Monday, February 20, 2017

Scientists film how brain makes memories

Posted on Wednesday, 29 January, 2014 | Comment icon 8 comments

The human brain remains an enigma we barely understand. Image Credit: sxc.hu
For the first time ever, researchers have caught on video the process responsible for memory formation.
The remarkable footage depicts the complex processes of memory formation which involve changes to the molecular structures and synaptic transmissions of the brain.

One of the biggest challenges was making the neurons visible enough to record. Researchers at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Yeshiva University managed to solve this by tagging certain molecules with fluorescent markers.

"This observation that neurons selectively activate protein synthesis and then shut it off fits perfectly with how we think memories are made," said lead researcher Robert Singer. "Frequent stimulation of the neuron would make mRNA available in frequent, controlled bursts, causing beta-actin protein to accumulate precisely where it's needed to strengthen the synapse."

Source: io9.com | Comments (8)

Tags: Memory, Brain

Comment icon #1 Posted by Calibeliever on 29 January, 2014, 18:06
How soon before you can copy my brain to a sotrage device? We're running out of time guys.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Xynoplas on 29 January, 2014, 19:04
Comment icon #3 Posted by Calibeliever on 29 January, 2014, 19:49
I hate how science writers feel they have to put extra spin on stories: "It kind of sounds like a computer storing data bits into a hard drive!" "If there's a soul, this how it gets made." So does my computer have a soul? Help me figure this one out... Not yet, I would think. Then again, what is thinking? Slippery slope
Comment icon #4 Posted by zillarancher on 29 January, 2014, 20:21
Science is freaking insane.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Rhino666 on 30 January, 2014, 13:15
I want to see what a dirty thought looks like.
Comment icon #6 Posted by RazielKTB on 31 January, 2014, 11:40
Since public hears about inovations about 30 year latter, it is probably that tech to download ones soul already exists
Comment icon #7 Posted by FizzPuff on 2 February, 2014, 3:53
That is actually pretty cool!For some reason I can see people wanting to mess with this after they've found enough information on this.
Comment icon #8 Posted by spacecowboy342 on 2 February, 2014, 3:56
I hate how science writers feel they have to put extra spin on stories: "It kind of sounds like a computer storing data bits into a hard drive!" "If there's a soul, this how it gets made." So does my computer have a soul? Help me figure this one out... I don't think my computer has a soul, but I don't think I do either. I do think they will soon have pictures of thoughts being produced.

'Tully monster' mystery continues to endure
2-20-2017
A peculiar prehistoric discovery has left scientists scratching their heads for more than five decades.
Ship set to be deliberately trapped in ice
2-20-2017
Scientists are planning to sail a research vessel to the Arctic so it can get stuck in the ice on purpose.
NASA proposes redefining the word 'planet'
2-20-2017
The move, if successful, could mean that our own solar system actually has more than 100 planets in it.
SpaceX Cape Canaveral launch is a success
2-19-2017
The private space firm has successfully launched a Falcon 9 rocket from NASA's Kennedy Space Center.
Featured book

By Guy Lyon Playfair
A look at the story of Peggy Hodgson and her four children who, between 1977 and 1979, were at the center of one of the most terrifying poltergeist cases ever documented.
'Spider Boy' contortionist
Posted 2-20-2017 | 2 comments
Teenager Mohammed Alsheikh performed 38 full body spins while maintaining a chest stand.

Slow motion football explosion
Posted 2-19-2017 | 0 comments
What happens when you over-inflate a football ? The Slo Mo Guys investigate.

Long-term space travel and isolation
Posted 2-18-2017 | 1 comment
Not everyone is cut out for the isolation of traveling long distances through space.

Saved by a stranger

1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.