We are now on Patreon! Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site.

Sunday, December 5, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Natural World > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Natural World

This photo of a 'human-sized' bat is actually real

July 3, 2020 | Comment icon 11 comments

That is one big bat... Image Credit: Twitter / @AlexJoestar622
A photograph of an enormous bat hanging upside-down from a ceiling has been doing the rounds online recently.
Social media has been buzzing over the last two days over a photograph of what is being touted as a 'human-sized' bat that someone caught on camera in what looks like a shed or garage.

It was posted up on Twitter by the user @AlexJoestar622 who wrote: "Remember when I told y'all about the Philippines having human-sized bats? Yeah, this was what I was talking about."

But does this image really show a giant bat or is it a hoax ?

Surprisingly, it is actually a real animal, however there are some caveats.
For one, the image is not new - it has appeared online before. Secondly, the bat, while enormous, is not quite the size of an adult human. Instead, it is only its wingspan that measures 5ft across.

It is also likely that the perspective of the photograph makes the bat appear larger than it actually is.

The species - the giant golden-crowned flying fox - is considered to be endangered due to deforestation, poaching and other destructive human activities.

Source: USA Today | Comments (11)

Unexplained Mysteries is now on Patreon!

Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site and gain access to a range of perks including a subscriber badge, ad-free browsing, an exclusive weekly newsletter, sneak peaks of upcoming features and more.
23 / 25
We are 92% of the way to our second Patreon subscriber target - thank you!
Comment icon #2 Posted by jethrofloyd 1 year ago
The only one 'human-sized' bat!
Comment icon #3 Posted by HandsomeGorilla 1 year ago
Photos like this always come in cycles.  "NEVER BEFORE SEEN" literally seen by billions.  Still cool, though. Not gonna lie, a bat that big would freak me out a bit. Even smaller bats flying around our department building makes my anxiety go nuts.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Seti42 1 year ago
a 5' wingspan translates to an actual body size in the range of a large house cat or small dog. Much like a great grey owl or bald eagle. Yeah, that's "human-sized"...
Comment icon #5 Posted by HandsomeGorilla 1 year ago
In journalism school, they teach you that 'human sized' is anything 1' or more.
Comment icon #6 Posted by jowasmus 1 year ago
There's always been bats fluttering around where I live. It's not anything uncommon, but most people I know freak out when they figure out they are looking at a bat instead of a bird. I think people watch too many horror movies. About 20-25 years ago my sis-in-law called my brother home because a bat was attacking her in their car port in the middle of the day. It just found a place to sleep & she disturbed it. That thing nearly gave her a heart attack. I'm pretty sure that she gave it one as well because it was just laying there on the concrete where it moved to. We left it alone & it... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by DieChecker 1 year ago
I wonder how long it actually is? My baby boy is like 24 inches long and hes a human..... So human sized is relative.
Comment icon #8 Posted by MissJatti 1 year ago
Maybe Mothman is actually a giant golden-crowned flying fox
Comment icon #9 Posted by XenoFish 1 year ago
I am vengence! I am the night! I am Man-Bat!
Comment icon #10 Posted by jbondo 1 year ago
These bats weigh about 3 lbs. Without the wings, they are not all that impressive.
Comment icon #11 Posted by alexasmachine 1 year ago
I've heard some people say they've seen Thunder bird's, some havd0e seen humanoid creatures too which I believe. Why? Bcz no ohe is going make up something like that especially with their jpb & family's hanging in the midst.