Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Are lobsters the key to immortality ?

Posted on Monday, 16 September, 2013 | Comment icon 38 comments

Older lobsters can grow to impressive sizes. Image Credit: NOAA
Scientists are attempting to learn the secret to immortality through an enzyme found in lobsters.
Lobsters might not seem to be the most resilient of species when you consider their status as a restaurant delicacy, but these sea-bound crustaceans do have one trick up their sleeve that sets them apart from other animals.

While they are still capable of dying from illness or injury, lobsters are impervious to the passage of time and do not succumb to age-related ailments, in effect rendering them "biologically immortal".

In the hope that understanding this trait could lead to immortality in humans, researchers have been attempting to determine exactly what it is that makes them ageless. The key, it is believed, is an enzyme called telomerase that is able to rejuvenate their cells indefinitely.

This mechanism is so effective in fact that lobsters 60 or 70 years old appear just as fertile and pristine as specimens several decades younger. If it were possible to reproduce this enzyme for use in humans then it could potentially lead to the discovery of a way to halt the aging process completely.

Source: The Week | Comments (38)

Tags: Immortality, Lobster

Comment icon #29 Posted by spud the mackem on 17 September, 2013, 9:36
When you retire the Gov't hopes you will die soon eo they dont have to pay you're pension.
Comment icon #30 Posted by Big Bad Voodoo on 17 September, 2013, 10:32
There is more mysteries around Lobsters then this. They are amazing animals. They are important to physics aswell. Big Bad Voodoo
Comment icon #31 Posted by Emeraldgemheart on 17 September, 2013, 19:32
Comment icon #32 Posted by pallidin on 17 September, 2013, 22:42
Immortality wouldn't be so amazing as it sounds. If you had the power to live forever, you would have to watch every one you care about grow old and die. Not sounding good now, is it? If "immortality" includes my family and friends, no, it would not be a problem. If it only was for myself, I can certainly see the psychological pain, like parents grieving over their children's sudden or disease death. But the pain ends. Imagine, if you will, the potential for extraordinary mental maturity with extended longevity. The aspect of extraordinary psychosis is also likely to occur. Hard call.
Comment icon #33 Posted by Emeraldgemheart on 20 September, 2013, 11:55
I'd rather die with my family, then live without them But if they are included in the immortality thing then yeah.
Comment icon #34 Posted by Talion on 24 September, 2013, 22:29
I knew there's a reason there such a tasty critter.
Comment icon #35 Posted by tagace1 on 27 September, 2013, 3:54
Comment icon #36 Posted by Frank Merton on 27 September, 2013, 4:12
I wouldn't really want immortality. I think eventually you would lose respect for human life and become bored. Then you would spend your time trying to reverse it I'm willing to concede that might happen and would want an escape clause, but I doubt it.
Comment icon #37 Posted by kevex on 27 September, 2013, 23:00
If my family can be immortal too then I would love to.
Comment icon #38 Posted by skookum on 3 October, 2013, 19:03
Not for me. When I was younger the thought of dieing was terrifying, as I got older it became more accepted. Although I am probably still considered relatively young in today's life expectancy I can feel the fatigue physically and mentally more and more. The thought of going on longer than a natural life is more concerning than death to me.

Strange new perfume smells just like a comet
6-28-2016
A British company has created a peculiar new perfume which matches the otherworldly aroma of comet 67P.
Mammoth fossils found under street in Mexico
6-28-2016
The well-preserved 14,000-year-old remains were unearthed by utility workers in the city of Tultepec.
Human magnetic 'sixth sense' discovered
6-27-2016
A researcher in the United States believes he has found evidence of a magnetic 'sixth sense' in humans.
'Dancing mania' mystery endures 600 years on
6-27-2016
A peculiar affliction once left hundreds of people dancing uncontrollably in the streets of Europe.
How MythBusters saved a woman's life
Posted 6-27-2016 | 2 comments
A woman whose car careened in to a lake was saved by an episode of MythBusters.

Real-life dire wolves
Posted 6-26-2016 | 3 comments
The huge wolves in Game of Thrones actually existed 300,000 years ago.

Teaching a gorilla to talk
Posted 6-25-2016 | 8 comments
A western lowland gorilla named Koko was taught from an early age to use sign language.

Man puts 496 straws in his mouth
Posted 6-24-2016 | 3 comments
Guinness Rishi manages to cram 496 drinking straws in to his mouth at the same time.

Space is trying to kill us
Posted 6-23-2016 | 1 comment
How do astronauts survive in space and what happens after they return to Earth ?

Not in our jurisdiction

Christmas Day haunting
4-6-2016 | London, UK

The funeral director
3-30-2016 | Hebburn, England

A strange sighting in Spain
3-30-2016 | Albatera, Spain

Dust patterns on basement floor
3-27-2016 | Smithville, Texas