Wednesday, May 4, 2016   |   4,570 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

4000-year-old Egyptian tomb discovered

Posted on Friday, 25 October, 2013 | Comment icon 117 comments

Several tombs have been found in Abusir. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Axel Seedorff
Archaeologists have located the tomb of a physician who would have once served the pharoahs.
The tomb was found underneath a dense layer of rubble at the ruins of Abusir southwest of Cairo. The area is home to an extensive ancient necropolis and is believed to have once served as the main elite cemetery for the city of Memphis.

A number of relics were found inside the tomb including pottery, wooden coffins and skeletal remains. "This discovery is important because this is the tomb of one of the greatest doctors from the time of the pyramid builders, one of the doctors closely tied to the king," said Antiquities Minister Ibrahim Ali.

The location of the find is particularly interesting because, being a family plot, it could also hold the remains of other individuals as well. The tombs of two other ancient Egyptian physicians had previously been uncovered at different times in the same area.

"The historical importance of the latest discoveries of our team rests particularly in that Schebseskaf Anch was one of the highest placed physicians known in the ancient Egypt of the period of pyramid builders, that is the Old Kingdom," said Egyptologist Miroslav Barta who headed the excavation team.

Source: Red Orbit | Comments (117)

Tags: Egypt

Comment icon #108 Posted by kmt_sesh on 8 November, 2014, 3:49
On the subject of doctors in ancient Egypt, I recently finished a book by Rosalie David called (Cambridge University Press, 2008). As much as I enjoy studying Egyptian mummies I'm also fascinated by the paleopathological research of ancient mummies. David and her team are from the Manchester Museum in northern England, and this institute is the world leader in the study of Egyptian mummies. It's an incredibly interesting book and also quite advanced, so some of the physics and chemistry were over my head. But there's also a lot of information on the archaeology of mummies and an... [More]
Comment icon #109 Posted by Frank Merton on 8 November, 2014, 4:01
Modern dentists only frighten the bank account, not the pain receptors. Back then I imagine they scared the devil out of both.
Comment icon #110 Posted by kmt_sesh on 8 November, 2014, 5:24
LOL I can see that. "I need to pull that rotten tooth with my bronze pliers. The price is one bull, one cow, three goats, a sack of grain, and your oldest daughter."
Comment icon #111 Posted by Hammerclaw on 8 November, 2014, 18:53
Well it may be, as it was before our modern times, that denistry was practiced by their barbers and butchers.
Comment icon #112 Posted by jmccr8 on 9 November, 2014, 3:25
I came across some other information about dentistry and medicine that I am adding,some of the linked are not solely dedicated to Egyptians but are from a similar time period and thought that they would add to an expanded overview of the subject material. https://www.google.ca/search?q=ancient+egyptian+dentistry+tools&rlz=1C1CHFX_enCA459CA459&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&imgil=0IdJnmOveLGDBM%253A%253BVZFJC4l4TK7YTM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%25252Fsciencetech%25252Farticle-2215769%25252FThe-unique-linen-filling-used-Egyptian-dentists-2-100-yea... [More]
Comment icon #113 Posted by jmccr8 on 9 November, 2014, 6:11
I have some links to add about ancient Egyptian mathematics that I think are relevant to the earlier links that I gave about architecture. http://www.thegreatpyramidofgiza.ca/book/TheGreatPyramidofGIZA.pdf https://ia600500.us.archive.org/5/items/ArchitectureAndMathematicsInAncientEgypt/ArchitectureAndMathematicsInAncientEgypt.pdf http://aaatec.org/documents/article/sak1.pdf http://www.rhodes.aegean.gr/maa_journal/5_Magli.pdf http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/1317869/1/290085.pdf https://www.fig.net/pub/cairo/papers/wshs_02/wshs02_02_paulson.pdf I do have another link that I would like to post ... [More]
Comment icon #114 Posted by kmt_sesh on 10 November, 2014, 5:12
I'm very surprised you can't just post a link to the book, like on Amazon. In fact, that one's in my own Amazon Wish List. A good friend of mine is a professor of advanced mathematics and she also happens to be an Egyptophile such as I, and she personally recommended the Rossi book to me. LOL Are you serious? Cambridge might take issue with this? I don't see how there is possibly any legal issue with this, and for pete's sake it's free advertising. Or are you talking about posting a link that provides a lot of free content from the book?
Comment icon #115 Posted by jmccr8 on 10 November, 2014, 7:25
Hi Kmt_sesh. It's actually a link for a pdf of the complete book which is why I said I wouldn't post it,I did post the approved link in Cladkings thread as I thought that it might be of some use for him in understanding the ancient Egyptians
Comment icon #116 Posted by kmt_sesh on 10 November, 2014, 23:33
Ah, the entire book. I wonder how the PDF got out there, then? If Cambridge itself didn't do it, did someone scan and rebuild the entire book digitally? I could see how Cambridge would frown on that. Any such route, if not approved by the publisher, directly interferes with copyright law. I personally don't like it. But I won't tell. Give me fifty bucks and mum's the word.
Comment icon #117 Posted by jmccr8 on 11 November, 2014, 0:33
Mum the 50 is in the mail jmccr8

Users online:
5,643,303
257,462
129,116
4,570

Three new Earth-sized planets discovered
5-3-2016
Astronomers have identified three new terrestrial worlds around a relatively close 'ultracool' star.
Scientists build the world's smallest engine
5-3-2016
University of Cambridge physicists have created an engine that is one million times smaller than an ant.
Ancient horse racing rules found in Turkey
5-3-2016
Archaeologists have deciphered a 2,000-year-old tablet inscribed with the rules of a horse racing event.
Elephant is spotted flying over Disneyland
5-2-2016
Visitors to the popular theme park were amazed to see an elephant flying high above the attractions.
Catching a mutated som in Chernobyl
Posted 5-3-2016 | 0 comments
Extreme angler Jeremy Wade ventures to Chernobyl to catch a rather unique specimen.

How does an owl fly so silently ?
Posted 5-2-2016 | 1 comment
Researchers record an owl in flight to determine how it flies without making a sound.

Collecting black mamba venom
Posted 5-1-2016 | 1 comment
Even a single bite from a black mamba delivers enough venom to kill up to twenty people.

A very satisfying video
Posted 4-30-2016 | 1 comment
A compilation of strange, yet extraordinarily satisfying videos of things being made.

Extreme backbending
Posted 4-29-2016 | 1 comment
Contortionist Julia Gunthel sets an eye-watering new record for bending her back.

Not in our jurisdiction

Christmas Day haunting
4-6-2016 | London, UK

The funeral director
3-30-2016 | Hebburn, England

A strange sighting in Spain
3-30-2016 | Albatera, Spain

Dust patterns on basement floor
3-27-2016 | Smithville, Texas