Friday, July 1, 2016

Black widows found in supermarket grapes

Posted on Sunday, 24 November, 2013 | Comment icon 17 comments

Black widows possess a potentially deadly bite. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Konrad Summers
A shopper who had bought a bunch of grapes returned home to find more than she had bargained for.
Yvonne Whalen had bought the grapes from a Giant Food Stores in Pennsylvania and had been washing them at home when she spotted something unexpected moving inside the bunch. The unwelcome visitor turned out to be a black widow spider, an arachnid capable of delivering a very nasty bite.

"I quickly dropped the colander and screamed," she said. "My first thought was to use a hose and force it down the drain into the garbage disposal."

Yvonne later found a second black widow in the same bunch of grapes however it appeared to already be dead. An analysis of the spiders later confirmed that they were indeed black widows.

Cases of spiders and other insects hitching a ride in fruit shipments have been on the rise in recent years. Earlier in the month a shopper who bought grapes from an Aldi store in Wisconsin also came across a dead black widow that had managed to hide inside the bunch.

Source: Metro | Comments (17)

Tags: Spider

Comment icon #8 Posted by _Only on 24 November, 2013, 19:35
Where is the quality control?? I find it hard to believe that there is no inspection of the fruit before its packaged. And Spiders Suck. Produce boxes and grape bags in particular often have holes (intended) in them. So the spider really could have crawled in at any point from grapes being put into its shipping container to going into the woman's house.
Comment icon #9 Posted by beelzebufo on 24 November, 2013, 23:40
I grew up in a house that had black widows living in the basement. Finding one in my grapes wouldn't be a huge deal. I'm numb to the horror.
Comment icon #10 Posted by homo.liberis on 25 November, 2013, 3:37
I don't share my home with anything with more than 6 legs. My bed with anything with more than 4 legs. And my bath with anything with more than 2 legs. Not negotiable!
Comment icon #11 Posted by TopToffee on 25 November, 2013, 5:36
Where is the quality control?? I find it hard to believe that there is no inspection of the fruit before its packaged. And Spiders Suck. Quality Control guy got bitten.Should be a new one along soon.
Comment icon #12 Posted by TheSpoonyOne on 25 November, 2013, 18:18
As an Australian, I would just like to say screw spiders. Worst creatures to have ever evolved on this earth. As an Englishman, I'd like to ask how you cope living in Australia with a fear of spiders? I mean I am absolutely petrified of them, decent sized house spiders make me freeze on the spot, but that's why I'm so thankful to have been born on my safe North West European island where they're pretty much the worst I have to worry about, I can't imagine living in Australia, the demonic spider capital of the planet as far as I'm concerned!
Comment icon #13 Posted by kapow53 on 26 November, 2013, 1:58
As an Englishman, I'd like to ask how you cope living in Australia with a fear of spiders? I mean I am absolutely petrified of them, decent sized house spiders make me freeze on the spot, but that's why I'm so thankful to have been born on my safe North West European island where they're pretty much the worst I have to worry about, I can't imagine living in Australia, the demonic spider capital of the planet as far as I'm concerned! I agree, living in Florida it's hard not to accidently walk through webs. I've been bitten a few times and it can be bad. May even require a trip to the Dr. The an... [More]
Comment icon #14 Posted by pallidin on 26 November, 2013, 9:18
To be sure, spiders have their place in Nature. But, I sure don't want one crawling on my skin or on my food. Yuck.
Comment icon #15 Posted by ShortyStuff on 27 November, 2013, 6:09
They're just trying to do their part and add a little protein to the vegan diet.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats on 27 November, 2013, 6:22
As an Englishman, I'd like to ask how you cope living in Australia with a fear of spiders? I mean I am absolutely petrified of them, decent sized house spiders make me freeze on the spot, but that's why I'm so thankful to have been born on my safe North West European island where they're pretty much the worst I have to worry about, I can't imagine living in Australia, the demonic spider capital of the planet as far as I'm concerned! Fear is good, it's what keeps us here in Australia alive. We live, after all, in a country where even the weather is trying to brutally murder us all. We check the... [More]
Comment icon #17 Posted by TopToffee on 27 November, 2013, 7:14
I got bitten on my bottom once,whilst abroad.It stung for days and made sitting down pretty uncomfortable,i can tell you.

Man swims in 1,500-gallon pool of Coca-Cola
6-30-2016
The remarkable stunt saw a man jump in to a pool filled with several thousand bottles of fizzy drink.
Disclosure advocate releases NORAD UFO files
6-30-2016
Victor Viggiani released the documents to the public during the Alien Cosmic Expo event on Saturday.
Scientists succeed in making their own lava
6-29-2016
A team from the State University of New York at Buffalo created their own magma as part of an experiment.
Ghostly hand turns up in 116-year-old photo
6-29-2016
A photograph taken of workers at a linen mill over a century ago appears to contain an unexpected extra.
Tim Peake back on Earth
Posted 6-29-2016 | 1 comment
An interview with astronaut Tim Peake about his time aboard the space station.

How MythBusters saved a woman's life
Posted 6-27-2016 | 3 comments
A woman whose car careened in to a lake was saved by an episode of MythBusters.

Real-life dire wolves
Posted 6-26-2016 | 4 comments
The huge wolves in Game of Thrones actually existed 300,000 years ago.

Teaching a gorilla to talk
Posted 6-25-2016 | 8 comments
A western lowland gorilla named Koko was taught from an early age to use sign language.

Man puts 496 straws in his mouth
Posted 6-24-2016 | 3 comments
Guinness Rishi manages to cram 496 drinking straws in to his mouth at the same time.

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah