Saturday, May 28, 2016

4000-year-old Egyptian tomb discovered

Posted on Friday, 25 October, 2013 | Comment icon 118 comments

Several tombs have been found in Abusir. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Axel Seedorff
Archaeologists have located the tomb of a physician who would have once served the pharoahs.
The tomb was found underneath a dense layer of rubble at the ruins of Abusir southwest of Cairo. The area is home to an extensive ancient necropolis and is believed to have once served as the main elite cemetery for the city of Memphis.

A number of relics were found inside the tomb including pottery, wooden coffins and skeletal remains. "This discovery is important because this is the tomb of one of the greatest doctors from the time of the pyramid builders, one of the doctors closely tied to the king," said Antiquities Minister Ibrahim Ali.

The location of the find is particularly interesting because, being a family plot, it could also hold the remains of other individuals as well. The tombs of two other ancient Egyptian physicians had previously been uncovered at different times in the same area.

"The historical importance of the latest discoveries of our team rests particularly in that Schebseskaf Anch was one of the highest placed physicians known in the ancient Egypt of the period of pyramid builders, that is the Old Kingdom," said Egyptologist Miroslav Barta who headed the excavation team.

Source: Red Orbit | Comments (118)

Tags: Egypt

Comment icon #109 Posted by Frank Merton on 8 November, 2014, 4:01
Modern dentists only frighten the bank account, not the pain receptors. Back then I imagine they scared the devil out of both.
Comment icon #110 Posted by kmt_sesh on 8 November, 2014, 5:24
LOL I can see that. "I need to pull that rotten tooth with my bronze pliers. The price is one bull, one cow, three goats, a sack of grain, and your oldest daughter."
Comment icon #111 Posted by Hammerclaw on 8 November, 2014, 18:53
Well it may be, as it was before our modern times, that denistry was practiced by their barbers and butchers.
Comment icon #112 Posted by jmccr8 on 9 November, 2014, 3:25
I came across some other information about dentistry and medicine that I am adding,some of the linked are not solely dedicated to Egyptians but are from a similar time period and thought that they would add to an expanded overview of the subject material. https://www.google.ca/search?q=ancient+egyptian+dentistry+tools&rlz=1C1CHFX_enCA459CA459&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&imgil=0IdJnmOveLGDBM%253A%253BVZFJC4l4TK7YTM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%25252Fsciencetech%25252Farticle-2215769%25252FThe-unique-linen-filling-used-Egyptian-dentists-2-100-year... [More]
Comment icon #113 Posted by jmccr8 on 9 November, 2014, 6:11
I have some links to add about ancient Egyptian mathematics that I think are relevant to the earlier links that I gave about architecture. http://www.thegreatpyramidofgiza.ca/book/TheGreatPyramidofGIZA.pdf https://ia600500.us.archive.org/5/items/ArchitectureAndMathematicsInAncientEgypt/ArchitectureAndMathematicsInAncientEgypt.pdf http://aaatec.org/documents/article/sak1.pdf http://www.rhodes.aegean.gr/maa_journal/5_Magli.pdf http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/1317869/1/290085.pdf https://www.fig.net/pub/cairo/papers/wshs_02/wshs02_02_paulson.pdf I do have another link that I would like to post but pro... [More]
Comment icon #114 Posted by kmt_sesh on 10 November, 2014, 5:12
I'm very surprised you can't just post a link to the book, like on Amazon. In fact, that one's in my own Amazon Wish List. A good friend of mine is a professor of advanced mathematics and she also happens to be an Egyptophile such as I, and she personally recommended the Rossi book to me. LOL Are you serious? Cambridge might take issue with this? I don't see how there is possibly any legal issue with this, and for pete's sake it's free advertising. Or are you talking about posting a link that provides a lot of free content from the book?
Comment icon #115 Posted by jmccr8 on 10 November, 2014, 7:25
Hi Kmt_sesh. It's actually a link for a pdf of the complete book which is why I said I wouldn't post it,I did post the approved link in Cladkings thread as I thought that it might be of some use for him in understanding the ancient Egyptians
Comment icon #116 Posted by kmt_sesh on 10 November, 2014, 23:33
Ah, the entire book. I wonder how the PDF got out there, then? If Cambridge itself didn't do it, did someone scan and rebuild the entire book digitally? I could see how Cambridge would frown on that. Any such route, if not approved by the publisher, directly interferes with copyright law. I personally don't like it. But I won't tell. Give me fifty bucks and mum's the word.
Comment icon #117 Posted by jmccr8 on 11 November, 2014, 0:33
Mum the 50 is in the mail jmccr8

Government study finds cellphone-cancer link
5-27-2016
The findings suggest that exposure to cellphone radiation may cause brain and heart cancers in rats.
Giant squid may grow larger than a school bus
5-27-2016
A new study has suggested that giant squid may actually grow to be much larger than previously believed.
Aristotle's lost tomb has finally been found
5-26-2016
The long-sought final resting place of the Greek philosopher has been unearthed at a site in Macedonia.
New optical clock is most accurate ever built
5-26-2016
Scientists have come up with a clock so accurate that it could even redefine the length of a second.
Seeking new antibiotics under the sea
Posted 5-27-2016 | 2 comments
Scientists are seeking new treatments for antibiotic-resistant infections beneath the waves.

World's first mile-long pizza
Posted 5-26-2016 | 1 comment
Italian chefs have produced a single gigantic pizza that stretches for an entire mile.

What happened before the Big Bang ?
Posted 5-22-2016 | 4 comments
Is it possible to find out what took place before our universe came in to existence ?

Prehistoric creatures that still exist
Posted 5-21-2016 | 1 comment
A look at some remarkable animal species that have survived for millions of years.

Why do we have 10 fingers and 10 toes ?
Posted 5-20-2016 | 2 comments
What is the reason that we happen to have exactly 10 fingers and toes ? Why that number ?

Not in our jurisdiction

Christmas Day haunting
4-6-2016 | London, UK

The funeral director
3-30-2016 | Hebburn, England

A strange sighting in Spain
3-30-2016 | Albatera, Spain

Dust patterns on basement floor
3-27-2016 | Smithville, Texas