Friday, December 9, 2016

Bright UFO descends over Iceland town

Posted on Wednesday, 23 October, 2013 | Comment icon 44 comments

The object appears to land between the buildings. Image Credit: YouTube / Bjarki Mikkelsen
Time lapse footage of a town in Iceland has captured an eerie object descending from the heavens.
Bjarki Mikkelsen had recorded the video in the town of Akureyri in Northern Iceland at the end of September. He hadn't been aware that the time lapse video had caught anything unusual until he came back to view the recording at a later date.

The object, which appears red on the video, can be seen in the sky above the town descending towards the buildings, eventually disappearing behind one of them. There is no discernible explosion or impact at the point at which it seems to hit the ground.

Opinions are divided on what the footage shows. Some comments on the video have suggested that the object is a flare, a drone or a Chinese lantern, however a conclusive explanation for the sighting has yet to be found.

Source: Huffington Post | Comments (44)

Tags: UFO, Iceland

Comment icon #35 Posted by trudoug on 24 October, 2013, 2:52
Comment icon #36 Posted by krypter3 on 24 October, 2013, 4:13
lol really. It's a flare or something burning as it floated down
Comment icon #37 Posted by Jacques Terreur on 24 October, 2013, 4:27
Ah, hello? No satisfactory answer is found? Hello? i'd walk right down to the spot and investigate it...dang, is everyone just looking out their windows at this? it's obvious, innit? I mean, curiosity is what brought humanity forward until this day. So , if you witness something like that, why not grab your camera, an umbrella (or whatever they use for self defending precaution in iceland) and GET THE **** OUT to the place where it came down!
Comment icon #38 Posted by Lex540 on 24 October, 2013, 13:28
what can i say. oh i know reserve my comments
Comment icon #39 Posted by Einsteinium on 24 October, 2013, 13:58
Doubtless you are right... it is probably a CGI. Or, perhaps a balloon and LED. But it is not a chinese lantern or helicopter or a flare. I agree with that. I am curious as to why you rule a parachute flare out? It looks just like one to me. My ex military- now helicopter pilot friend who is very familiar with flares agrees and tells me that it is obviously a parachute flare no question about it.
Comment icon #40 Posted by DieChecker on 24 October, 2013, 17:17
I am curious as to why you rule a parachute flare out? It looks just like one to me. My ex military- now helicopter pilot friend who is very familiar with flares agrees and tells me that it is obviously a parachute flare no question about it. Mostly I was just being snarky to the other poster. But the lack of smoke is one reason. He was trying to imply it was ET in origin, but I agreed with his post to suggest it was CGI. It seems to be about 500 to 700 meters away to me. Which probably means it is not a normal sized aircraft of any kind.
Comment icon #41 Posted by seeder on 24 October, 2013, 18:37
Mostly I was just being snarky to the other poster. But the lack of smoke is one reason. He was trying to imply it was ET in origin, but I agreed with his post to suggest it was CGI. It seems to be about 500 to 700 meters away to me. Which probably means it is not a normal sized aircraft of any kind. exactly. Id also looked for something to compare size, IMO it looked to about as big as a one of the buildings windows, and certainly about half size of the cars. bearing in mind the glow wouldn't be its actual size, itd be smaller than its glow, so yeh, a smallish object for sure
Comment icon #42 Posted by Lava_Lady on 25 October, 2013, 3:58
Whatever it is, it's pretty cool looking. I was expecting a more climactic ending, an explosion or something, but I guess it's a good thing nothing happened.
Comment icon #43 Posted by Lumpy-YNWA on 25 October, 2013, 17:05
Yeah it could be a parachute flare. It's not a video in reverse though as at the bottom of the video, you can see people walking around.........unless they are walking backwards down the street? I think it was a small craft carrying a little boy who in 18 years will appear in our skies and on our tv wearing a red and blue suit.
Comment icon #44 Posted by Chooky88 on 14 November, 2013, 3:09
I almost burnt my town down playing with a parachute flare. Bloody wind, bloody dry bushes and bloody stupid! Not to mention bloody lucky putting it out in sandles without getting burnt.

Actual dinosaur tail found preserved in amber
12-8-2016
The unprecedented 99 million-year-old specimen contains preserved bones, soft tissues and feathers.
Mars One delays first manned mission to Mars
12-8-2016
The Netherlands-based firm has pushed back its ambitious plans by several years due to funding issues.
Bleak figures show giraffes face extinction
12-8-2016
The world's tallest animal has suffered a worrying decline in numbers over the last three decades.
Loch Ness Monster sightings are on the rise
12-7-2016
There have been more sightings of the elusive creature this year than during any other this millennium.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Exploding 6ft water balloon in slow motion
Posted 12-8-2016 | 1 comment
The Slo Mo Guys film what happens when you sit inside a giant exploding water balloon.

What happens when you swallow gum ?
Posted 12-7-2016 | 3 comments
Ever swallowed a piece of chewing gum by accident ? Here's what happens.

Indestructible coating ?
Posted 12-6-2016 | 4 comments
A look at polyurea, an elastomer that can make objects extremely difficult to damage.

World's longest shout
Posted 12-5-2016 | 1 comment
Christian Kinner from Germany managed to shout for over 43 seconds non-stop.

Top 10 facts about James Webb Telescope
Posted 12-4-2016 | 0 comments
A look at the upcoming orbital observatory and what it will see in the depths of space.

Not my daughter