Sunday, January 22, 2017

Scientists film how brain makes memories

Posted on Wednesday, 29 January, 2014 | Comment icon 8 comments

The human brain remains an enigma we barely understand. Image Credit: sxc.hu
For the first time ever, researchers have caught on video the process responsible for memory formation.
The remarkable footage depicts the complex processes of memory formation which involve changes to the molecular structures and synaptic transmissions of the brain.

One of the biggest challenges was making the neurons visible enough to record. Researchers at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Yeshiva University managed to solve this by tagging certain molecules with fluorescent markers.

"This observation that neurons selectively activate protein synthesis and then shut it off fits perfectly with how we think memories are made," said lead researcher Robert Singer. "Frequent stimulation of the neuron would make mRNA available in frequent, controlled bursts, causing beta-actin protein to accumulate precisely where it's needed to strengthen the synapse."

Source: io9.com | Comments (8)

Tags: Memory, Brain

Comment icon #1 Posted by Calibeliever on 29 January, 2014, 18:06
How soon before you can copy my brain to a sotrage device? We're running out of time guys.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Xynoplas on 29 January, 2014, 19:04
Comment icon #3 Posted by Calibeliever on 29 January, 2014, 19:49
I hate how science writers feel they have to put extra spin on stories: "It kind of sounds like a computer storing data bits into a hard drive!" "If there's a soul, this how it gets made." So does my computer have a soul? Help me figure this one out... Not yet, I would think. Then again, what is thinking? Slippery slope
Comment icon #4 Posted by zillarancher on 29 January, 2014, 20:21
Science is freaking insane.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Rhino666 on 30 January, 2014, 13:15
I want to see what a dirty thought looks like.
Comment icon #6 Posted by RazielKTB on 31 January, 2014, 11:40
Since public hears about inovations about 30 year latter, it is probably that tech to download ones soul already exists
Comment icon #7 Posted by FizzPuff on 2 February, 2014, 3:53
That is actually pretty cool!For some reason I can see people wanting to mess with this after they've found enough information on this.
Comment icon #8 Posted by spacecowboy342 on 2 February, 2014, 3:56
I hate how science writers feel they have to put extra spin on stories: "It kind of sounds like a computer storing data bits into a hard drive!" "If there's a soul, this how it gets made." So does my computer have a soul? Help me figure this one out... I don't think my computer has a soul, but I don't think I do either. I do think they will soon have pictures of thoughts being produced.

Some of us are able to 'hear' flashes of light
1-21-2017
Scientists have identified a form of synaesthesia that may affect more than one fifth of the population.
Fresh doubts cast on Tunguska impact theory
1-21-2017
Russian scientists have found evidence to suggest that the impact crater may predate the event itself.
Mystery surrounds Skittles spill in Wisconsin
1-21-2017
Authorities have been investigating how thousands of Skittles ended up scattered across a rural highway.
Nearby planet Wolf 1061c may be habitable
1-20-2017
Astronomers believe that a planet 14 light years away may be a promising place to look for alien life.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
What would happen if you fell 365 meters ?
Posted 1-21-2017 | 2 comments
A look at what would happen if you were unfortunate enough to fall from a great height.

A colorful 'landing' on Pluto
Posted 1-20-2017 | 0 comments
This NASA movie explores would it might be like to land on the dwarf planet Pluto.

The future of warfare
Posted 1-19-2017 | 2 comments
Drone armies and laser cannons may become increasingly common in the near future.

Phantom vehicle
1-6-2017 | Ramer, United States

True ghost stories
1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.

A 15-year-old predicted my future!
12-21-2016 | Katherine, Australia

The haunted pond
12-21-2016 | Essex, Ontario, Canada

The haunted hospital
12-28-2016 | New Plymouth, New Zealand

Loud crash in the night
12-17-2016 | Pennsylvania

Mysterious woman in a blue dress
12-17-2016 | Northern Ireland