Sunday, August 20, 2017

Flying cars may be available within 10 years

Posted on Tuesday, 6 May, 2014 | Comment icon 20 comments

An artist's impression of the TF-X. Image Credit: YouTube / Terrafugia
US company Terrafugia is developing a new flying car concept that could fit in your garage at home.
The vision of a future world filled with flying cars is something that has been explored in science fiction for years, but if Terrafugia's new TF-X flying car manages to deliver on its promises then it could make this concept a reality a lot sooner than we think.

The company's new vehicle is able to seat four passengers and is small enough that, with its wings folded down, it can fit in to the average household garage. In addition to this the car has vertical takeoff and landing capabilities while requiring only a minimal five hours of training to pilot thanks to being mostly controlled by a central computer network.

Costing an estimated $280,000 the TF-X will perhaps remain a toy for the super-rich when it finally does become available, but if it works well then it is likely that competing models from other manufacturers will eventually drive down prices.

"Don't think of it as a car that flies," said Terrafugia's Carl Dietrich. "Think of it as a plane that drives."

Source: CNBC | Comments (20)

Tags: Terrafugia, Flying Car

Comment icon #11 Posted by AB Hammer on 6 May, 2014, 23:00
Comment icon #12 Posted by g00dfella on 6 May, 2014, 23:05
This idea just isn't going to fly... Estimated cost of $280k? I'm assuming as with most estimates, cost always goes up at production time. You can get a helicopter for much less than that, but you don't see many people going that route, I suspect the same when this is on the market.
Comment icon #13 Posted by g00dfella on 6 May, 2014, 23:10
Flying cars? SCARE ME!. I live in the south and a drunk in a flying car? Now you have to watch from above as well? I was almost taken out by a drunk driver on the road twice and that is 2 to many. Keep the flying to planes and future anti gravity. Ya'll have to read the article before some of these comments...How many McClarens do you see out on the road? Exactly...
Comment icon #14 Posted by Whisperer on 7 May, 2014, 0:38
I still want one!
Comment icon #15 Posted by AB Hammer on 7 May, 2014, 2:00
Ya'll have to read the article before some of these comments...How many McClarens do you see out on the road? Exactly... Greetings timestamp Yes I understood. I just figured I would try to put a little humor into a impractical idea. At least not until anti-gravity anyway.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Silver Surfer on 7 May, 2014, 12:42
Comment icon #17 Posted by Junior Chubb on 7 May, 2014, 12:58
I dunno there is a lot of room up there and with the way technology is coming.. I don't think its far fetched at all. Sure not in 10 years.. but still. Times they are a changing and IF they can get the accuracy correct and proven... what is the hold back? Surely you would be against this, cars in the air getting in the way of the Silver Surfer?
Comment icon #18 Posted by TheGreatBeliever on 7 May, 2014, 15:18
Actually hovering vehicles were already invented years ago..
Comment icon #19 Posted by ShortyStuff on 7 May, 2014, 18:26
I remember a Popular Science article back in the 60's that said basically the same thing. So this is just 50 year old news rehashed.
Comment icon #20 Posted by fred_mc on 10 May, 2014, 6:04
I don't believe in any success for this. I saw in a TV program that flying cars have actually been developed by several companies ever since the 1950s but they haven't gotten any success. I guess the main problem is that the moment this vehicle lifts from the ground, it is according to regulations considered to be an airplane, with all what that means, that you need a pilot's license etc. Furthermore, if there were many vehicles like this in the air, the risk of collision would probably be too big, and there wouldn't be enough air traffic controllers to keep track of all of them.

'Apocalyptic' cloud hangs over town in Brazil
8-19-2017
Residents of Teixeira de Freitas were treated to a rather unusual and unnerving spectacle this week.
Mysterious doors appear across Nova Scotia
8-19-2017
The freestanding doors have turned up in several towns, leaving local residents scratching their heads.
Can the Yellowstone supervolcano be stopped ?
8-19-2017
NASA has come up with an ambitious new plan to cool down the supervolcano by using it as an energy source.
Mars rovers to focus on the search for life
8-18-2017
Two upcoming Mars rover missions will attempt to determine if the Red Planet was once home to life.
Why don't we use our parent's names?
Posted 8-19-2017 | 2 comments
Why do we call our parents mom and dad instead of using their actual names ?

Adam Savage meets an alien
Posted 8-18-2017 | 2 comments
The former MythBuster checks out the animatronic alien from the movie Alien Covenant.

Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY

Shapeshifter
8-18-2017 | Cranbrook British Columbia

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia