Saturday, September 5, 2015   |   4,265 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Flying cars may be available within 10 years

Posted on Tuesday, 6 May, 2014 | Comment icon 20 comments

An artist's impression of the TF-X. Image Credit: YouTube / Terrafugia
US company Terrafugia is developing a new flying car concept that could fit in your garage at home.
The vision of a future world filled with flying cars is something that has been explored in science fiction for years, but if Terrafugia's new TF-X flying car manages to deliver on its promises then it could make this concept a reality a lot sooner than we think.

The company's new vehicle is able to seat four passengers and is small enough that, with its wings folded down, it can fit in to the average household garage. In addition to this the car has vertical takeoff and landing capabilities while requiring only a minimal five hours of training to pilot thanks to being mostly controlled by a central computer network.

Costing an estimated $280,000 the TF-X will perhaps remain a toy for the super-rich when it finally does become available, but if it works well then it is likely that competing models from other manufacturers will eventually drive down prices.

"Don't think of it as a car that flies," said Terrafugia's Carl Dietrich. "Think of it as a plane that drives."

Source: CNBC | Comments (20)

Tags: Terrafugia, Flying Car

Comment icon #11 Posted by AB Hammer on 6 May, 2014, 23:00
Flying cars? SCARE ME!. I live in the south and a drunk in a flying car? Now you have to watch from above as well? I was almost taken out by a drunk driver on the road twice and that is 2 to many. Keep the flying to planes and future anti gravity.
Comment icon #12 Posted by g00dfella on 6 May, 2014, 23:05
This idea just isn't going to fly... Estimated cost of $280k? I'm assuming as with most estimates, cost always goes up at production time. You can get a helicopter for much less than that, but you don't see many people going that route, I suspect the same when this is on the market.
Comment icon #13 Posted by g00dfella on 6 May, 2014, 23:10
Ya'll have to read the article before some of these comments...How many McClarens do you see out on the road? Exactly...
Comment icon #14 Posted by Whisperer on 7 May, 2014, 0:38
I still want one!
Comment icon #15 Posted by AB Hammer on 7 May, 2014, 2:00
Greetings timestamp Yes I understood. I just figured I would try to put a little humor into a impractical idea. At least not until anti-gravity anyway.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Silver Surfer on 7 May, 2014, 12:42
I dunno there is a lot of room up there and with the way technology is coming.. I don't think its far fetched at all. Sure not in 10 years.. but still. Times they are a changing and IF they can get the accuracy correct and proven... what is the hold back?
Comment icon #17 Posted by Junior Chubb on 7 May, 2014, 12:58
Surely you would be against this, cars in the air getting in the way of the Silver Surfer?
Comment icon #18 Posted by TheGreatBeliever on 7 May, 2014, 15:18
Actually hovering vehicles were already invented years ago..
Comment icon #19 Posted by ShortyStuff on 7 May, 2014, 18:26
I remember a Popular Science article back in the 60's that said basically the same thing. So this is just 50 year old news rehashed.
Comment icon #20 Posted by fred_mc on 10 May, 2014, 6:04
I don't believe in any success for this. I saw in a TV program that flying cars have actually been developed by several companies ever since the 1950s but they haven't gotten any success. I guess the main problem is that the moment this vehicle lifts from the ground, it is according to regulations considered to be an airplane, with all what that means, that you need a pilot's license etc. Furthermore, if there were many vehicles like this in the air, the risk of collision would probably be too big, and there wouldn't be enough air traffic controllers to keep track of all of ... [More]

UFO sighting over Japan
8-13-2015 | Japan

Twin UFOs on patrol
8-6-2015 | England

Something roaming in the woods
7-19-2015 | Salt Fork, Ohio

Strange growl
7-16-2015 | Yakima, WA

Loud screeching in the woods
7-10-2015 | Kansas, IL

Was she my spirit guide?
7-3-2015 | Ringgold, Georgia, USA

Floating above my bed
7-2-2015 | Brittany, France

The haunted Queenslander
7-2-2015 | Queensland, Australia

'IT' was there to take me!
7-2-2015 | Ringgold, Georgia, USA