Thursday, May 25, 2017

Nazi giant rabbit breeding program revealed

Posted on Sunday, 29 September, 2013 | Comment icon 63 comments

Angora rabbits are a good source of warm clothing material. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Betty Chu
New details have emerged of a bizarre World War II program designed to provide fur for soldiers.
Information has emerged about the project thanks to a volume originally recovered from the home of SS chief Heinrich Himmler. The secret "Angora book" contained details pertaining to "Operation Munchkin", a bizarre initiative aimed at finding a new way to provide an efficient source of materials for warm military clothing.

According to these records, the Nazis had set up special angora rabbit breeding facilities where they attempted to produce rabbits of a huge size. Some of these were housed near to concentration camps so that while the prisoners were starving and dying, the rabbits were being treated to heated hutches and piles of fresh vegetables.

As many as 30 of these rabbit breeding centers were set up around Nazi occupied Europe, most in proximity to concentration camps. Himmler allegedly got the idea of using rabbit fur as a way to produce warm clothing for military personnel after reading about a small-scale experiment that took place during World War I.

Source: Mirror | Comments (63)

Tags: Rabbit, Word War II

Comment icon #54 Posted by ealdwita on 1 October, 2013, 11:04
You've read the book. You've seen the film.......... Now try.... The Stew!!!!!
Comment icon #55 Posted by thewild on 1 October, 2013, 13:00
I'm looking but it was years ago... I have a great pic of my angora Poppy wearing a fleece jacket, and the fleece jacket was spotted like a dalmatian and it made Poppy look like a Holstein. It was my favorite jacket to put on him, They always chewed the collars though Silly bunnies. I miss them but they were a lot of work.
Comment icon #56 Posted by Simbi Laveau on 1 October, 2013, 14:24
You've read the book. You've seen the film.......... Now try.... The Stew!!!!! Evil....
Comment icon #57 Posted by TheOtherSide1945 on 3 October, 2013, 22:46
we got nazi zombies in movies now. lets get some nazi yeti uniformed zombies and giant bunnies controlled by a nazi scientist who escaped to antarctica. i play alot of company of heroes 2. i am trying to get relic(game designer) to make a commander that has giant nazi rabbits as a unit. they havent replied.
Comment icon #58 Posted by DieChecker on 4 October, 2013, 0:53
It's cute how that Yeti's belly button was showing.
Comment icon #59 Posted by Duchess Gummybuns on 5 October, 2013, 23:48
Mein Furrier. IT'S A JOKE. LAUGH.
Comment icon #60 Posted by Emeraldgemheart on 11 October, 2013, 19:22
I don't care what the cost. I'm going to get one of those bunnies.
Comment icon #61 Posted by Simbi Laveau on 11 October, 2013, 20:44
I don't care what the cost. I'm going to get one of those bunnies. Of you really want one, I can help you adopt one in need. It won't be as big as the European ones, but if it's your first bunneh, it will be big enough. Have you ever had a bunneh before?
Comment icon #62 Posted by Emeraldgemheart on 12 October, 2013, 13:29
Yeah I've had one. The girls who had it before me didn't keep it well enough, and they didn't want it. They gave it to me, and then a few months later I found out he had scryconic mange..I had to give him to the animal rescue... I don't know what they did to him..
Comment icon #63 Posted by Simbi Laveau on 12 October, 2013, 19:18

Superheated lava once reached Earth's surface
5-24-2017
Scientists have determined that 1,600-degree lava once surged to the surface in what is now Costa Rica.
Whales only became huge relatively recently
5-24-2017
They may be giants of the deep today, but blue whales only gained their huge size 2-3 million years ago.
Why do flamingos stand on only one leg ?
5-24-2017
Scientists have determined that flamingos prefer to stand on one leg as it helps them conserve energy.
Neil Armstrong's bag could fetch up to $4M
5-23-2017
A bag used by the late astronaut to collect samples during the Apollo 11 mission is to be sold at auction.
Nine doughnuts in three minutes
Posted 5-24-2017 | 4 comments
'L.A. Beast' returns to break another record, this time by eating a huge pile of doughnuts.

Falcon vs car
Posted 5-23-2017 | 5 comments
Can the fastest bird of prey in level flight manage to fly faster than a speeding car ?

Ants are better at growing food than we are
Posted 5-21-2017 | 1 comment
They may be small, but ants have been farming their own food for a lot longer than humans have.

Neil deGrasse Tyson on Europa
Posted 5-20-2017 | 0 comments
The popular astrophysicist talks about finding life beneath the surface of Europa.

Everest earthquake
Posted 5-19-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the harrowing moments before the devastating avalanche at Mount Everest in 2015.

Someone is on my bed