Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Scientists film how brain makes memories

Posted on Wednesday, 29 January, 2014 | Comment icon 8 comments

The human brain remains an enigma we barely understand. Image Credit: sxc.hu
For the first time ever, researchers have caught on video the process responsible for memory formation.
The remarkable footage depicts the complex processes of memory formation which involve changes to the molecular structures and synaptic transmissions of the brain.

One of the biggest challenges was making the neurons visible enough to record. Researchers at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Yeshiva University managed to solve this by tagging certain molecules with fluorescent markers.

"This observation that neurons selectively activate protein synthesis and then shut it off fits perfectly with how we think memories are made," said lead researcher Robert Singer. "Frequent stimulation of the neuron would make mRNA available in frequent, controlled bursts, causing beta-actin protein to accumulate precisely where it's needed to strengthen the synapse."

Source: io9.com | Comments (8)

Tags: Memory, Brain

Comment icon #1 Posted by Calibeliever on 29 January, 2014, 18:06
How soon before you can copy my brain to a sotrage device? We're running out of time guys.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Xynoplas on 29 January, 2014, 19:04
Comment icon #3 Posted by Calibeliever on 29 January, 2014, 19:49
I hate how science writers feel they have to put extra spin on stories: "It kind of sounds like a computer storing data bits into a hard drive!" "If there's a soul, this how it gets made." So does my computer have a soul? Help me figure this one out... Not yet, I would think. Then again, what is thinking? Slippery slope
Comment icon #4 Posted by zillarancher on 29 January, 2014, 20:21
Science is freaking insane.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Rhino666 on 30 January, 2014, 13:15
I want to see what a dirty thought looks like.
Comment icon #6 Posted by RazielKTB on 31 January, 2014, 11:40
Since public hears about inovations about 30 year latter, it is probably that tech to download ones soul already exists
Comment icon #7 Posted by FizzPuff on 2 February, 2014, 3:53
That is actually pretty cool!For some reason I can see people wanting to mess with this after they've found enough information on this.
Comment icon #8 Posted by spacecowboy342 on 2 February, 2014, 3:56
I hate how science writers feel they have to put extra spin on stories: "It kind of sounds like a computer storing data bits into a hard drive!" "If there's a soul, this how it gets made." So does my computer have a soul? Help me figure this one out... I don't think my computer has a soul, but I don't think I do either. I do think they will soon have pictures of thoughts being produced.

Elon Musk to give update on SpaceX Mars plans
9-26-2017
The SpaceX CEO is set to reveal more about his plans to colonize the Red Planet at an event on Friday.
Dubai aims to launch a driverless hover-taxi
9-26-2017
Transport authorities in the United Arab Emirates are hoping to offer an autonomous flying taxi service.
'Doomsday' has been postponed until October
9-25-2017
The man behind this month's doomsday prophecy has pushed the apocalypse back another few weeks.
Spielberg once contributed to UN UFO debate
9-25-2017
The legendary film director has made several movies exploring the themes of UFOs and extraterrestrials.
Slow motion paintball collision
Posted 9-26-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys record two paintballs colliding with one another in mid-air.

Will robots take over all our jobs ?
Posted 9-23-2017 | 1 comment
As computers become increasingly sophisticated, will there be any jobs left for us ?

Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY