We are now on Patreon! Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site.

Tuesday, November 30, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Extraterrestrial > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Extraterrestrial

Musk: 'seeking aliens is a waste of time'

February 13, 2021 | Comment icon 26 comments

Is the hunt for alien life a futile endeavour ? Image Credit: CC BY 3.0 John Masterson, CSIRO
During a recent interview, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk talked about aliens and the futility of looking for them.
With his sights set firmly on sending humans to Mars in the coming decades, Musk is certainly no stranger to fielding questions about the possibility of intelligent extraterrestrial life in the universe.

Speaking during an episode of The Joe Rogan Experience, Musk - who recently became the world's richest man - seemed somewhat skeptical about the topic.

"Honestly, I think I would know if there were aliens," he said. "I mean, if they wanted us to know [about them], they could just show up and walk down main street like 'hey, I'm an alien check me out.'"

"'Here's my spaceship, I just landed in the middle of Time Square.' [Then] we'd be like, 'Okay, we believe you.' They are very subtle, these aliens."
Rogen followed up by asking Musk how much he thought about UFOs during his work at SpaceX.

"Zero," he replied. "If they show up, I'm like, 'Great, this is new information' like, 'Where were you guys up until now?' If I see some evidence for aliens, I'll be the first [to be like] 'ahh aliens.'"

As for the hunt for evidence of alien life, Musk is adamant that this is a waste of time.

"If there are aliens, they are just very subtle," he said. "They're being pretty shy. So, as far as we can tell there's none nor are we seeing signals from any other solar system."

Source: Alt Press | Comments (26)

Unexplained Mysteries is now on Patreon!

Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site and gain access to a range of perks including a subscriber badge, ad-free browsing, an exclusive weekly newsletter, sneak peaks of upcoming features and more.
24 / 25
We are 96% of the way to our second Patreon subscriber target - thank you!
Comment icon #17 Posted by OpenMindedSceptic 10 months ago
Why would aliens make themselves overtly known to humans? Humans are here but, we will be wiped out in due course. Given the vastness of space, there'd be little point in reaching out as we won't be here by the time they arrive. Far better: study water,geology, plants... stuff that has real longevity. If they happen to overtly arrive and we are still here then that's a happy coincidence.
Comment icon #18 Posted by pallidin 10 months ago
Of course ET-Aliens exist. My wife has often exclaimed to myself and others that I'm from another planet.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Abramelin 10 months ago
You mean you disagreed with her on something? Yeah, I know the feeling.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Hyperionxvii 10 months ago
But, Elon, who's going to build the next pyramids? I don't agree it's a waste of time to look. But what I think he means, is that it's a waste of time right now because if there are any intelligent aliens out there, they're likely too far away for us to make contact with our current technology. And if any of them were actually visiting us, we'd know. They obviously are not.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Hyperionxvii 10 months ago
Maybe. We have to know if there's beings so advanced that they can traverse interstellar space, we'd be like bugs compared to them technologically. You know what happens when more technologically advanced civilizations meetless advanced ones? The Aztecs know. Only this time, instead of being a couple of hundred years more advanced, they'd probably be at least thousands of years ahead. Maybe they'd just leave us alone and study us because we'd be like interesting primitive zoo creatures tothem. But if they wanted something, they could just take it, and if they wanted to wipe us out, there wou... [More]
Comment icon #22 Posted by Laserburn 10 months ago
Polluting earth orbit is a waste of time.
Comment icon #23 Posted by psyche101 10 months ago
She's right isn't she? Man Mars Women Venus.
Comment icon #24 Posted by preacherman76 9 months ago
Why would we know if they visited us?
Comment icon #25 Posted by Rolci 9 months ago
So what do you call an extraterrestrial on a planet that has no name? A non-visiting non-alien??
Comment icon #26 Posted by Jon the frog 9 months ago
An extraterrestrial being? If he have a spaceship it will be an Extraterrestrial spaceship, If he come to earth, it will be an alien spaceship with an alien driving it... But if I'm drunk and it zoom pass so fast that i just see a blurry stuff flying that doesnt offer a clue of what it was... it's an UFO.