HandsomeGorilla on 3 July, 2020, 13:07
Photos like this always come in cycles. "NEVER BEFORE SEEN" literally seen by billions. Still cool, though. Not gonna lie, a bat that big would freak me out a bit. Even smaller bats flying around our department building makes my anxiety go nuts.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Seti42 on 3 July, 2020, 16:54
a 5' wingspan translates to an actual body size in the range of a large house cat or small dog. Much like a great grey owl or bald eagle. Yeah, that's "human-sized"...
Comment icon #5 Posted by HandsomeGorilla on 3 July, 2020, 17:55
In journalism school, they teach you that 'human sized' is anything 1' or more.
Comment icon #6 Posted by jowasmus on 3 July, 2020, 19:41
There's always been bats fluttering around where I live. It's not anything uncommon, but most people I know freak out when they figure out they are looking at a bat instead of a bird. I think people watch too many horror movies. About 20-25 years ago my sis-in-law called my brother home because a bat was attacking her in their car port in the middle of the day. It just found a place to sleep & she disturbed it. That thing nearly gave her a heart attack. I'm pretty sure that she gave it one as well because it was just laying there on the concrete where it moved to. We left it alone & it... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by DieChecker on 4 July, 2020, 7:39
I wonder how long it actually is? My baby boy is like 24 inches long and hes a human..... So human sized is relative.
Comment icon #8 Posted by MissJatti on 4 July, 2020, 9:53
Maybe Mothman is actually agiant golden-crowned flying fox
Comment icon #9 Posted by XenoFish on 4 July, 2020, 17:52
I am vengence! I am the night! I am Man-Bat!
Comment icon #10 Posted by jbondo on 10 July, 2020, 18:24
These bats weigh about 3 lbs. Without the wings, they are not all that impressive.
Comment icon #11 Posted by alexasmachine on 12 July, 2020, 14:42
I've heard some people say they've seen Thunder bird's, some havd0e seen humanoid creatures too which I believe. Why? Bcz no ohe is going make up something like that especially with their jpb & family's hanging in the midst.

Leaked Pentagon UFO photograph emerges
12-4-2020
An intriguing image of a mysterious silver object hovering motionless in the sky has been published online.
'Adolf Hitler' wins local election in Namibia
12-4-2020
A local election candidate with a rather unfortunate name won 85% of the vote in the town of Ompundja.
A third monolith has shown up in California
12-3-2020
The ongoing mystery of the metallic monoliths appearing around the world is showing no signs of slowing down.
Lottery probed after 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 are drawn
12-3-2020
South Africa's national lottery has come under scrutiny after a perfect progression of numbers was drawn.
The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball