Wednesday, May 25, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Natural World > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Natural World

Gargantuan moth is larger than woman's hand

February 27, 2021 | Comment icon 10 comments

This is one huge moth. Image Credit: Facebook / Pam Taylor
A woman in Australia recently captured photographs of a moth so huge that it exceeded the size of her hand.
For those with a phobia of moths, you can safely add this enormous critter to the list of over-sized creepy-crawlies that might see you strike Australia off your bucket list of countries to visit.

Photographs of the massive winged insect were posted up on the Amateur Entomology Australia Facebook page by Pam Taylor on February 23rd after she encountered it near Brisbane.

The insect, which was found gripping a thin tree branch, remained motionless while she took photographs comparing its size to that of her outstretched hand.
Experts were quick to identity it as the giant wood moth - the heaviest moth species in the world.

Fully grown, these insects can weigh up to 30 grams with a wingspan of 25 centimeters.

You can check out additional pictures - here.

Source: Oddity Central | Comments (10)

Comment icon #1 Posted by bookwormwen 1 year ago
I would be terrified to encounter one of these in real life, but the photos are beautiful. Nature is incredible.
Comment icon #2 Posted by acute 1 year ago
I know it looks girly, but it's actually Donald Trump's hand, and the moth's wingspan is two inches.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Stiff 1 year ago
I have an old work buddy that is frightened of nothing. Except moths. Even small moths petrify him. If this thing flew anywhere near him he would drop a log into his undercrackers and probably lose consciousness. I'd be more than happy to hold this lovely creature. (Obviously nowhere near my old buddy as he'd put me to sleep sharpish.)
Comment icon #4 Posted by Seti42 1 year ago
There's no small amount of forced perspective going on in those three photos in the link. It's a big moth, but the images provided are also misleading.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Timothy 1 year ago
The articles are misleading, I don’t know if OP ever claimed it was her hand. She’s 50+ and her hands definitely are not that youthful. In the comments on the photos she uploaded to Facebook, she answered that it was her 9yo grandsons hand after being questioned.  And yes the forced perspective is annoying. They are big moths, but not that big.
Comment icon #6 Posted by bigjonalien 1 year ago
I have seen these before they are massive, i believe it. I have seen them the size of my open hand. At eastern creek tip when i worked there but you would also see rats the size of cats too.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Eldorado 1 year ago

Comment icon #8 Posted by openozy 1 year ago
If that's an adult's hand they need to get a job, lol.
Comment icon #9 Posted by josellama2000 1 year ago
Being that big, how can it breath enough?
Comment icon #10 Posted by ted hughes 1 year ago
I wondered about the perspective as well. Irritating and disappointing really, as it probably was impressive.

Total Posts: 7,267,605    Topics: 298,928    Members: 197,021