Sunday, July 23, 2017

Astronaut recalls encounter with a UFO

Posted on Tuesday, 4 March, 2014 | Comment icon 302 comments

Chiao aboard the space station. Image Credit: NASA
Space veteran Leroy Chiao has recently opened up about an unusual sighting he had in space in 2005.
The pioneering astronaut had been the commander of the International Space Station during his stay there between October 2004 and April 2005. The UFO experience in question took place during a space walk with Russian cosmonaut Salizhan Sharipov.

The two men had been setting up navigational antennae outside the station when Chiao caught sight of a row of lights whizzing past at more than 17,000 miles an hour. He recalled at the time thinking that it was "awfully strange" however Sharipov failed to see them.

The story has since gained significant interest among UFO believers who have argued over whether or not Chiao had witnessed something otherworldly. Skeptics have countered by suggesting that the lights could have been from a fishing boat on the ocean several hundred miles below.

"I'm skeptical of claims," said Chiao on the subject of extraterrestrial visitation. "I don't rule it out 100 percent. I have an open mind and I do believe there's other life in the universe."

Source: Liberty Voice | Comments (302)

Tags: UFO, Astronaut, Leroy Chiao

Comment icon #293 Posted by JimOberg on 14 March, 2014, 1:14
.... So even though we may see things differently, I believe the man be both honorable, and honest with his conclusions. And do not believe he is out to discredit anything. Thanks, Forever formerly-called-cursed-but-hereafter-known-to-me-as-'Blessed'. It's better than that, even -- I have no way to disprove, or reason to doubt, that humanity could be under observation by non-human intelligence who remain as undetectable as THEY prefer. I have plenty of reason to hold the opinion that numerous human groups have exploited public interest in UFOs as camouflage for their own actions, often serendi... [More]
Comment icon #294 Posted by quillius on 14 March, 2014, 9:20
Thanks, Forever formerly-called-cursed-but-hereafter-known-to-me-as-'Blessed'. It's better than that, even -- I have no way to disprove, or reason to doubt, that humanity could be under observation by non-human intelligence who remain as undetectable as THEY prefer. I have plenty of reason to hold the opinion that numerous human groups have exploited public interest in UFOs as camouflage for their own actions, often serendipitously, occasionally on purpose. And the degree of human misinterpretation of some kinds of stimuli is absolutely unbelievable until you have enough well-documented occasi... [More]
Comment icon #295 Posted by seeder on 14 March, 2014, 16:28
What a great post Jim. I think this somehow captures the position of many of us on this subject. Indeed - I'm with quillius
Comment icon #296 Posted by sinewave on 15 March, 2014, 17:54
i wonder why astronauts, such as Gordon Cooper, aren't contributors to a Forum like this? i imagine 'they' are very disinterested in the mal-eloquent posturing of uninformed "critical thinkers" who insist that any incidence of contact with "flying saucers" is erroneous and/or cannot be substantiated. I, for one, am much more inclined to believe the first hand accounts of honorable men; as opposed to the "researched" conclusions of armchair observers. Or perhaps they want to see something more than a story told by someone they don't know let alone trust. Is that an unreasonable request?
Comment icon #297 Posted by sinewave on 15 March, 2014, 18:00
This really is far afield of the local theme... The DC flyover was the theme of several TV spots my small production company did in the mid-1990s, I was able to interview the AF officer who debriefed the pilots as they returned, and we interviewed other figures still alive forty years later. I have the tapes and ought to put them on youtube sooner or later -- if I mailed somebody a VHS, could they convert it into postable form? The impression from the folks nearest the action was that the pilots were chasing phantoms and shadows -- there was nothing physical up in the air with them. The Walton... [More]
Comment icon #298 Posted by Jeepguy2014 on 11 April, 2014, 23:36
So when did he first report this? Seems strange that he was the only one who saw it....could it have been a reflection on his vizor? And how did he work out they were going at 17,000 miles an hour? Maybe he had some help calculating the speed by having NASA re-play the video in slow motion. You know there has to be a video of this as surly they record anytime the astronauts are outside of the space station.
Comment icon #299 Posted by JimOberg on 12 April, 2014, 4:07
Maybe he had some help calculating the speed by having NASA re-play the video in slow motion. You know there has to be a video of this as surly they record anytime the astronauts are outside of the space station. Old American humorist Will Rogers: "It ain't what you don't know what makes you look foolish, it's what you DO know what ain't so." Your comment is a perfect illustration of why so many UFO eager-believers are so easily dismissed as fantasy-prone individuals. More's the pity, we share so many motives and fascinations.
Comment icon #300 Posted by ChrLzs on 12 April, 2014, 5:34
The DC flyover was the theme of several TV spots my small production company did in the mid-1990s, I was able to interview the AF officer who debriefed the pilots as they returned, and we interviewed other figures still alive forty years later. I have the tapes and ought to put them on youtube sooner or later -- if I mailed somebody a VHS, could they convert it into postable form? The impression from the folks nearest the action was that the pilots were chasing phantoms and shadows -- there was nothing physical up in the air with them. Sadly I didn't see this earlier - I'd love to see that foo... [More]
Comment icon #301 Posted by bendigger0 on 12 April, 2014, 18:49
Comment icon #302 Posted by Merc14 on 12 April, 2014, 21:22
'STAND-DOWN AMERICA' There's "nothing there" say Experts, "phantoms and shadows". Go crazy America, there is always "something there" say "experts".

Did sea creatures push US in to Vietnam War ?
7-22-2017
Back in 1964, the Gulf of Tonkin incident resulted in a renewed commitment to war with Vietnam.
Scientist has 'solved' the Bermuda Triangle
7-22-2017
Dr Karl Kruszelnicki maintains that the answer to the mystery lies in little more than basic human error.
Scientists develop bizarre worm-like robot
7-22-2017
Stanford University researchers have built a robot that can literally worm its way around anything.
Mystery of Abe Lincoln's Bixby letter solved
7-21-2017
Forensic linguists have 'almost certainly' determined who really wrote the famous Civil War-era letter.
Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 0 comments

Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?

The man who swims towards sharks
Posted 7-18-2017 | 1 comment
Marine biologist Yannis doesn't avoid sharks, he deliberately seeks them out.

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI