Sunday, June 25, 2017

Are lobsters the key to immortality ?

Posted on Monday, 16 September, 2013 | Comment icon 38 comments

Older lobsters can grow to impressive sizes. Image Credit: NOAA
Scientists are attempting to learn the secret to immortality through an enzyme found in lobsters.
Lobsters might not seem to be the most resilient of species when you consider their status as a restaurant delicacy, but these sea-bound crustaceans do have one trick up their sleeve that sets them apart from other animals.

While they are still capable of dying from illness or injury, lobsters are impervious to the passage of time and do not succumb to age-related ailments, in effect rendering them "biologically immortal".

In the hope that understanding this trait could lead to immortality in humans, researchers have been attempting to determine exactly what it is that makes them ageless. The key, it is believed, is an enzyme called telomerase that is able to rejuvenate their cells indefinitely.

This mechanism is so effective in fact that lobsters 60 or 70 years old appear just as fertile and pristine as specimens several decades younger. If it were possible to reproduce this enzyme for use in humans then it could potentially lead to the discovery of a way to halt the aging process completely.

Source: The Week | Comments (38)

Tags: Immortality, Lobster

Comment icon #29 Posted by spud the mackem on 17 September, 2013, 9:36
When you retire the Gov't hopes you will die soon eo they dont have to pay you're pension.
Comment icon #30 Posted by Big Bad Voodoo on 17 September, 2013, 10:32
There is more mysteries around Lobsters then this. They are amazing animals. They are important to physics aswell. Big Bad Voodoo
Comment icon #31 Posted by Emeraldgemheart on 17 September, 2013, 19:32
Comment icon #32 Posted by pallidin on 17 September, 2013, 22:42
Immortality wouldn't be so amazing as it sounds. If you had the power to live forever, you would have to watch every one you care about grow old and die. Not sounding good now, is it? If "immortality" includes my family and friends, no, it would not be a problem. If it only was for myself, I can certainly see the psychological pain, like parents grieving over their children's sudden or disease death. But the pain ends. Imagine, if you will, the potential for extraordinary mental maturity with extended longevity. The aspect of extraordinary psychosis is also likely to occur. Hard call.
Comment icon #33 Posted by Emeraldgemheart on 20 September, 2013, 11:55
I'd rather die with my family, then live without them But if they are included in the immortality thing then yeah.
Comment icon #34 Posted by Talion on 24 September, 2013, 22:29
I knew there's a reason there such a tasty critter.
Comment icon #35 Posted by tagace1 on 27 September, 2013, 3:54
Comment icon #36 Posted by Frank Merton on 27 September, 2013, 4:12
I wouldn't really want immortality. I think eventually you would lose respect for human life and become bored. Then you would spend your time trying to reverse it I'm willing to concede that might happen and would want an escape clause, but I doubt it.
Comment icon #37 Posted by kevex on 27 September, 2013, 23:00
If my family can be immortal too then I would love to.
Comment icon #38 Posted by skookum on 3 October, 2013, 19:03
Not for me. When I was younger the thought of dieing was terrifying, as I got older it became more accepted. Although I am probably still considered relatively young in today's life expectancy I can feel the fatigue physically and mentally more and more. The thought of going on longer than a natural life is more concerning than death to me.

Could the universe itself be conscious ?
6-25-2017
The idea that the cosmos may be self-aware has intrigued scientists and philosophers for centuries.
Scientists crack mystery of avian egg shape
6-24-2017
Researchers have finally worked out why some bird eggs are rounder while others are more pointy.
Magnetic beam could dispose of old satellites
6-24-2017
A French scientist is working on a novel new way to keep Earth's orbit clear of defunct satellites.
UK UFO files have finally been released
6-24-2017
The National Archives has published a collection of 15 Ministry of Defence files on the subject of UFOs.
Longest marble run
Posted 6-25-2017 | 1 comment
This record-breaking marble run in Elgg, Switzerland stretched 1,918.12 meters through the town.

Predicting disasters
Posted 6-24-2017 | 0 comments
Richard A. Clarke talks about the ways in which catastrophes can be predicted in advance.

How big are spacecraft ?
Posted 6-23-2017 | 2 comments
Most images of spacecraft are set in space, which makes it hard to judge relative size.

Eusocial animals
Posted 6-22-2017 | 1 comment
How do ants and termites manage to create such enormous and impressive structures ?

Seeing the invisible
Posted 6-21-2017 | 0 comments
What if you could see invisible air currents, temperature gradients and pressure differences ?

Craig is here
6-10-2017 | Phoenix AZ

We saw the same thing!
6-10-2017 | Pooler, GA

Three female faces
6-5-2017 | Illinois (IL)

Encounter at 3:33 AM
6-5-2017 | Budapest

Trade school terror
5-26-2017 | Cedro woolley, Wa.

Someone is on my bed