Thursday, December 14, 2017

Black widows found in supermarket grapes

Posted on Sunday, 24 November, 2013 | Comment icon 17 comments

Black widows possess a potentially deadly bite. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Konrad Summers
A shopper who had bought a bunch of grapes returned home to find more than she had bargained for.
Yvonne Whalen had bought the grapes from a Giant Food Stores in Pennsylvania and had been washing them at home when she spotted something unexpected moving inside the bunch. The unwelcome visitor turned out to be a black widow spider, an arachnid capable of delivering a very nasty bite.

"I quickly dropped the colander and screamed," she said. "My first thought was to use a hose and force it down the drain into the garbage disposal."

Yvonne later found a second black widow in the same bunch of grapes however it appeared to already be dead. An analysis of the spiders later confirmed that they were indeed black widows.

Cases of spiders and other insects hitching a ride in fruit shipments have been on the rise in recent years. Earlier in the month a shopper who bought grapes from an Aldi store in Wisconsin also came across a dead black widow that had managed to hide inside the bunch.

Source: Metro | Comments (17)

Tags: Spider

Comment icon #8 Posted by _Only on 24 November, 2013, 19:35
Where is the quality control?? I find it hard to believe that there is no inspection of the fruit before its packaged. And Spiders Suck. Produce boxes and grape bags in particular often have holes (intended) in them. So the spider really could have crawled in at any point from grapes being put into its shipping container to going into the woman's house.
Comment icon #9 Posted by beelzebufo on 24 November, 2013, 23:40
I grew up in a house that had black widows living in the basement. Finding one in my grapes wouldn't be a huge deal. I'm numb to the horror.
Comment icon #10 Posted by homo.liberis on 25 November, 2013, 3:37
I don't share my home with anything with more than 6 legs. My bed with anything with more than 4 legs. And my bath with anything with more than 2 legs. Not negotiable!
Comment icon #11 Posted by TopToffee on 25 November, 2013, 5:36
Where is the quality control?? I find it hard to believe that there is no inspection of the fruit before its packaged. And Spiders Suck. Quality Control guy got bitten.Should be a new one along soon.
Comment icon #12 Posted by TheSpoonyOne on 25 November, 2013, 18:18
As an Australian, I would just like to say screw spiders. Worst creatures to have ever evolved on this earth. As an Englishman, I'd like to ask how you cope living in Australia with a fear of spiders? I mean I am absolutely petrified of them, decent sized house spiders make me freeze on the spot, but that's why I'm so thankful to have been born on my safe North West European island where they're pretty much the worst I have to worry about, I can't imagine living in Australia, the demonic spider capital of the planet as far as I'm concerned!
Comment icon #13 Posted by kapow53 on 26 November, 2013, 1:58
As an Englishman, I'd like to ask how you cope living in Australia with a fear of spiders? I mean I am absolutely petrified of them, decent sized house spiders make me freeze on the spot, but that's why I'm so thankful to have been born on my safe North West European island where they're pretty much the worst I have to worry about, I can't imagine living in Australia, the demonic spider capital of the planet as far as I'm concerned! I agree, living in Florida it's hard not to accidently walk through webs. I've been bitten a few times and it can be bad. May even require a trip to the Dr. The an... [More]
Comment icon #14 Posted by pallidin on 26 November, 2013, 9:18
To be sure, spiders have their place in Nature. But, I sure don't want one crawling on my skin or on my food. Yuck.
Comment icon #15 Posted by ShortyStuff on 27 November, 2013, 6:09
They're just trying to do their part and add a little protein to the vegan diet.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats on 27 November, 2013, 6:22
As an Englishman, I'd like to ask how you cope living in Australia with a fear of spiders? I mean I am absolutely petrified of them, decent sized house spiders make me freeze on the spot, but that's why I'm so thankful to have been born on my safe North West European island where they're pretty much the worst I have to worry about, I can't imagine living in Australia, the demonic spider capital of the planet as far as I'm concerned! Fear is good, it's what keeps us here in Australia alive. We live, after all, in a country where even the weather is trying to brutally murder us all. We check the... [More]
Comment icon #17 Posted by TopToffee on 27 November, 2013, 7:14
I got bitten on my bottom once,whilst abroad.It stung for days and made sitting down pretty uncomfortable,i can tell you.

'Mannequin Skywalker' launch is successful
12-13-2017
Private space firm Blue Origin has completed a successful test launch of its rocket and crew capsule.
'Mystery creature' filmed by Sydney family
12-13-2017
65-year-old Fethi Ada and his family had been out fishing when they encountered something rather unusual.
Blood-filled parasites found trapped in amber
12-13-2017
Palaeontologists have discovered prehistoric parasites that once fed on the blood of dinosaurs.
Man-sized penguin fossil found in New Zealand
12-12-2017
The remains of an enormous prehistoric penguin have been found on a beach to the south of Christchurch.
Einstein's brain
Posted 12-13-2017 | 0 comments
After he died, legendary physicist Albert Einstein's brain was preserved for study.

Is happiness contagious ?
Posted 12-12-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to become happy by hanging out with other people who are happy ?

Megalodon - the largest shark in history
Posted 12-11-2017 | 0 comments
A look at Megalodon - a truly monstrous creature that once roamed Eath's oceans.

Pizza night - in space
Posted 12-8-2017 | 0 comments
ISS astronauts try their hand at putting together pizzas high up in orbit around the Earth.

Pelican invasion
Posted 12-7-2017 | 0 comments
This curious pelican decided to invade the director's tent during a BBC film shoot.

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States

Ouija board experience
12-10-2017 | Ohio

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom