Friday, August 18, 2017

6,000-year-old language reconstructed

Posted on Saturday, 28 September, 2013 | Comment icon 48 comments

What did the ancient European language sound like ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.5 Jeffrey Pfau
Linguists have pieced together what an ancient language may have sounded like 6,000 years ago.
Modern Indo-European languages are thought to have all descended from a single common language known as Proto-Indo-European (PIE) which was spoken between 4,500 to 2,500 B.C. and of which there are no written texts.

In 1868, German linguist August Schleicher created the first version of a fable known as "The Sheep and the Horses" ( or Schleicherís Fable ) by reconstructing the vocabulary of the ancient language.

Over the years advances in our understanding of this language have provided multiple revisions and re-recordings. The latest version, recited by University of Kentucky linguist Andrew Byrd, can be heard below.

While not a perfect representation of the Proto-Indo-European language, the recording does provide a tantalizing glimpse back in time at how the spoken word might have sounded.

As research continues and as the reconstructions become more and more accurate it is hoped that we will eventually end up with a recitation that would be indistinguishable from the actual speech of those that lived in Europe several thousand years ago.

Source: Archaeology.org | Comments (48)

Tags: Language

Comment icon #39 Posted by Frank Merton on 30 September, 2013, 1:09
The thing about English is, first, that the coming of the Norsemen with their slightly different suffixes than the Germanic suffixes Anglo-Saxon then had led to a generalized stripping of English of most of its cases and declensions and so on. (In order to communicate the root words were basically the same so they started talking in just the roots, and using prepositions and word order instead of suffixes.) Then in the Middle Ages came the "Great Vowel Change" (for unknown reasons) where English went astray in its vowel pronunciation from the other languages of continental Europe. Also of cour... [More]
Comment icon #40 Posted by Frank Merton on 30 September, 2013, 1:14
The Great Vowel Change leads to some of the most persistent errors Vietnamese learning to speak English tend to make. Vietnamese uses an alphabet taken from French in the late nineteenth century, so its pronunciation rules are largely those of the French. In particular, along with all West European languages except English, the letter "i" is pronounced as English "ee" ("feet"), so you get "fit" pronounced "feet," and so on (much as in a Mexican or Italian accent where the same thing happens. This is fairly harmless and native English speakers don't much mind it, except for a certain word that ... [More]
Comment icon #41 Posted by Ad hoc on 30 September, 2013, 1:49
The Great Vowel Change heh, I remember having a really hard-nosed English teacher that gave us Chaucer to study, and insisted on reading out the passages in the correct accent and then asking us to analyse it. Sounded like another language, until you actually read the words. Seems Chaucer was near the beginning of the great vowel shift.
Comment icon #42 Posted by freetoroam on 30 September, 2013, 17:46
Agreed that the PIE reconstruction is theoretical, which by necessity it has to be, but I don't think it's really as make-believe as you seem to think. Linguists have been studying PIE for a long time now, and while I am not expert on PIE studies myself, I understand how the dissection and backtracking of Indo-European languages can lead to the theoretical models proposed. To me it sounds a hell of a lot like Old English. I don't know that modern English would be a good example to use because English is more of a mutt language than probably any other today. What you hear in England today, or i... [More]
Comment icon #43 Posted by kmt_sesh on 2 October, 2013, 2:42
I do not think it is make-believe, I do not think they have the accents right. Take on here for instance, I type (the best I can) in a language all understand, but accents can change the sounds of that language quite dramatically, so unless the researches took their findings from writings without taking in account the regional accent, I can not see how it could sound the way they have made it on the tape. In that respect I apologize because I misread your intent. I think we were both touching on the same idea but were looking at it differently. The only cautionary note I would make is that we ... [More]
Comment icon #44 Posted by jaylemurph on 2 October, 2013, 6:00
I have to conclude massive ignorance of linguistics here. I'd go so far as to say I'm reasonably well-versed in linguistics, and by and large I agree with hammerclaw. The extant data is so slight and the interpretations of it so open to criticism(s), that in specific regard to what the language actually sounded like, that anything claiming to be genuinely PIE is highly questionable. --Jaylemurph
Comment icon #45 Posted by Frank Merton on 2 October, 2013, 6:12
Comment icon #46 Posted by jaylemurph on 3 October, 2013, 5:32
Such reconstruction has been going on for a century, and has had remarkable successes, of which you seem unaware. It may seem a remarkable claim, but if you know something about the ways languages evolve, it is possible with enough successor languages at hand, to do a pretty good job reconstructing the original. Pronunciation is a more difficult thing, but not impossible either. I'm perfectly well aware of it, actually. And well aware of the specifics of Historical and Comparative Linguistics, and of the historical reconstruction model generally used. And this model, in point of fact, has been... [More]
Comment icon #47 Posted by Frank Merton on 3 October, 2013, 5:52
Comment icon #48 Posted by jaylemurph on 4 October, 2013, 1:37
You seem determined to downplay the achievement. I don't see your reasoning and it seems discordant with the reality of what has been determined. Then these people have been particularly adept at convincing you there is an acheivement to downplay. --Jaylemurph

Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs
  Gnosticism
  The Urantia Papers
  Any LaVey Fans Here?
 Extraterrestrial Life & The UFO Phenomenon
  Kenneth Arnold UFOs
  SaLuSa from sirius
  Betty and Barney Hill Case Debunked
Mystery of distant Kuiper Belt object deepens
8-17-2017
The next target of NASA's New Horizons probe is a space rock with some rather intriguing properties.
Scientists solve animal evolution mystery
8-17-2017
A sea algae boom has been credited with the rise of the first complex life forms in Earth's distant past.
Man finds snake on a supermarket pineapple
8-17-2017
A man in Edinburgh got the fright of his life on Tuesday when he found the reptile in his shopping.
Insect burgers to go on sale in Switzerland
8-16-2017
Insect-based edibles are beginning to appear in shops after a recent revision of food safety laws.
Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Will batteries power the world ?
Posted 8-14-2017 | 0 comments
Is there a limit to how small and light a rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be ?

Hoia-Baciu - the world's most haunted forest
Posted 8-13-2017 | 0 comments
A look at an area of forest that some people describe as Romania's own 'Bermuda Triangle'.

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama