Saturday, May 28, 2016

Black widows found in supermarket grapes

Posted on Sunday, 24 November, 2013 | Comment icon 18 comments

Black widows possess a potentially deadly bite. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Konrad Summers
A shopper who had bought a bunch of grapes returned home to find more than she had bargained for.
Yvonne Whalen had bought the grapes from a Giant Food Stores in Pennsylvania and had been washing them at home when she spotted something unexpected moving inside the bunch. The unwelcome visitor turned out to be a black widow spider, an arachnid capable of delivering a very nasty bite.

"I quickly dropped the colander and screamed," she said. "My first thought was to use a hose and force it down the drain into the garbage disposal."

Yvonne later found a second black widow in the same bunch of grapes however it appeared to already be dead. An analysis of the spiders later confirmed that they were indeed black widows.

Cases of spiders and other insects hitching a ride in fruit shipments have been on the rise in recent years. Earlier in the month a shopper who bought grapes from an Aldi store in Wisconsin also came across a dead black widow that had managed to hide inside the bunch.

Source: Metro | Comments (18)

Tags: Spider

Comment icon #9 Posted by beelzebufo on 24 November, 2013, 23:40
I grew up in a house that had black widows living in the basement. Finding one in my grapes wouldn't be a huge deal. I'm numb to the horror.
Comment icon #10 Posted by homo.liberis on 25 November, 2013, 3:37
I don't share my home with anything with more than 6 legs. My bed with anything with more than 4 legs. And my bath with anything with more than 2 legs. Not negotiable!
Comment icon #11 Posted by TopToffee on 25 November, 2013, 5:36
Quality Control guy got bitten.Should be a new one along soon.
Comment icon #12 Posted by TheSpoonyOne on 25 November, 2013, 18:18
As an Englishman, I'd like to ask how you cope living in Australia with a fear of spiders? I mean I am absolutely petrified of them, decent sized house spiders make me freeze on the spot, but that's why I'm so thankful to have been born on my safe North West European island where they're pretty much the worst I have to worry about, I can't imagine living in Australia, the demonic spider capital of the planet as far as I'm concerned!
Comment icon #13 Posted by kapow53 on 26 November, 2013, 1:58
I agree, living in Florida it's hard not to accidently walk through webs. I've been bitten a few times and it can be bad. May even require a trip to the Dr. The animals in Australia are much worse and not just the spiders.
Comment icon #14 Posted by pallidin on 26 November, 2013, 9:18
To be sure, spiders have their place in Nature. But, I sure don't want one crawling on my skin or on my food. Yuck.
Comment icon #15 Posted by ShortyStuff on 27 November, 2013, 6:09
They're just trying to do their part and add a little protein to the vegan diet.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats on 27 November, 2013, 6:22
Fear is good, it's what keeps us here in Australia alive. We live, after all, in a country where even the weather is trying to brutally murder us all. We check the toilet - just in case - out of fear. We shake out even thongs/flip-flops and crocs - just in case - out of fear. Anyone who isn't scared doesn't last long and usually goes out on a dramatic manner (hello there Steve Irwin).
Comment icon #17 Posted by TopToffee on 27 November, 2013, 7:14
I got bitten on my bottom once,whilst abroad.It stung for days and made sitting down pretty uncomfortable,i can tell you.

Government study finds cellphone-cancer link
5-27-2016
The findings suggest that exposure to cellphone radiation may cause brain and heart cancers in rats.
Giant squid may grow larger than a school bus
5-27-2016
A new study has suggested that giant squid may actually grow to be much larger than previously believed.
Aristotle's lost tomb has finally been found
5-26-2016
The long-sought final resting place of the Greek philosopher has been unearthed at a site in Macedonia.
New optical clock is most accurate ever built
5-26-2016
Scientists have come up with a clock so accurate that it could even redefine the length of a second.
Seeking new antibiotics under the sea
Posted 5-27-2016 | 2 comments
Scientists are seeking new treatments for antibiotic-resistant infections beneath the waves.

World's first mile-long pizza
Posted 5-26-2016 | 1 comment
Italian chefs have produced a single gigantic pizza that stretches for an entire mile.

What happened before the Big Bang ?
Posted 5-22-2016 | 4 comments
Is it possible to find out what took place before our universe came in to existence ?

Prehistoric creatures that still exist
Posted 5-21-2016 | 1 comment
A look at some remarkable animal species that have survived for millions of years.

Why do we have 10 fingers and 10 toes ?
Posted 5-20-2016 | 2 comments
What is the reason that we happen to have exactly 10 fingers and toes ? Why that number ?

Not in our jurisdiction

Christmas Day haunting
4-6-2016 | London, UK

The funeral director
3-30-2016 | Hebburn, England

A strange sighting in Spain
3-30-2016 | Albatera, Spain

Dust patterns on basement floor
3-27-2016 | Smithville, Texas